• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Book out now 'Science, Politics, .......and ME' by Ian Gibson and Elaine Sherriffs

Jo Best

Science, Politics, .......and ME by Ian Gibson and Elaine Sherriffs is available to buy now. Ian Gibson is a member of Invest in ME Research Advisory Board. Please this referral link to search for the book on Amazon as it generates a donation to the charity at no extra cost to buy - http://amzn.to/2mL7OcH
or this referral link direct to the book -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1543183786/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488798411&sr=8-1&keywords=science politics and me (short link - http://amzn.to/2mecpTn)

Few diseases can have been so maligned by false information, so manipulated by an insidious establishment-controlled ideology, or so poorly dealt with by those holding the purse-strings for research into the disease, than Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).

This book examines a scandal in our generation - a scandal still being played out by corrupt, apathetic, inept or ignorant attitudes in governments and Medical Research Councils and health services.

Please use this link to Amazon to search for the book - Buy from Amazon

Thank you for your support.

Source - http://www.investinme.org/IIME-Newslet-1508-01.shtml

Dr Ian Gibson announced at the 10th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2015 that he was planning on writing a book about ME - and the politics and prejudice which has affected the way that ME is perceived, treated, researched and funded - as well as the resultant effects on patients and their families.

Now, after 10 years of IIMEC* conferences, and the tenth anniversary of the Gibson Inquiry, and when change is slowly managing to creep into establishment organisations, Dr Gibson feels it is necessary to look at the effects that politics and the actions of some have influenced the way ME has been, and continues to be the subject of misrepresentation, inappropriate media reporting, ineffective research funding and a pervading prejudice that needs to be exposed. Full background and links here - http://www.investinme.org/IIME-Newslet-1508-01.shtml

IG book.jpg
IG book.jpg

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
It would be good if anyone who wants this book buys it now, to give it some sales velocity so that Amazon ranks it highly (speed of sales, as opposed to total sales, is partly what drives Amazon rankings).

And be sure to leave a review!

Binkie4

Would it be a good idea to operationalise the link above in Jo's description? That wasn't leading anywhere when I just tried it.

Would it be a good idea to operationalise the link above in Jo's description? That wasn't leading anywhere when I just tried it.
Jo's link seems to be a general shopping referral link for IiME, so if you continued to shop with Amazon having followed that link then IiME should get their (most probably tiny) cut. To maximise potential sales of the book and referrals for IiME hopefully they'll start giving out the newer link, nowadays people don't expect to have to search for an item when they are given a link to follow.

hellytheelephant

I have created a list of reviewed books about ME and illness http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...relating-to-me-for-patients-and-others.49067/

The idea is to be a resource with a wide spread of the books available.

I am not up to reading this interesting book, but to those who have already ordered, please review it on the above link, so that people can get a quick idea of if it is for them.

many thanks, H

Jo Best

I wasn't sure whether giving a direct link via the referral link works, so I copied what IiME had put on their site i.e. asking people to search for the book using the referral link. Thanks for following it up Andy.
Is it not possible to create a direct link to the book's page on amazon, one that incorporates the referral ID?
Jo's link seems to be a general shopping referral link for IiME, so if you continued to shop with Amazon having followed that link then IiME should get their (most probably tiny) cut. To maximise potential sales of the book and referrals for IiME hopefully they'll start giving out the newer link, nowadays people don't expect to have to search for an item when they are given a link to follow.

SilverbladeTE

It's good to see that folk are now publicly calling what has happened to us FRAUD and CORRUPTION, because that's exactly what it is.
and since it deals with serious medical health issues, that then also makes it murder when any of us die because of those abuses.

Jo Best

Thank you. I've added the direct link to the book via the referral link to the post now. As Andy said, the other link will work as the charity's referral link for any purchases, but Amazon doesn't make it clear on the site.

Old Bones

I've regrettably noticed that on-line petitions and email advocacy efforts have not been as effective with respect to ME as they may have been for other illnesses and issues -- despite the very best efforts and intentions of the initiators and participants. So, to "put my money where my mouth is" . . . .

The book "Science, Politics . . . and ME" is not, (and may not be) available from Amazon in Canada. Nevertheless, I've ordered two copies from the U.S. One is for myself. The other will be sent to Health Minister Philpott, with a personal letter describing how ME has affected the life of this Canadian for almost 30 years. Perhaps that will get her attention.

Jo Best

The book "Science, Politics . . . and ME" is not, (and may not be) available from Amazon in Canada. Nevertheless, I've ordered two copies from the U.S. One is for myself. The other will be sent to Health Minister Philpott, with a personal letter describing how ME has affected the life of this Canadian for almost 30 years. Perhaps that will get her attention.
Great idea, thank you, and I saw that the charity has invited the Canadian Minister for Health Jane Philpott and the Canadian National Research Council to London for the 2017 Invest in ME International Conference events.

Last edited:
I don't know @Sasha sorry, I'm sure they'll announce if or when that's planned, so will try to keep a look out.
If you look to the right of the 'Product Details' section on the Amazon webpage you'll see link that you can click: 'Tell the publisher! I'd like to read this book on Kindle' - this may help encourage them to produce an electronic version.

Edit to add: I wonder where the spider is.... back cover maybe?

Last edited:

Jo Best

If you look to the right of the 'Product Details' section on the Amazon webpage you'll see link that you can click: 'Tell the publisher! I'd like to read this book on Kindle' - this may help encourage them to produce an electronic version.
Thanks! :thumbsup:
Edit to add: I wonder where the spider is.... back cover maybe?
Good point! :eek: :cautious: