• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Webinar for GPs in the UK with Dr Julia Newton

tinacarroll27

keenly

Hi I just saw this and wondered what anyone thought about it. It is for the Uk. I think it's a good idea but I don't trust Action for ME and will Dr Newton be pushing CBT and GET in the webinar? It would be a great opportunity to educate your GP, especially about POTs and ME but like I said I don't trust Action for ME, Here is the link

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news/would-you-send-an-email-to-help-educate-gps-about-m.e/
Apparently Newton has sold out. Action for ME are useless.

She is not looking for causes, or treatments and has been pushing the usual garbage.

markielock

@tinacarroll27 and @keenly, apologies for the brief segue: I hope you don't mind my asking but why is it you dislike and don't trust Action for ME? I'm not very well connected to the various organisations and I am genuinely curious to understand :). Thanks.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@markielock

AfME has supported CBT/GET and research by people like Esther Crawley (paediatric). They have on their website info that would suggest that there are problems with suggesting GET as a treatment but their actions often seem to conflict with what they say. They waffle on the fence, never willing to take a direct stand with patients for the benefit of patients. Or so it seems to some of the patient community. They are the only charity (as I understand it) that have a paid CEO.
There may be financial issues as to where some of their funding comes from that make them cautious about opposing the BPS model of this disease.

See: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...evalence-study-funded-by-action-for-me.44622/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...or-me-or-inaction-for-me-or-even-worse.50190/

I think they are really just behaving like any organisation -- they look after the interests of the organisation first -- the reason for existence (in this case advocacy for ME patients) second.

@tinacarroll27 and @keenly, apologies for the brief segue: I hope you don't mind my asking but why is it you dislike and don't trust Action for ME? I'm not very well connected to the various organisations and I am genuinely curious to understand :). Thanks.

They helped with the running of PACE and have been bending over backwards to avoid criticising it since then. It seems like it's run by idiots who cannot understand the problems with White/Crawley/etc. Could go on about them for hours.

It does make me feel less than enthusiastic about any sort of 'education' that they are providing.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Without knowing what content to expect how can people assess whether this would be a good idea?

Screenshot of email. Am I crazy or is one sentence in the email totally nonsensical. As in "Participants will learn how in those with ME/CFS they can: ...."

It inspires no confidence in me that Action for ME is doing this -- we do not want GP's attracted to this site in any manner.

IMG_0053.PNG

Seems to be about POTS rather than ME.

Deepwater

Screenshot of email. Am I crazy or is one sentence in the email totally nonsensical. As in "Participants will learn how in those with ME/CFS they can: ...."

It inspires no confidence in me that Action for ME is doing this -- we do not want GP's attracted to this site in any manner.

View attachment 20640

Seems to be about POTS rather than ME.

I'm no apologist for Action for ME or for Dr Julia Newton's recent research, but there is a real problem in England & Wales in getting diagnosed with PoTS if you have ME. I have all the symptoms of POTS and have tried to raise the subject with GPs on more than one occasion but always just get met with stony-faced silence. GPs are either ignorant of the fact that PoTS goes hand in hand with ME, and so think your concerns are proof of hypochondria, or they are running scared of the NICE guidelines which specifically state that testing for PoTS should not be routinely carried out on CFS patients. So this guidance could actually be very beneficial to us. The situation for patients in the UK is not the same as it is in the US - I can't stress this strongly enough.

Binkie4

http://www.meresearch.org.uk/news/webinars-by-prof-newton/

@Deepwater - just found the site above with some webinars from Julia Newton. Have not yet watched them and will not today because am crashed but perhaps they would help get a perspective on what Dr Newton might say.

GPs desperately need training on this. My GP looked at me as if mad when I mentioned Pots.

@Kina - I can't see too many problems with what is written. Agree a couple of commas would make it clearer as @Chrisb said.

NelliePledge

Dr Newton only recently became AFME medical advisor. She isn't responsible for what happened in the past. I think she should be given a chance rather than just written off for getting involved with that organisation. From the Netherlands material she seems ok.

I agree to giving J. Newton a chance, but the problem is where AfME is concerned 'what you see' is not always 'what you get'.
Eg it's no wonder the NHS and DWP support them:
"Our SEE M.E. project
Support, Empower and Employ people with M.E. (SEE M.E.) was an innovative pilot project that transformed employment outcomes for people with M.E. in the South West."
https://www.actionforme.org.uk/living-with-me/managing-work/see-me-project/

Sounds in principal a reasonable project. But then the video features Hazel O'Dowd.....
the Bristol Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME Service NHS North Bristol
https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/our-services...ndromeme-service/chronic-fatigue-syndromeme-2

"The Bristol Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME Service has ongoing involvement in research projects, including a recent study completed by Dr Jade Thai at the University of Bristol............

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cgi-bin/se...&uob_ou=Research&words=cfs&submitwords=search

" FITNET, MAGENTA,SMILE etc etc etc"

all roads lead to EC

Binkie4

I agree that there is good reason to be very cautious around AfME.

Julia Newton's approach in the utube clips however

http://www.meresearch.org.uk/news/webinars-by-prof-newton/

Was purely biomedical. I know nothing about Dr Kavi.

It would be good to know from someone who can get access to the webinar @charles shepherd or any other clinician exactly what approach Prof Newton takes, so that we are up to date with her perspective . The clips are also dated 2014 so the new info will hopefully move on our knowledge.

If the old PACE rubbish is recycled, then we will really know what we are dealing with.

PS Dr Kavi is a GP in Birmingham with family members with Pots, and is a trustee of Pots U.K.( quick Google)

Do you live in the North East, or if not how did you manage to get a referral? Things are desperate for PwME in my neck of the woods.

Yeah I am. I just emailed her and explained the results of my poor man's tilt test at home and asked if I could see her and she said yes, so my doc did the referral.

Before I could see her I had to have the tilt table test done first (in her department) then straight after undergo a few hours of abuse by an ignoramous who works there (explained in one of my blogs on here)

Where after being made seriously ill after hours of questioning while in a shaking, collapsed state and crying with exhaustion we walked/wheeled out before they could damage me further.

There was no point in putting up with his insulting comments and attitude as he refused to give me the diagnosis of POTS even though my results proved otherwise.

It wasn't until I saw Prof. Newton at the next appointment that she gave me the diagnosis after hearing that he wouldn't do it despite my results.

Deepwater

Yeah I am. I just emailed her and explained the results of my poor man's tilt test at home and asked if I could see her and she said yes, so my doc did the referral.

Before I could see her I had to have the tilt table test done first (in her department) then straight after undergo a few hours of abuse by an ignoramous who works there (explained in one of my blogs on here)

Where after being made seriously ill after hours of questioning while in a shaking, collapsed state and crying with exhaustion we walked/wheeled out before they could damage me further.

There was no point in putting up with his insulting comments and attitude as he refused to give me the diagnosis of POTS even though my results proved otherwise.

It wasn't until I saw Prof. Newton at the next appointment that she gave me the diagnosis after hearing that he wouldn't do it despite my results.

Thanks very much for this information. I'm not sure if my heart rate with cooperate diagnosis-wise, but I sure have problems remaining upright, particularly standing still, and my brain disappears and I get waves of nausea and hot flushes if I don't lie flat every couple of hours. Is it possible to have problems getting blood to the brain without getting the tachycardia?