The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Alzheimer's and Innate Immunity in the Brain

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Learner1, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    BadBadBear, GreyOwl, alkt and 6 others like this.
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

That makes a lot of sense from the herpes simplex virus brain infection theory of ME/CFS.

Maybe the beta amyloid protein is just trying to protect the brain from HSV-1.

This study found that in most Alzheimer's disease brains, the amyloid plaques contain HSV-1 DNA, and 72% of the total HSV-1 DNA in the brain was associated with these plaques.

Whereas in normal aged brains, which contain amyloid plaques at a lower prevalence, 80% of plaques contained HSV-1 DNA, but only 24% of the total HSV-1 DNA in the brain was plaque-associated.

ahmo, BadBadBear, ScottTriGuy and 3 others like this.
  3. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
  4. jpcv

jpcv Senior Member

SE coast, Brazil
    Very interesting, I had already read about it at The excellent blog Microbeminded, there is a interview with Moir.
    Microbeminded is written by Amy Proal, a ME patient.
    There is an intererview also with the researcher that proposed the Vagus nerve theory Of the etiology of ME. It's worth a reading.

Learner1 and ScottTriGuy like this.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I actually wrote to the research team looking into HSV-1 etiologies of Alzheimer's some while ago, and told them about Dr Pridgen's Famvir + celecoxib protocol for targeting HSV-1 in fibromyalgia.

They said they would love to conduct a trial of HSV-1 antivirals for Alzheimer's, but cannot get funding, because very few experts in the world of Alzheimer's research believe that Alzheimer's could be caused by infections, so their grant applications get turned down by these experts.

ahmo, BadBadBear, voner and 2 others like this.
  6. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    Alzheimer's is a light story.

See more popular forum discussions.