• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme & Chronic insomnia and family history of psychiatric/CNS disorders

ppodhajski

VERY significative.
Never take zinc without copper and never take copper without zinc

I cannot fully agree with this seeing his noradrenaline levels. It might be the low copper is helping him. Copper is a cofactor for DBH which turns copper in to noradrenaline. If his copper were higher he might have more anxiety/insommnia issues.

http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/P09172

His copper deficiency could be caused by too much pyrroloquinoline quinone, 3,4-dihydroxyphenethylamine, ascorbate, or O2.

Lowering any of those might be better than raising copper. He might just be eating too many amimes.

Always reduce excess before adding.

What are amimes?
Im confused by the urine and saliva. These are unbound values of dopamine and norepinephrine, as well as dhea, isnt it? So they are not being used. Well, plasma dhea is it total? Bound+unbound? Why would unbound dhea be so high?

I was not expecting these results at all
.i was expecting high dht, low daytime cortisol, maybe low dhea, low 3alpha diol G.

I wonder if binding proteins are low...

Why would i have low vitamin d3? I seem to be very sick judging by these. I shoukd have done CRP as well...

Gondwanaland

Copper got my husband out of bed (I assume he got anemic just like me from zinc supplementation since he was on zinc longer than me) and ended his month-long IBS-D. I know people must be very cautious about copper, and just a few days supplementation can solve the problem. I will keep giving the supplement as long as he can't get out of the bed in the morning... I hope the selenium also helps.

He meant amines. Copper is used to break amines down.

The right probiotics can help with that

How about iron, ferritin, RBC count, WBC count?

I am wondering about lactobacillus reuteri, Bifidus strains, and/or resistant starch. Which one should I choose?

The only time I lowered colesterol I was taking 25g of Flaxseed + 25g of Hempseed, daily, in the morning. I measured around 4 weeks after starting and it was lower. Was it the flaxseed ? Is flaxseed resistent starch?

These are the last WBC and RBC I did. I have not retested. From last year:

Eritrocytes 5.27 x10^6 /ul [4.5-5.9]
Hemoglobin 14.8 g/dL [13.0-17.5]
Hematrocyte 45.9% [42.0-52.0]
V.G.M. 87.1 fL [80.0-96.0]
H.G.M. 28.0 pg [28.0-33.0]
C.M.H.G. 32.2 g/dL [33.3 - 36.0]
R.D.W. 14.1% [<14.9]

Leucocytes 5.25x10^3/ul [4.40-11.30]
Neutrophyles 42% [50-70]
Eosinophyles 6% {2.00-4.00]
Basophyles 1% [<1.00]
Lymphocytes 45% [25.00-40.00]
Monocytes 6% [2.00-8.00]
Plaques 195x10^3/ul [150-400]

Reticulocytes 1.2% [0.7-1.7]

Iron 121ug/dL [33-193]
Transferrine 233.0 mg/dL [200.0-360]

Cholesterol total 215mg/dL
Cholesterol LDL 157mg/dL (115-159 is moderate risk)
Triglicerides 55mg/dL [40-160]
Homocysteine 4.94 umol/L [5.00-12.00]

Sodium 142 mEq/L [136-145]
Potassium 4.3 mEq/L [3.5-5.1]
Chlore 102 mEq/L [98-107]
Calcium 9.5 mg/dL [8.6-10]
Magnesium 2.2 mg/dL [1.6-2.6]

Gondwanaland

H.G.M. 28.0 pg [28.0-33.0]
C.M.H.G. 32.2 g/dL [33.3 - 36.0]
Precisely these ones I don't know the meaning of the abbreviations
Neutrophyles and lymphocytes out of range... I don't know how to interpret that..
Cholesterol LDL 157mg/dL (115-159 is moderate risk)
Triglicerides 55mg/dL [40-160]
No risk with such low triglicerides. What is your HDL?
Homocysteine 4.94 umol/L [5.00-12.00]
That is low. Ideal number is 6.3. Sorry I don't know exactly the implications or how to increase it. Mine was high and eating paleo lowered it naturally. Perhaps you need more carbs.
I am wondering about lactobacillus reuteri, Bifidus strains, and/or resistant starch. Which one should I choose?
I personally tolerate reuterii, rhamnosus and bifidum fairly well. I take them 2x or 3x weekly, every other day, alternating strains.
Interesting links:
https://cfsremission.wordpress.com/2013/09/14/probiotics-lack-lactobacillus-acidophilus/
http://realfoodforager.com/microbiota-accessible-carbohydrates-macs-the-new-kid-on-the-block/
plus the threads here at PR
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/clostridium-butyricum-a-game-changer.37324/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-the-key-weve-been-looking-for.26976/page-164
The only time I lowered colesterol I was taking 25g of Flaxseed + 25g of Hempseed, daily, in the morning. I measured around 4 weeks after starting and it was lower. Was it the flaxseed ? Is flaxseed resistent starch?
Flax seed is food for gut, but both flax and hemp are testosterone antagonists. I suggest you read at least the 10 most recent pages of the Resistant Starch thread.

I also dont know what these mean:
H.G.M.
C.M.H.G.

I eat very little carbs ,is that a reason for low homocysteine?

I think my HDL was +-60. I have to check that

Hmmm.. I read all the talk about thr japanese product. Seems very good.
I didnt know flaxseed was a test inhibitor. I did know however that its flax lignans bind to estrogen receptor in the breast, but not would not stimulate the receptor i think because it should be good for gynecomastia (and thats why i tried it).

Well... Im still dwelling on all these results. I still think low dht can be due to sleep deprivation and not finasteride. But ok, i dont want to hear horse steps and think zebras are coming..

Low vitamin d and high ige are linked, and my dad had asthma

Anyway, i am still waiting for my supplements. This country post office either works horribly bad or this is like a fortress where nothing gets in..

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I eat very little carbs ,is that a reason for low homocysteine?
I don't know, could be... Are you trying to loose weight? People are eliminating carbs without taking gut health into consideration
Hmmm.. I read all the talk about thr japanese product. Seems very good.
Butyrate raises uric acid, I am having troubles with that...
This country post office either works horribly bad or this is like a fortress where nothing gets in..
I know exactly what you mean!

I am sorry if you already posted about it, I am not going to read back the several pages of this thread, what anti-oxidants are you currently taking?

What a mess! I remember looking at my values before and thinking "anemia"... But i took it to the doctor and he wasnt worried. This js very significative. I need to go asap to recheck it. I was not low in iron, but maybe the test was wrong.

At the time i bought iron bisglycinate to take, and i may have been slightly better aftsr a week or so but nothing significative. I dont knkw why the doctor would dismiss those values. I really need to get this checked, my problem is maybe there...or it can lead to the source of the problem, i.e. malabsorption

Or it could be from adrenal problems ?Adrenal.problems->malabsorption>anemia

Thank you so much for pointing it out, i had conpletely forgotten about that.

I have lately found some markers, like i was not absorbing things or was undernourished. I eat a lot... There's something else going on

I am only taking selenium at the moment.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I am here trying to make my neurones work and not be biased from my good response to copper, BUT I think you need copper.

You have normal blood cell count = B12, B9, B6 ok
You have low heme and enough iron = B2 and copper needed to make heme

@ppodhajski ?

well, i have cut down most of the sugar, at the time i did those tests.
i think my diet has always been slightly low carb because in fact, i dont eat a lot of them, but not on purpose, just because i dont like many of them like rice, or even pasta.

I never measured my serum uric acid.

well, it does make sense about the copper. also my tsh is over the limit for a few decimals and t4-t3 uses copper.

is this malabsorption of things? maybe i should visit a gasteroenterologist?

or could all this be due to thyroid and/or adrenals?

I think my transferrin at 230 is also significative. is not below limit, but it seems low(ish). I think that discards iron deficiency but on wiki it says : "A decreased plasma transferrin can occur in iron overload diseases and protein malnutrition". How is it posible, if i eat enough protein.

it seems really difficult to properly analyse this withouth trying things. i think i will buy copper as well.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

i think my diet has always been slightly low carb because in fact, i dont eat a lot of them, but not on purpose, just because i dont like many of them like rice, or even pasta.
Do you know the Perfect Health Diet? I eat rice and tubers, I also eat bread made from potato starch, rice and tapioca flour. I don't want to become carb intolerant and don't want to starve the gut flora. I never eat pasta or any other kind of bread. Have you read the link to real food forager I posted above?
is this malabsorption of things? maybe i should visit a gasteroenterologist?
I don't know. I never had a gastroenterologist who would worry about nutrient malabsorption. They all always prescribe omeprazole (which worsen things).
You might be deficient due to previous supplementation, dietary choices or parasites. I don't know.
I think my transferrin at 230 is also significative. is not below limit, but it seems low(ish). I think that discards iron deficiency but on wiki it says : "A decreased plasma transferrin can occur in iron overload diseases and protein malnutrition". How is it posible, if i eat enough protein.
Copper or Manganese might be underlying this. Read about iron, copper and maganese in the link "Balancing nutrients" in my signature. I only disagree with them on taking copper on its own. I must take it with zinc, otherwise my liver hurts.
t4-t3 uses copper.
You also need it for testosterone, like I posted before.
i think i will buy copper as well.
Take it with zinc.
Anecdote: I personally tolerate up to 600mcg of copper with 8-12mg Zn. When my dr upped my copper to 1mg I had adrenal crash. It took me weeks to recover. Then she prescribed Zn only and it made me anemic (RBC and Hemoglobin below range, the lowest I ever had).

Im waiting for manganese, for sod2 like @ppodhajski said. He did say to take it from foods so maybe i will pass by the supermarket and buy some foods rich in manganese.
Yes i will take it with zinc, but i will buy them separatly if i can. Do you take them together or do you take copper in the morning and zinc at the end of the day?

I have not checked the link, because in the mobile it seemed part of the link above so i just clicked the above link! My focus is all over the place with this issue

Gondwanaland

Idea: if you can find a compounding pharmacy you can order such mineral supplementation from them, a dr's prescription isn't needed for those, or you can ask them for a doctor recommendation whou would prescribe minerals so you don't have to import such common stuff.
Do you take them together or do you take copper in the morning and zinc at the end of the day?
I think it should be the other way around if taking them separately - Zn in the morning and Cu in the evening. I take them inside the same capsule in the morning, like one week on, one week off from now on.
Manganese is highly estrogenic and shouldn't be taken for very long.

I could never take the full dose of the capsules commercially available, they are too high for me and mess up all my other minerals.

Well, couldnt get copper. Apparently they took the supplements out of the market.
I think thiamin will help. Im waiting for thiamin pirophosphate to arrive.

There are few to none compounding pharmacies here, but my doctor can get this from a compounding pharmacy in Germany,i think.