The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Antibodies to adrenergic and muscarinic receptors in ME/CFS" (August 29 blog post)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

paolo, Aubry, Aroa and 10 others like this.
  2. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

This is interesting, it makes me think the following:

Molecular mimicry because of a protein a bacteria produces causes the autoimmunity. Perhaps your leaky gut contains too many of this bacteria, which cause the "MM." So when you eat certain foods, almost any food, this type of bacteria feeds on it and multiples, which would be why you feel terrible almost any time you eat something...

GreyOwl and pibee like this.
  3. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

Food doesn't affect me at all that way.
    As a technical point, I'll note that viruses and parasites seem to trigger CFS/ME/SEID/... as well as bacteria.
    I would expect that pretty much anything which generates an antibody response has the potential in some cases to create antibodies with accidental autoimmunity.

Cam Newton likes this.
  4. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Have you tried an elimination diet? I didn't think food affected me this much either, but since I'm on a diet from Christine Tobback I feel a big difference. Now when I stray from it and eat food that I shouldn't, I do feel toxic.

5. KME

KME

Ireland
    Nice to see converging findings. And these particular antibodies make a lot of sense symptom-wise (for me, anyway).

I thought Loebel et al's study was interesting in this regard too. I'm pasting a bit of a previous post of mine here for energy conservation purposes! Fluge and Mella collaborated with German researchers in a study with Norwegian and German patients looking at more closely at antibodies. The Norwegian patients were in the rituximab trial so they were able to begin to piece together some antibodies that may be at play. Loebel et al say “We provide evidence that 29.5% of patients with CFS had elevated antibodies against one or more M acetylcholine and b adrenergic receptors which are potential biomarkers for response to B-cell depleting therapy.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26399744 (free full access when you click through).

Loebel et al also make an interesting point that regular testing won’t pick up these antibodies:

“Our observation of a decrease of M and b receptor autoantibodies in patients responding to rituximab, in whom levels pre-treatment were within the normal range of control subjects, suggests that we may miss functionally pathogenic antibodies by just assessing quantitative levels by ELISA.”

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    It's an interesting hypothesis, but it is not proven that molecular mimicry is a specific cause of Guillain-Barré syndrome, nor even the form/subset Acute motor axonal neuropathy (AMAN) often associated with Campylobacter jejuni. AMAN has been associated with other pathogens such as Zika Virus and likely Diptheria and Tetanus too, suggesting that molecular mimicry is not the primary cause.

paolo likes this.
  7. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Excellent blog @paolo and I am so glad that you are continuing to write and share it with us. I wish I had the ability to read all of your blogs that are in Italian!

I have the autoantibodies to the adrenergic and muscarinic receptors (as you know) and if these turn out to be the biomarker for ME/CFS than it will turn out that was my diagnosis afterall.

Right now, my doctor feels that these autoantibodies show that I have "Autoimmune POTS" and contribute to my muscle weakness (combined with some other autoantibodies that I have). I wish I understood it all better.

pibee, paolo, Gemini and 2 others like this.
  8. vision blue

vision blue

@gingergirl. did you do one of the mayo panels or some other testing place? Do you have a thread where you say more about your autoimmune pots?

Gingergrrl likes this.
  9. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I have a long thread on my experience with IVIG and Rituximab but the autoantibody info is scattered all over the place. You should be able to find it in a Google site search.

I did the Cell Trend Panel from Germany and some Mayo Panels (PAVAL paraneoplastic Panel, Myesthenic & MuSK panel, and I think one other that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Hope this helps!

See more popular forum discussions.