• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yuppie Flu

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
So tonight I was out and about at a function and having a conversation with someone who I had previously thought of as intelligent and well informed.

He referred to ME as Yuppie Flu.

I was shocked. And angry. And disgusted.

I immediately called him on it and asked him never to call it that again. I explained the seriousness of the condition and the devastating effects it had had on me and my life and the shocking reality for the long term bedridden.

I left the event in my wheelchair some time later.

His ill informed flippancy from a position of good health has shocked me tonight. But he at least looked embarrassed when I challenged him and maybe he’ll think twice before he uses that language again.

I’m sick of our suffering being trivialised.
And I’m angry.

Gingergrrl

I immediately called him on it and asked him never to call it that again. I explained the seriousness of the condition and the devastating effects it had had on me and my life and the shocking reality for the long term bedridden.
His ill informed flippancy from a position of good health has shocked me tonight. But he at least looked embarrassed when I challenged him and maybe he’ll think twice before he uses that language again.

Good for you, Andy, and I am very impressed! You are fearless, articulate, and handled that with dignity and grace. He will definitely think twice before using such ignorant and hurtful language again. You ROCK :star::star::star:

andyguitar

I remember Yuppie Flu when it was in the news years ago. Knew 2 people who had it. The diagnosis was given to them by their Doctor. Their symptoms were not at all like me/cfs. Suprising that it is still used these days.