• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ammonia/sulfur issues or start-up...how does one know?

ahmo

My liver is so toxic that I cannot tolerate even homeopathic doses of BHR
My experience over the past 2 years has been that coffee enemas are the strongest medicine I could find for relieving liver problems. And because of liver's downstream actions, relief for gall bladder and adrenals as well. I've compiled my experience and references in a blog post, linked in my signature.

Also, re ammonia, I was chasing my high ammonia for many months. Again, I've recored this in 2 blog posts, one about Candida elimination as a way to decrease ammonia sources, and, more significantly for me, FMN form of B2, which has been remarkable.

Thanks so much Ahmo. I have found that I have elevated ammonia related to gut bacterial infections and that when I'm on abx and have serum ammonia tested it is within normal range. However, reducing superoxide in any way possible, most notably as you describe with Riboflavin Phosphate, would be hugely beneficial. I am taking Douglas labs FMN B2 although I haven't noticed the dramatic shift that you describe. I was mega dosing on P5P due to low bile flow and pyroluria issues and was so mentally deranged that I amy have not noticed what was what. I will try FMN B2 again separately and see if I notice any difference.

About the coffee enemas…. I did do some about a year ago when my bowels had frozen for the first time and I was totally freaked and miserable. And they did work eventually but it was a real struggle and stressful for me to get through them and I hated doing it the entire time. I was so relieved when I didn't have to anymore. BUT… you've raised a very good and valid point so I guess I should think about starting those again. Wouldn't it be great if you could just drink coffee and have the same effect?

I read your brilliant post about the worrier/warrior type which I have been my entire life until it just burnt me out. Despite that, I was able to sustain a fairly high level of functionality all my life until menopause which is when I finally came unglued and all the protective effects of level hormones were no longer there. Rapid aging and oxidative stress on all fronts. I'll read the rest of your posts and follow the links as you clearly have a deep understanding of many of these issues as well as an ability to disseminate the information coherently. Despite all I've learned over the last 6 years dealing with this, I find myself on this forum amazed at what I still don't know and how much more I have to learn. Thanks for the reply and for being so dedicated to the community here online.

ahmo

it was a real struggle and stressful for me to get through them and I hated doing it the entire time.
yep.

Yes, I also have to say menopause was the beginning of a cascade of issues. I only hope by posting some of my experiences I can save someone else a bit of time sorting these things out.:hug:

ETA: not accurate. I suffered life-long hypothyroid, gluten intolerance, deficient B12, folate, zinc,...

Last edited:

dannybex

@mtayl2 ...Just to say I eventually tracked my ongoing and significant ammonia issues to 2 things. Looks like you've got plenty of comments re start-up.
1) I found Both B2 and then B6, as P5P, pushed my ammonia way up. P5P at levels I'd been taking for a year. When I quit, the ammonia cleared after 2-3 days.

Hi @ahmo

I'm curious if you had your ammonia levels tested? I ask because b6/p5p is shown in studies to lower ammonia levels at least in a small fashion. Not sure about B2, but did you quit both of them at the same time?

What kind of high ammonia symptoms did you experience?

Thanks in advance. :)

dannybex

@skyebean
Also, I've increased my molybdenum to 1200mcg daily, as recommended by @aaron_c Seems to also be a help.

I noticed on your blog that you mentioned moly-b in connection with ammonia as well, but I couldn't find any link to molybdenum and ammonia. Is this why you increased you molybdenum dose -- for ammonia detox? Or aldehydes?

ahmo

Hi @ahmo

I'm curious if you had your ammonia levels tested? I ask because b6/p5p is shown in studies to lower ammonia levels at least in a small fashion. Not sure about B2, but did you quit both of them at the same time?

What kind of high ammonia symptoms did you experience?

Thanks in advance. :)
No, I've not had tests. (this is good...I'm really having to think to recall these symptoms;)) I'd get a distinct taste in my mouth, similar to, but not, metallic. Squinty eyes, light-headed, verging on headachey. poss. slight breathlessness, restlessness. I tried the B2 for 3-4 days, before I felt myself drowning in ammonia. A couple months later, FMN form of B2 had a dramatically beneficial effect. The B2 problem, aside from not being co-enzymated, was also probably way to big a dose, as I was titrating from a 100mg capsule.

The p5p was later, when I found I still had problems. I know some of the Bs cause sulfur reactions, which I'm sensitive to. What I didn't add to the above post is that I'm still getting p5p 25mg in my B complex.

Yes, molybdenum. Here's a thread talking about molybdenum. Also, more from aaron_c here.

I switched from using a variety of ammonia-reducing supps to using malic acid, about a year ago. After I did all I could to eliminate sources of ammonia (Candida, SIBO eradication), I began to relate to the remaining symptoms as peroxynitrite, treating them by using various antioxidants. These symptoms are similar/the same, but much less problematic now. Acai, carrots, green and olive leaf teas are my favorites at present.

Last edited: