James Coyne “lays waste” to PACE trial in Edinburgh
Sasha summarises Professor James Coyne's recent no-holds-barred talk on the PACE trial and points you to the slides, video, audio and transcript.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Book out now 'Science, Politics, .......and ME' by Ian Gibson and Elaine Sherriffs

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Jo Best, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Science, Politics, .......and ME by Ian Gibson and Elaine Sherriffs is available to buy now. Ian Gibson is a member of Invest in ME Research Advisory Board. Please this referral link to search for the book on Amazon as it generates a donation to the charity at no extra cost to buy - http://amzn.to/2mL7OcH
    or this referral link direct to the book -
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1543183786/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488798411&sr=8-1&keywords=science politics and me (short link - http://amzn.to/2mecpTn)

Dr Ian Gibson announced at the 10th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2015 that he was planning on writing a book about ME - and the politics and prejudice which has affected the way that ME is perceived, treated, researched and funded - as well as the resultant effects on patients and their families.

IG book.jpg IG book.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Tuha, Cohen2, TigerLilea and 31 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Is it not possible to create a direct link to the book's page on amazon, one that incorporates the referral ID?

3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    It would be good if anyone who wants this book buys it now, to give it some sales velocity so that Amazon ranks it highly (speed of sales, as opposed to total sales, is partly what drives Amazon rankings).

And be sure to leave a review!

Mary, Dolphin, dangermouse and 5 others like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Do you know if an e-version is planned, @Jo Best?

Jo Best likes this.
  5. AndyPR

AndyPR I'm a DAD, I Donate, Advocate and Demonstrate

Hampshire, UK
    I've asked for one in the IiME Facebook group. I'll report back with any answer.

MEMum and Binkie4 like this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

Just ordered via Amazon. Arriving tomorrow.

MEMum, Mary, Old Bones and 2 others like this.
  7. AndyPR

Hampshire, UK
    MEMum, Mary, Dolphin and 7 others like this.
  8. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

Would it be a good idea to operationalise the link above in Jo's description? That wasn't leading anywhere when I just tried it.

Jo Best likes this.
  9. AndyPR

Hampshire, UK
    Jo's link seems to be a general shopping referral link for IiME, so if you continued to shop with Amazon having followed that link then IiME should get their (most probably tiny) cut. To maximise potential sales of the book and referrals for IiME hopefully they'll start giving out the newer link, nowadays people don't expect to have to search for an item when they are given a link to follow.

MEMum and Binkie4 like this.
  10. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member

S W England
    I have created a list of reviewed books about ME and illness http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...relating-to-me-for-patients-and-others.49067/

The idea is to be a resource with a wide spread of the books available.

I am not up to reading this interesting book, but to those who have already ordered, please review it on the above link, so that people can get a quick idea of if it is for them.

many thanks, H

11. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

I wasn't sure whether giving a direct link via the referral link works, so I copied what IiME had put on their site i.e. asking people to search for the book using the referral link. Thanks for following it up Andy.

AndyPR likes this.
  12. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

I don't know @Sasha sorry, I'm sure they'll announce if or when that's planned, so will try to keep a look out.

Sasha likes this.
  13. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    It's good to see that folk are now publicly calling what has happened to us FRAUD and CORRUPTION, because that's exactly what it is.
    and since it deals with serious medical health issues, that then also makes it murder when any of us die because of those abuses.

14. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Thank you. I've added the direct link to the book via the referral link to the post now. As Andy said, the other link will work as the charity's referral link for any purchases, but Amazon doesn't make it clear on the site.

Binkie4 and AndyPR like this.
  15. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

CANADA
    I've regrettably noticed that on-line petitions and email advocacy efforts have not been as effective with respect to ME as they may have been for other illnesses and issues -- despite the very best efforts and intentions of the initiators and participants. So, to "put my money where my mouth is" . . . .

The book "Science, Politics . . . and ME" is not, (and may not be) available from Amazon in Canada. Nevertheless, I've ordered two copies from the U.S. One is for myself. The other will be sent to Health Minister Philpott, with a personal letter describing how ME has affected the life of this Canadian for almost 30 years. Perhaps that will get her attention.

MEMum, alex3619, Cohen2 and 19 others like this.
  16. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Great idea, thank you, and I saw that the charity has invited the Canadian Minister for Health Jane Philpott and the Canadian National Research Council to London for the 2017 Invest in ME International Conference events.

MEMum, Mary, TiredSam and 6 others like this.
  17. Tyto alba

Tyto alba

If you look to the right of the 'Product Details' section on the Amazon webpage you'll see link that you can click: 'Tell the publisher! I'd like to read this book on Kindle' - this may help encourage them to produce an electronic version.

Edit to add: I wonder where the spider is.... back cover maybe?

halcyon, Hutan, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  18. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Thanks! :thumbsup:
    Good point! :eek: :cautious:

Tyto alba likes this.
  19. mango

mango Senior Member

Me too! But arriving in approx 2 weeks...

20. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.