1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

23andMe...finally!

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Creekee, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Creekee

Creekee Senior Member

Arizona
    methylation genetic genie.jpg Just starting to dig around for info on these. Whaddaya think? Any input is most appreciated!

Thankyouthankyou!

2. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
  3. Creekee

Creekee Senior Member

Arizona
    Thanks, Lotus. It's done!

4. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Creekee You should ask Caledonia or greenshots. They know a lot about the SNPs. I'm just a beginner.

5. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    me too - is that four homogenous mutations, or have I got that wrong?

6. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    www.heartfixer.com has some useful info. sounds like you are on the right track with methylation...

7. Creekee

Creekee Senior Member

Arizona
    I'm plodding through heartfixer and taking notes. Info is spotty and the gene combos (impacting each other's functions) get very confusing. I think I'm seeing that methyl B12 is not good. And have a high need for methyl folate. But my lil eyeballs keep crossing. This is gonna take awhile!!

8. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    What does it mean if someone is both COMT ++ and VDR Taq ++ such as Creekee is? I looked at Heartfixer's site and he doesn't seem to address this combination.

Creekee likes this.
  9. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Yasko has a better chart than Heartfixer for this on her new "simplified protocol" page. http://www.scribd.com/doc/132017201/Dr-Amy-s-Simplified-Road-Map-to-Health It's about halfway down the page. For your combo of COMT +/+ and VDR Taq +/+, she suggests hydroxycobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. It's somewhere in the middle between the two extremes.

In theory, you should start with SHMT, which is taking folinic. What was your experience with that?

CBS would be next, but A360A is a minor one. It doesn't seem to be an issue for the 2 or 3 people I know who have that one.

C677T is a big one, and you'll likely need methylfolate. Your MTR (processes B12 ) is ok, which is good. You have a couple of MTRRs which is B12 recycling. So some additional B12 is probably in order, but you may not need huge amounts like some others do.

BHMT is the secondary pathway, so some TMG for that.

With a VDR taq +/+, for sure get your vitamin D levels tested, and supplement with that if needed.

Something like Rich's Simplified Protocol might be the ticket for you.

Creekee and Lotus97 like this.
  10. OkRadLakPok

OkRadLakPok

SO MANY of us are COMT ++. Can you imagine what all that fake folic acid in all the bread products does to us?! I make bread now for my family ( I cannot eat bread), but we have to look FAR AND WIDE to find UNENRICHED flour!

11. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I admit I don't know much about SNPs, but maybe you meant MTHFR (instead of COMT) which has a problem with folic acid (that's added to wheat flour)? Also certain DHFR polymorphisms would have a problem with folic acid.

12. Creekee

Creekee Senior Member

Arizona

caledonia,

Thanks so much for the info. A bit of a learning curve on this! That Yaskow chart is super helpful.

I actually started Rich's SMP while I was waiting for my 23andMe results. Had a noticeable increase in energy for about a month, then crashed. A terrific early response to folinic acid (have a thread here called Bouncing off the walls with folinic acid: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/bouncing-off-the-walls-with-folinic-acid.22353/). I would say folinic is very good for me!

I do run low on D, but have been able to stay at about 60 on 5000 ius.

Do you feel TMG is okay despite the COMT + ? Found this on heartfixer.com:
    TMG can be used to stimulate BHMT (but not in COMT (+/+) individuals, who will be sensitive to free methyl groups). I'm still confused how the VDR Taq ++ impacts the ++ COMTs.

I've been slowing increasing SMP supps. About ten weeks since I started. Folinic no longer gives me a thrill (have worked my way up to 800 mcgs). Just got adenoB12 and started a small amount yesterday. Gut problems, fatigue and body pain all giving me trouble. However, 25-year insomnia is completely cured since starting the SMP. Sleeping 9-12 hours a night -- can you believe it?? If that's all I ever get from this, it will have been totally worthwhile!

So appreciate your help here, Caledonia. Big big hug to you!

13. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    How long did the positive effects from folinic acid last? Lecithin has choline which will also stimulate the BHMT pathway. If TMG increases methylation too much for you, you could take extra B3 which uses up methyl groups (mainly SAMe) so they'd sort of cancel each other out (sort of). I've made my biggest recoveries during periods where I got a lot of sleep (10-11+ hours) so that's good news.

14. Creekee

Creekee Senior Member

Arizona
    Thanks, Lotus! I only felt the one super-burst of energy from folinic acid. After that 800 mcg mistake, I started taking 200 mcgs per day without noticeable effect. Slowly worked up to 800 (over the course of two months) and feel no response to the 800 now. Just continue to be very tired and low energy.

But as you say, the abundance of sleep I'm getting can only help...

15. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    It's unlikely, but you could try dropping folinic acid for a few days to make sure you're not one of the people who is unable to process folinic acid. If you don't feel a difference after 4 or 5 days then it's probably something else. Nandixon said he felt better the first day he took folinic, but then gradually got worse:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...d-intolerance-request-for-genetic-data.19168/

16. Creekee

Creekee Senior Member

Arizona
    Hmmm...that's interesting. I have the same SNP status as Nandixon here:

SHMT C1420T rs1979277 is AG

Per that thread:
    I will try dropping the folinic for a few days and see what happens. Thanks, Lotus!

17. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Folinic acid stays in your system a long time so it might take at least 3 days (if not longer) for you to notice.

18. Creekee

Creekee Senior Member

Arizona
    Okay; thank you! I'll let you know how it goes.

19. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Creekee, you replied on my blog post. I used genetic genie too. There is a detox profile you can do, it is similar to the one you already ran. For others, I am digging around on Google and SNPedia and don't know much about them.

20. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I'm not sure why, but I'm skeptical of these Yasko, 23 and ME services. It seems like chart interprepts them different from another chart and what it is to me is confusing as hell. That is not saying much right now with my brain fog. I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out my Medicare Part D!!

See more popular forum discussions.