• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My SNP Results. Would appreciate your comments.

Sea

@AndyPandy haved you had a blood test where MCV (mean cell volume) is measured? It is usually part of the standard blood tests doctors will run. Often, though not always, MCV will be high when B12 is deficient. Doctors don't often bother about it unless it's way out of range. Looking back over my tests by numerous doctors mine has been out of range for many years and not one has mentioned it. Within 6 months of supplementing my MCV is back in the normal range.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
@AndyPandy haved you had a blood test where MCV (mean cell volume) is measured? It is usually part of the standard blood tests doctors will run. Often, though not always, MCV will be high when B12 is deficient. Doctors don't often bother about it unless it's way out of range. Looking back over my tests by numerous doctors mine has been out of range for many years and not one has mentioned it. Within 6 months of supplementing my MCV is back in the normal range.
@Sea you are a legend.

My MCV has been consistently up and above the range at around 96 and 97. This has been the case for many years. I have a test dating back to 2001 which shows this together with all recent tests.

I researched it previously and couldn't understand why it would be elevated as I am not an alcoholic, my iron levels are OK and my B12 levels also seemed OK (or so I thought). Also no indications of blood based cancer.

Since becoming ill I specifically asked doctors about it but no one seemed to know why or care much.

Great that supplementing has improved this for you. Has supplementing B12 and folate improved any of your other symptoms? Did you need to take potassium or anything else to balance out the effects of these two?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@AndyPandy

Here is Rich on the subject:

...The reason why red blood cells are larger and contain more hemoglobin than normal in ME/CFS is that the cells in the bone marrow that produce new blood cells do not have enough folate. Certain forms of folate are needed to make DNA and RNA, which are needed to make new cells. Since the bone marrow is not able to make red cells in normal numbers, it stuffs more hemoglobin into each one it does make, and that raises both MCV (their size) and MCH (their hemoglobin content).

The reason why these cells do not have enough folates is that there is a partial block in methionine synthase, which links the methylation cycle to the folate metabolism. Because of this block, folates continue to be converted to methylfolate (this is called the "methyl trap" mechanism), but it cannot be used by the methionine synthase reaction. Instead, peroxynitrite, which rises because of the depletion of glutathione, breaks down the methylfolate, and that depletes the folates in general.

A vicious circle forms between the depletion of glutathione and the partial block in methionine synthase. This vicious circle is what makes ME/CFS a chronic disorder.

The good news is that this vicious circle can be broken by a methylation protocol...

Sea

Great that supplementing has improved this for you. Has supplementing B12 and folate improved any of your other symptoms? Did you need to take potassium or anything else to balance out the effects of these two?

It has given me some energy and functional ability back but certainly not a cure. I have used potassium (potassium gluconate powder from iherb) but my need for it hasn't been huge

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
It has given me some energy and functional ability back but certainly not a cure. I have used potassium (potassium gluconate powder from iherb) but my need for it hasn't been huge
@Sea. That's good news. I am happy to take any improvement in energy and functional ability! Thanks for the info about potassium.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Just wanted to say what a revelation it has been going through my 23andme results and associated reports. All of my health conditions and reactions to drugs and chemicals are there and now explained. Potential health problems are also revealed.

I am remembering all those times when I have tried to explain to doctors and others that I react badly to certain medications and chemicals and I have got "the look" or questions about my mental health in return. Now I have something concrete to support my claims if I need to.

My results have also given me the opportunity to focus my efforts on issues I have that I might be able to correct, rather than shooting in the dark and guesswork.

Without PR I would never have known about 23andme. I'm very grateful.