• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Undetectable Infection

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I have managed to convince the Menzies Research Institute here in Tasmania that this is a potential disaster waiting to happen ... They have agreed to sponsor me for post-graduate research into these bugs .... It will give me a microbiology qualification (Research) The research will be to take a small group of CFS/Fibromyalgia sufferers and check for protease expression in normal flora streptococcus/enterococcus bacteria. I am hoping we can also test for bacteria in the lymphatic system ... This will be published and hopefully give you something to take to your doctors inside of 18 months ...

Still negotiating how this will all work .... so we will see what happens ...

Keep you all posted ....

How do you know it will be published?

Elph68

I caught up with my sister yesterday,

She has chronic sore throat, swollen lymph glands in her neck, severe fatigue/brain fog and severe IBS .... started just before christmas .... seems her (now ex) boyfriend has been sleeping with a nurse .....

Tests show 'normal flora' !!!

This is BS!!!!!

Elph68

Treatment:

Azithromycin + Augmentin duo forte or Azithromycin + doxycyclene treatment protocols can work, depends on how many abx. you have had in the past ....

These are the treatment options if you know your CFS is due to strep: (I loathe posting this .... make sure this is done only under doctor supervision) These are powerful abx. and can have serious side effects.....

The length of time .... anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks .....

Ramoplanin + Daptomycin (inj) + Streptomycin (inj) ... (6+ weeks??)

Ramoplanin + Linezolid (4+ weeks??)

Oral vancomycin + Augmentin Forte + iv vancomycin (not sure if oral and IV vancomycin can be taken together .... 4+ weeks)

Oral vancomycin + Augmentin Duo Forte + Linezolid (4+ weeks) I really like this one as it is all oral

For the guys, these bugs will be in your prostate .... and like all communicable diseases .... your sex partner will be a carrier in their urogenital tract .... These bugs thrive in prostatic fluid which is a solution of simple sugars ....

If you don't kill these in your sex partner, they will always get back into your gut (if you are female) and there is still a risk for males ...

I hope this helps ....

Elph68

Let's see if I can dig up some Aussie treatment ......

Dear Dr Wettstein,

It seems that because of what I have been going through, I have uncovered something that is very significant and has the potential to really change peoples lives.

When I came to you I suggested that I had picked up a pathogenic strain of enterococcus faecalis, I also suspected that I had some pathogenic strains of viridans streptococcus. I have found through desk top research that these bacteria can express a protease which induces inflammation in the host and results in antibody production and superantigens. I have further found that these bacteria (apart from causing disbyosis through superoxide production) cause colonic polyps and cancer. They are able to destroy DNA at the cellular level because of hydrogen peroxide production. My wife is currently having trouble with colonic polyps and vaginitis. It is the protease production that causes vaginitis/prostatitis but because it is from normal flora the condition is undetectable .... you have spoken to my wife and suggested probiotics and fiber .... This is not working either ...

What I have also found is that these bacteria can cause a leaky gut and/or ulceration in the bowel due to what I have just presented. Once this happens they are able to get past the immune system and take up residence in the lymphatic system and cause chronic fatigue and auto-immune disease and a suite of other chronic conditions.

The treatment you gave me worked while taking it, but now the symptoms are returning .... my prostate never fully recovered, the lymph nodes swelling never went, sore throat and eyes remain, I have gas and reflux and an unbelievable fatigue that comes and goes .... and my ASOT results are higher.

I am now looking for a post graduate sponsor (microbiologist) and treatment to resolve this fully. I have had it confirmed by Dr Ian Lipkin from Columbia University in the US that this hypothesis is plausible. I believe society is on the verge of a pandemic and it has to be stopped or it will cripple the already overstressed health system. I am a regional scientist and this is of serious concern to me ....

This has taken the entire medical system by surprise and it seems to me that nearly everyone is still asleep.

Given that you work with the NSW University is there any chance we could work together on a post grad honours research project (Menzies Research at utas here in TAS is very interested), but I would need a microbiologist ... I need to check these bugs for protease expression and find them in the lymphatic system .... I believe this is the cause of more than half of CFS sufferers (Chronic viridans strep/enterococcus infection) and the reason why FMT does not work for CFS sufferers on its own .... add in IV Vancomycin or Linezolid for 4+ weeks and maybe streptomycin/gentomycin as any of the gut bugs can get into the lymphatic system once the gut has been breached. To finish the treatment off hit it with probiotics and a caveman diet (which is what I have been following) ... I reckon you are the only place that can totally cure CFS right now .....

Are you prepared to look at any of these treatment protocols (or similar) for me?

Ramoplanin + Daptomycin (inj) (+ Streptomycin (inj) ... )

Ramoplanin + Linezolid

I do not believe this one would work on me now .....

Oral vancomycin + Augmentin Duo Forte + Linezolid

I still need my 8yo daughter and wife treated also.

I will take another bioscreen test to see what is still giving me grief in the gut, but we haven't achieved what we set out to do and I need further treatment ... Sorry to be a pain ..

I have started an awareness campaign but I really need the right letters after my name to make a difference

Elph68

For those of you who aren't convinced that strep sanguis is a bad boy. This report shows that they cause auto-immune disease ......

Both the sera of patients with Behçet’s disease and Streptococcus sanguis stimulate membrane expression of hnRNP A2/B1 in endothelial cells
2013, Vol. 42, No. 3 , Pages 241-246 (doi:10.3109/03009742.2012.733728) SB Cho1, Z Zheng1, S Cho1, KJ Ahn2, MJ Choi1, D-Y Kim1, KH Lee1, D Bang1 1Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Biology Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine Seul, and Jeju, Korea 2Department of Science Education, Jeju National University, Jeju, Korea Dongsik Bang, Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Biology Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 50 Yonsei-ro, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul 120-752, Korea.
E-mail: dbang@yuhs.ac

Objectives: Heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein (hnRNP) A2/B1 has been identified as a target antigen of anti-endothelial cell immunglobulin (Ig)A antibodies in patients with Behçet’s disease (BD). The aim was to investigate the effects of the sera from BD patients and Streptococcus sanguis on the subcellular expression of hnRNP A2/B1 in human dermal microvascular endothelial cells (HDMECs). Method: The sera of BD patients and healthy controls (HC) as well as cultured S. sanguis were used to stimulate HDMECs. Subcellular fractions were obtained from stimulated HDMECs and were subjected to immunoblot analyses. The distribution of hnRNP A2/B1 was investigated by immunocytochemistry and direct immunofluorescence study was performed in biopsy specimens of mucosal ulcers from BD patients.

Results: BD patients’ sera increased the membrane expression of hnRNP A2/B1 in HDMECs after 12 and 24 h of incubation compared with HDMECs incubated with endothelial cell culture media and HC sera. S. sanguis also increased hnRNP A2/B1 in the cellular membrane. hnRNP A2/B1 mRNA level was also significantly upregulated in HDMECs incubated with BD patients’ sera and S. sanguis. Immunocytochemistry demonstrated marked expression of hnRNP A2/B1 in the cytoplasm and cellular membrane of HDMECs incubated with BD patients’ sera or S. sanguis. In addition, direct immunofluorescence experiments revealed the co-localization of serum IgA antibodies and monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) against hnRNP A2/B1 in tissue sections from ulcers of BD patients.

Conclusions: Our data indicate that both the sera of BD patients with active disease and S. sanguis infection are inflammatory stimuli that can induce membranous hnRNP A2/B1 expression in HDMECs.

Elph68

Who else has low white blood cell counts .... for the first time mine have hit the floor :(

you may be interested in this article ...

Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2001 Sep;36(5):354-6.
[Effects of Streptococcus sanguis on blood composition, blood pressure and cardiac dysfunction in rabbis].
[Article in Chinese]
Chen H1, Zhao M, Li J.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To investigate effect of streptococcus sanguis on blood cell and cardiopulmonary changes.

METHODS:
133-79 strains of streptococcus sanguis (aggregation positive) were infused intravenously into rabbits. Before and 5, 10, 20, 30, 45, 60 min after infuse platelets count, leukocytes count, blood pressure and ECG were measured.

RESULTS:
After infused intravenously, both platelets and leukocytes count decreased remarkably (P < 0.01, n = 12). The ECG showed ST segment depression (> 0.06 mV). Diphasic blood pressure occurred (first hypertensive then hypotensive).

CONCLUSIONS:
Streptococcus sanguis 133-79 strains in circulation system might cause myocardia ischemia, blood pressure changes, peripheral circulation platelets and leukocytes decrease remarkably.

Anyway .... seems this strep species has the ability to decrease white blood cell count .... streptococcus sanguinis/parasanguinis again. (Strep Sanguis was reclassified into sanguinis/parasanguinis just recently)

Allyson

I haven't had this condition very long, and I am struggling to understand what the confusion is. There are so many people with so many different opinions and I can see why this is not getting anywhere. So I am just going to put it out there. I know this is caused by an undetectable infection, so I will tell you why.

This started in my wife's and my mouth/throut, and then moved to our genital tract. For 3 years we have been battling prostatitis, vaginitis and sore throats. During this time my 8 year old daughter started first a chronic cough, then vaginitis and now IBS, and she is starting to lose her spark.

After a dose of clindamycin, my wife cleared up, but my tongue went black and furry and my throat got a whole lot worse and became chronic. A few months later I was having some difficulties with some hemorrhoids, so in order to get them back in I covered my finger in saliva and pushed them in. My anus started burning, and a few days later I had severe bloating, gas, pain, reflux ..... IBS. Not long after that my glands swelled up, pins and needles, burning in hands and feet, I can't think, my body feels like lead, I can't sleep, then i crash and can't wake up and all the other symptoms that we all seem to have.

For the 3 years my wife and I struggled with the other symptoms, I have argued with my GP and others that I had picked up pathogenic strains of normal flora from my dentist. You see I found out that every single nurse in the practice had IBS.

The implications of pathogenic strains of normal flora seems to be way too horrible for any of them to contemplate. Normal flora is non-pyogenic, they do not form puss when infecting, but they produce enzymes and toxins which are known to cause inflammation and if allowed to enter the blood stream (bacterimia) they are known to cause meningitis and endocarditis.

Until everybody realizes this can be an infection (inflammation) due to pathogenic normal flora (streptococcus/enterococcus) and start working together to get the medical people to look there first, we are all just going to have a slow and painful early death!!!

And if along the way we find some viruses are a complication which makes it worse, at least we are headed somewhere.

Start focusing on the pathogenic strains of the normal bacteria .... I am starting a one man crusade to bring this to light ..... e-mail, fax all the doctors, all the universities, the health ministers, and research centres .... get them to look at the pathogenesis of normal flora.

Streptococcus Sanguinis and parasanguinis should only ever be found in the tartar on your teeth, not in your throat, not on your tongue and certainly not in your vagina, urethra, prostate or your bowel..... Irrespective of what your health professionals say .....

Pathogenic normal flora = the undetectable infection = auto-immune disease!!!

not read all but IBS is treated pretty well in most with a low FODMAPS diet

the PH D student who did the research inuding detailed bacterial anaylsis of participants' gut flora is Emma Halmos at Monash Uni Melbourne Australia

stool samples while on and of the diet and in a high FODMAPS diet were frozen and sent to Britain for detailed analysis, for example

She has just had a part of her research published in a medical journal called Gastorenterology - this month I believe so about jan/ feb 2014

that may be of use - she did explain some of the detailed bacteriology to me but I did not absorb it all so the article may be of use to you.

good luck

ALly

Elph68

not read all but IBS is treated pretty well in most with a low FODMAPS diet

the PH D student who did the research inuding detailed bacterial anaylsis of participants' gut flora is Emma Halmos at Monash Uni Melbourne Australia

stool samples while on and of the diet and in a high FODMAPS diet were frozen and sent to Britain for detailed analysis, for example

She has just had a part of her research published in a medical journal called Gastorenterology - this month I believe so about jan/ feb 2014

that may be of use - she did explain some of the detailed bacteriology to me but I did not absorb it all so the article may be of use to you.

good luck

ALly

Hi Ally,

Fodmaps are fermentable carbohydrates ... if you look at other threads I have posted I agree they need to be excluded ... BUT, it is the bugs that feed on these carbohydrates that are classed as normal flora which do the damage to the immune system (also presented in this and other threads) ...

The irony is .... the bugs convert to metabolism instead of fermentation .... they still attack our system ... You can't win ....

Allyson

Hi Ally,

Fodmaps are fermentable carbohydrates ... if you look at other threads I have posted I agree they need to be excluded ... BUT, it is the bugs that feed on these carbohydrates that are classed as normal flora which do the damage to the immune system (also presented in this and other threads) ...

The irony is .... the bugs convert to metabolism instead of fermentation .... they still attack our system ... You can't win ....

Hi Elph

fructose to glucose ratio of any food is the issue in FODMAPs.....but I think the issue is some people do not tolerate them as they do not have the right bactieria to digest high fructose? not sure

But the point is the stdy DID look at all the bacteria in the gat at the time so I thought it may feed in to your research

will try and find the details for you

cheers

ALly

Elph68

Right now .... I am gobsmacked!!

GI bacteria lymphatic translocation is a well known and researched scientific condition .....

It is caused by increased intestinal permeability .....

http://www.old-herborn-university.de/literature/books/OHUni_book_14_article_4.pdf
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4612-1222-5_9#page-1
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...4QQj_gTUtwcmkPOfcy27Lpg&bvm=bv.61965928,d.dGI

If these are nasty bacteria (pyogenic or puss forming), other than normal flora, you will have abscess in the lymphatic system, that is easy and treatable .... but it is the non pyogenic (non puss forming) bacteria in the lymphatic system which is the undetectable infection (viridans strep/enterococcus) which is at least half of the people on this forum, that research tells me is the cause of CFS ...

So lets look at the real tests that you can do prove this .... not the bandaid tests that the doctors keep charging for ... The ones that just show us we are sick .... I already know that ....

1. Comprehensive stool analysis
2. D-lactate plasma levels
3. peripheral blood cultures (PCR would be better)
4. Lymph node culture http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004198/
5. If there is protein in your urine, Glomerular biopsy for IgA antibodies .....

These tests will provide evidence that your CFS is caused by a bacterial infection ......

I suggest you take a blood culture when you are at your sickest .....

MeSci

Right now .... I am gobsmacked!!

GI bacteria lymphatic translocation is a well known and researched scientific condition .....

It is caused by increased intestinal permeability .....

http://www.old-herborn-university.de/literature/books/OHUni_book_14_article_4.pdf
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4612-1222-5_9#page-1
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&ved=0CCcQFjABOAo&url=http://www.researchgate.net/publication/7850679_Intestinal_permeability_and_systemic_infections_in_critically_ill_patients_effect_of_glutamine/file/72e7e517af85100af2.pdf&ei=g7sPU5_zBsqykAX1sICQAQ&usg=AFQjCNFDk924QQj_gTUtwcmkPOfcy27Lpg&bvm=bv.61965928,d.dGI

If these are nasty bacteria (pyogenic or puss forming), other than normal flora, you will have abscess in the lymphatic system, that is easy and treatable .... but it is the non pyogenic (non puss forming) bacteria in the lymphatic system which is the undetectable infection (viridans strep/enterococcus) which is at least half of the people on this forum, that research tells me is the cause of CFS ...

So lets look at the real tests that you can do prove this .... not the bandaid tests that the doctors keep charging for ... The ones that just show us we are sick .... I already know that ....

1. Comprehensive stool analysis
2. D-lactate plasma levels
3. peripheral blood cultures (PCR would be better)
4. Lymph node culture http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004198/
5. If there is protein in your urine, Glomerular biopsy for IgA antibodies .....

These tests will provide evidence that your CFS is caused by a bacterial infection ......

I suggest you take a blood culture when you are at your sickest .....

The last link in your first list is interesting to me as it mentions benefit from glutamine, which I have been taking since 2012 as part of my leaky-gut regime. Here is a shorter link for your article.

I think I posted this link earlier in the thread, which discusses how leaky gut could lead to autoimmunity, and it does mention the lymphatic system. I can't recall your reason(s) for concluding that the problem lies in pathogens hiding in the lymphatic system rather than the mechanisms proposed in various scientific papers - can you remind me/us?

Elph68

Hi MeSci, even though you may not see it yet, you and I are actually on the same page ..... what I am saying is that the missing link is the lymphatic system. That is where the ongoing auto-immunity is generated and why that most people who fix their leaky gut still have ongoing auto-immune issues and usually never return to full pre-illness activity.

The other mechanisms are all part of the whole picture .... Colonization of the lymphatic system is the missing link.

Cheers.

MeSci

Hi MeSci, even though you may not see it yet, you and I are actually on the same page ..... what I am saying is that the missing link is the lymphatic system. That is where the ongoing auto-immunity is generated and why that most people who fix their leaky gut still have ongoing auto-immune issues and usually never return to full pre-illness activity.

The other mechanisms are all part of the whole picture .... Colonization of the lymphatic system is the missing link.

Cheers.

I think that the main differences between us are the levels of certainty and the relative importance we attribute to different theories and different parts and aspects of the chain(s) of causation. I have an open mind.

BTW, I see that you have not participated in this thread on a paper from 2013 which appears to be on the line of research/theory that you favour and involves a researcher whose work I follow with great interest.

Elph68

I think that the main differences between us are the levels of certainty and the relative importance we attribute to different theories and different parts and aspects of the chain(s) of causation. I have an open mind.

BTW, I see that you have not participated in this thread on a paper from 2013 which appears to be on the line of research/theory that you favour and involves a researcher whose work I follow with great interest.
I reckon the main difference is I have only studied and followed what is relevant to my situation, and I have lab results to support what I say. My level of interest therefore is not distracted by other areas. Even KDM says that a group of CFS sufferers are from streptococcus/enterococcus .... I have just followed through and found the why!

Any bacteria or virus that causes the body to produce antigens is a potential cause for this condition. S. sanguis infection are inflammatory stimuli that can induce membranous hnRNP A2/B1 expression in HDMECs which is the target of IgA antibodies .... or auto-immunity ....

So anything up to half of the people on this forum, I believe have a streptococcus/enterococcus infection as the cause of their CFS.

Here is the thing .... as soon as you can link CFS to an infection, the game changes politically and medically. So in order to change the attitudes, only one theory needs to be proven .... This is not a one size fits all disease, but by being smarter about tackling the problem, a cure will be quicker coming ....

I also believe that strep is probably not the only cause.

knackers323

Elph

Why would taking probiotics make us feel better in regards to your theory?

Are the probiotics fighting the strep/entero?