• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinc of possible help for M.S.?

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I read this some years ago but didn't know anyone with m.s. to suggest this to: check wiki uric_acid. In that topic you find that people with m.s. are low in uric acid and that zinc raises uric acid. So... , well it seems worth a try to raise uric acid and see if it helps.

Keeping in mind things like phytates can cause as little as 15% of dietary zinc from being absorbed (phytase can fix that) and iron also causes zinc absorption problems and... worse... you need zinc to make HCL to absorb zinc (so you may need to supplement your digestion to raise zinc (HCL or some organic acid like acetate from vinegar) and, um, citrate improves zinc absorption.

So any study that doesn't take these things in account may be misleading.

This is just a thought. Read up, see what you think

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I've also read that inosine raises uric acid levels and some with ME like Sue Jackson get help from it.
https://livewithcfs.blogspot.com/2014/05/inosine-vs-imunovir-for-mecfs.html

Though I and some others here haven't done well on the inosine. Initially I thought it was helping but then after a few days, it seemed to make my heart hurt and my "heart tiredness" worse so I stopped it.

Thanks for the info on zinc. You gave lots of good information that I didn't know before.

I upped my zinc recently when I wasn't feeling well but I think it lowered my copper and made me somewhat anemic. I went pale for a few days until I remembered to add a tiny amount of copper back in.

Edit: Also cherries reduce uric acid. I believe some gout sufferers use it for that.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Um...well my doctor told me cherries don't really lower uric acid, they are just anti inflammatory. I have no way to know if they really help or only feel like they help, but I got scared because of something I read where they could cause acute kidney failure... only 8n certain conditions...I don't remember- maybe dehydration? But I drink a lot of coffee and do get dehydrated, so...

Um, my doc is very smart but everyone makes mistakes. As you can tell, I am not sure gets right, but he could be

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Yes, copper is important and is locked out by zinc if you take them together. Idk how to balance them, but others I know, including Freddd here, used to take 50mg and now take 30 in order to not become copper deficient.

I do know phytate in your diet can seriously prevent most of your zinc absorption. I am thinking it might be critical to take phytase enzyme with your zinc supplement or protein meal. Citrate helps absorb zinc too.

Copper is very sensitive...lots of things inhibit it's absorption. If I remember: zinc, calcium, vitamin C, etc, etc (lots). The Chinese have this fruit: lychee... it is very special because it contains copper but no zinc.