• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

You probably have an autoimmune disease...

sometexan84

31 of 364 ME/CFS patients tested positive for at least 1 of 4 autoantibodies in this study for small-fiber polyneuropathy.

Those 31 patients have pretty much identified the cause of their fatigue.

So you think, "well that's less than 10%, so I'm not likely part of that group". Wrong.

You might not have those specific auto-antibodies, but the majority of those w/ ME/CFS have auto-antibodies to something important. Something that probably causes the symptoms you have.

-------EDIT--------
I wanted to come back and edit this. I want to make this very clear. I am 100% confident in the idea, but I don't want it to be misconstrued.

I am not saying that auto-antibodies and autoimmunity are the sole cause of symptoms. What I am saying, is that the majority of those w/ "ME/CFS" have autoimmune genetic predispositions, and that auto-antibodies and autoimmunity plays a significant role in the development, perpetuation, and exacerbation of the persons unique set of conditions.

While auto-antibody treatment can potentially relieve symptoms, it's important to remember a single treatment isn't likely to cure symptoms elicited by a complex multi-faceted set of conditions.
-------EDIT--------

The small-fiber polyneuropathy study looked at (4) autoantibodies, two cholinergic and two adrenergic receptors. But in this specific category of receptors they are looking at, there are twice as many that could cause symptoms of CFS.

Maybe 10% of us have autoantibodies to the 4 they were looking at. Maybe 10% more of us have autoantibodies to the others.

But that's nothing. There are dozens of other auto-antibodies that can mistakenly attack your own body that could cause fatigue, pain, PEM, autonomic dysfunction, etc.

There are conflicting studies on viral (and non-viral) infections in ME/CFS. But when they do auto-antibody studies in ME/CFS, they often come up w/ definitive evidence.

Antinuclear antibodies (ANA), ganglionic receptor (alpha 3) antibodies, TPO antibodies for Hashimoto's, TRab antibodies for Graves disease, all the antiphospholipid antibodies, serotonin antibodies (5-HT), Heat shock protein antibodies, NMDA receptor antibodies, Anti-IgLON5 antibodies.

Guys, I'm telling you right now. Any one of these can cause the fatigue, pain, GI dysmotility, or dysautonomia symptoms you're feeling. And there are way more than the ones I just mentioned that can cause your symptoms. That, AND, they are still finding new auto-antibodies. There are still antibodies attacking important parts of the human body that haven't been discovered.

If you put all this together, all the auto-antibody studies and what-not, you'll see that autoimmunity in ME/CFS is close to 90%.

Last edited:
Is there some sort of definitive list to all the auto-antibodies one should be tested for?

I am a little confused on the PEM mechanism, I don't think a lot of autoimmunity gets PEM- I've never heard of someone getting flu-like symptoms while reading a book, with a condition say like RA- which exercise helps.

Or pots, which exercise helps, etc.

I don't know

sometexan84

If you're interested, here's some of my research....
(but obviously, it is related more to me and my infections and conditions)

EBV
Intermediate filament IF - Keratin, and Vimentin (57kDA) (part of nuclear envelope)
p542 antibodies
p554 antibodies
dsDNA (anti-double stranded DNA) (antinuclear antibody)
Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (CCP) (seen in rheumatoid arthritis)
Thyrotropin receptor antibodies (TRAbs) (seen in Graves disease and hyperthyroidism)
NMDA receptor (N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor) (can cause autonomic dysfunction)
Myelin basic protein (MBP)
Smooth Muscle
Cardiolipin
Annexin V
Anti-protein S
Prothrombin
Histone (antinuclear antibody)
Anti-Sm (Smith) – (an antinuclear antibody)
Anti-Ro/SSA – (antinuclear antibody)
Anti-La/SSB
β2 glycoprotein
Platelet membrane glycoprotein IIb
Alpha-synuclein

Strep
Myocardial autoantibodies
Protein Disulfide Isomerase (PDI) autoantibodies
Myosin
β2-glycoprotein I antibody (β2GPI) – (involved in antiphospholipid syndrome)

CFS
Human dUTPase
ANA
Intermediate filament IF - Lamin B1, and cytoplasmic proteins (part of nuclear envelope)
68/48 kDa protein (68 kda = HSP70)
dsDNA (anti-double stranded DNA)
Phospholipids
Cardiolipin aCL (an anti-mitochondrial antibody, and Phospholipid)
Phosphatidylinositol (PI) – (type of Phospholipid)
Gangliosides (AGA)
5-HT
Neoepitopes
Palmitic acid (fatty acid)
Myristic acid (fatty acid)
Oleic acid (fatty acid)
NO-phenylalanine
NO-Bovine serum albumin (nitro-BSA)
M1/3/4 (AChR)
Beta-2 Adr
TPO
Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA)
Mu-opioid receptor
Microtubule-associated protein 2 (MAP2)
ssDNA
HSP60 (Chlamydia pneumoniae peptide)
Malondialdehyde MDA (by-product of lipid peroxidation)
Azelaic acid (by-product of lipid peroxidation)
S-farnesyl-L-cysteine
N-oxide modified amino-acids (nitro-tyrosine, nitro-phenylalanine, nitro-arginine, nitro-tryptophan, and nitro-cysteinyl)
Oxidized LDL (oxLDL) antibodies
Antiendothelial cell antibodies
Antineuronal cell antibodies
Lipopolysaccharides
Anti-Sa (Vimentin) (62 kDa)

Parvovirus
Collagen II
Intermediate filament IF – Keratin (part of nuclear envelope)
Angiotensin II type 1 (AT1) receptor
Myelin basic protein
Platelet membrane glycoprotein llb/lla
dsDNA antibody (anti-double stranded DNA)
ssDNA
Anti-lymphocyte antibody
Rheumatoid factor
ANA
Anti-mitochondrial antibody (AMA)
Anti-smooth muscle antibody (ASMA) (actin, troponin, and tropomyosin)
Anti-parietal cell antibody (Gastric Parietal Cell Antibodies, GPA)
Anti-reticulin antibody (ARA)
Phosphatidylserine (PS) – (a type of Phospholipid)
Anti-GAD glutamic acid decarboxylase (islet cells)
Thyrotropin receptor antibodies (TRAbs)
Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (CCP)

Enterovirus
Coxsackie 3: Myosin
Coxsackie 3: Adenine nucleotide translocator (ANT) antibodies
Coxsackie 3: Anti-flavoprotein antibodies
Coxsackie 3: Actin (Anti-smooth muscle antibody)
Coxsackie 3: Tropomyosin (Anti-smooth muscle antibody)
Coxsackie 3: Heat shock proteins
Coxsackie 3: Desmin
Beta-cell autoantibodies (aka islet cell)

Mycoplasma Pneumoniae
GALC

Sleep Apnea
Oxidized LDL (low-density lipoprotein, OxLDL) antibodies
Anti-IgLON5
Anti-Coatomer Protein Complex Subunit Epsilon (COPE) Autoantibodies
Neuroblastoma suppressor of tumorigenicity 1 (NBL1-Abs)
Phospholipids

Chlamydia Pneumoniae
Rheumatoid Factor

Hashimoto’s
Rheumatoid factor (RF)
HSP60 elevated in blood
Cardiolipin
β2-glycoprotein I

Guttate Psoriasis
dsDNA
HSP60Sp (Streptococcus pyogenes)
HSP60 elevated in blood

Psoriasis
High-density lipoproteins (HDL)
apolipoprotein A-I
Apolipoprotein E

HSV-2
ANA (6 of 38?)
unclassified neural antibodies (4 of 38)

Autonomic Dysfunction
Ganglionic (alpha 3) acetylcholine receptors (gAChRs)
Autonomic nerve autoantibodies (ANabs)
Autoimmune Dysautonomia (Mayo Clinic Panel)
Acetylcholine Receptor (Muscle AChR) Binding
Antineuronal Nuclear Antibody, Type 1 (ANNA-1 or Anti-Hu)
Antineuronal Nuclear Antibody, Type 2 (ANNA-2 or Anti-Ri)
Dipeptidyl peptidase-like protein 6 (DPPX Receptor)
Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase (GAD65)
VGKC (voltage gated potassium channel)
VGCC-N-Type (N-Type Voltage-gated calcium-channel)
VGCC-P/Q-Type (P/Q-Type Voltage-gated calcium-channel)
Striational Antibodies (Striated Muscle) CPT 86255
Amphiphysin CPT 84182
CASPR2 (Contactin-Associated Protein-2)
Collapsin Response-Mediator Protein-5 (CRMP-5)
GABABR (gamma-aminobutyric acid B receptor)
LGI1 (Leucine-Rich, Glioma-Inactivated Protein 1)
NMDA (N-methyl-D-Aspartate Receptor)
Purkinje cell cytoplasmic antibody, type Tr (PCA-Tr)
Purkinje cell cytoplasmic antibody, type 1 (PCA-1)
Purkinje cell cytoplasmic antibody, type 2 (PCA-2)

Orthostatic Hypotension
Monoclonal autoantibody (C5F2)
Ganglionic (alpha 3) nicotinic acetylcholine receptor
G-ACh receptors
β 2 adrenergic receptors
M2 muscarinic receptors

Bright’s Disease (lupus nephritis, Glomerulonephritis, acute nephritis)

Abdominal Muscle Spasm
Serositis (Sm Smith, dsDNA)
Acquired neuromyotonia (voltage-gated potassium channels, Caspr2, voltage-gated potassium channel)
Myocarditis (mitochondrial M7, alpha myosin, ANT)
Autoimmune atrophic gastritis (parietal cell and anti–intrinsic factor (IF)
Myositis (Anti-Ro/SSA, anti-ARS)
Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) (U1-ribonucleoprotein RNP)​
Polymyositis (Anti-PM/Scl)​
Autoimmune myositis​
Necrotizing autoimmune myopathy (anti-signal recognition particle anti-SRP, HMGCR (3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase)​
Anti-synthetase antibody syndrome (Jo-1, PL-7 and anti-PL-12, anti-EJ, anti-OJ, anti-KS, anti-Zo, and anti-Ha)​

Studies

(1986) A study of anti-group A streptococcal monoclonal antibodies cross-reactive with myosin
  • Streptococcus: Myosin

(1987) Cardiac myosin induces myocarditis in genetically predisposed mice
  • Coxsackie 3: Myosin antibodies

(1989) Anti-DNA and antilymphocyte antibodies during acute infection with human parvovirus B19
  • Parvovirus B19: Anti-dsDNA antibody, Anti-ssDNA antibody, Cytotoxic anti-lymphocyte antibody

(1989) Antibodies to platelet membrane glycoprotein antigens in three cases of infectious mononucleosis‐induced thrombocytopenic purpura
  • EBV: Platelet membrane glycoprotein IIb

(1992) Age-related interference with Chlamydia pneumoniae microimmunofluorescence serology due to circulating rheumatoid factor.
  • Chlamydia Pneumoniae: Rheumatoid Factor

(1994) Chronic fatigue syndrome: immune dysfunction, role of pathogens and toxic agents and neurological and cardial changes
  • CFS: ANA, microsomal thyroid antibodies (TPO)

(1994) Epstein-Barr virus-transformed human B lymphocytes produce natural antibodies to histones
  • EBV: Histone

(1995) High incidence of antibodies to 5-hydroxytryptamine, gangliosides and phospholipids in patients with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia syndrome and their relatives: evidence for a clinical entity of both disorders
  • 5-HT
  • Gangliosides
  • Phospholipids

(1995) Platelet Membrane Glycoprotein IIb/IIIa has Sequence Homologies with Human Virus Proteins and Synthetic Viral Peptides Inhibit Anti-GPIIb/IIIa Antibodies in Autoimmune Thrombocytopenic Purpura
  • Parvovirus B19: Platelet membrane glycoprotein IIb/IIIa

(1996) Autoantibodies following Parvovirus B19 infection
  • Parvovirus B19: Rheumatoid factor, ANA, Anti-mitochondrial antibody, Anti-smooth muscle antibody, Anti-gastric parietal cell antibody, Anti-reticulin antibody

(1996) High expression of heat shock protein 60 in follicular cells of Hashimoto's thyroiditis
  • Hashimoto’s: HSP60

(1996) Autoantibodies to nuclear envelope antigens in chronic fatigue syndrome
  • ANA
  • Nuclear envelope antigens
  • lamin B1 protein

(1997) High frequency of autoantibodies to insoluble cellular antigens in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome
  • Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA)

(1997) Similarities of specificity and cofactor dependence in serum antiphospholipid antibodies from patients with human parvovirus B19 infection and from those with systemic lupus erythematosus
  • Parvovirus B19: Phosphatidylserine (10 of 12), Cardiolipin (6 of 12)

(1998) Chronic parvovirus B19 infection induces the production of anti-virus antibodies with autoantigen binding properties
  • Parvovirus B19: Collagen II, Keratin, ssDNA, Cardiolipin

(1999) Characterization of anti-heart antibodies in mice after infection with coxsackie B3 virus
  • Coxsackie 3: anti-myosin heavy chain, anti-actin, and anti-tropomyosin antibodies, heat shock proteins, and desmin

(1999) Disturbance of myocardial energy metabolism in experimental virus myocarditis by antibodies against the adenine nucleotide translocator
  • Coxsackie 3: adenine nucleotide translocator antibodies

(1999) Parvovirus B19‐associated interstitial lung disease, hepatitis, and myositis
  • Parvovirus B19: Homogenous nucleolar ANA 1:160 Anti-SS-A

(1999) Autoantibodies against oxidised low-density lipoprotein in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea.
  • Sleep Apnea: oxidised low-density lipoprotein (OxLDL-Abs)

(2000) Coxsackievirus B3 infection induces anti-flavoprotein antibodies in mice
  • Coxsackie 3: anti-flavoprotein antibodies

(2000) Specificity of anti-phospholipid antibodies in infectious mononucleosis: a role for anti-cofactor protein antibodies
  • EBV: Cardiolipin (14 of 46, 30%), annexin V (26%), Anti-protein S (10 of 46 22%), prothrombin (3 of 46 6.5%)

(2001) Autoantibodies to a 68/48 kDa protein in chronic fatigue syndrome and primary fibromyalgia: a possible marker for hypersomnia and cognitive disorders
  • CFS: 68/48 kDa protein

(2001) Pericardial Effusion and Cardiomyopathy Following Arthritis with Parvovirus B19 Infection: Response to Intravenous Immunoglobulin
  • Parvovirus B19: Transient ANA

(2001) Antibodies to beta 2-glycoprotein I and cardiolipin with symptoms suggestive of systemic lupus erythematosus in parvovirus B19 infection
  • Parvovirus B19: Anti-cardiolipin antibody

(2002) Chronic fatigue syndrome and arthralgia following parvovirus B19 infection
  • Parvovirus B19: ANA

(2002) Absence of elevated anti–α-synuclein and anti-EBV latent membrane protein antibodies in PD
  • EBV: Alpha-synuclein

(2003) Autoantibodies against muscarinic cholinergic receptor in chronic fatigue syndrome
  • M1 receptor
  • Mu-opioid receptor
  • ANA

(2003) Antiphospholipid antibodies in pediatric and adult patients with rheumatic disease are associated with parvovirus B19 infection
  • Parvovirus B19: Anti-phosphatidylserine antibody, Anti-β2-glycoprotein I antibody, Anti-cardiolipin antibody

(2003) Enterovirus infections are associated with the induction of beta-cell autoimmunity in a prospective birth cohort study
  • Enterovirus: beta-cell autoantibodies (aka islet cell)

(2004) Expression of the Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen-1 (EBNA-1) in the mouse can elicit the production of anti-dsDNA and anti-Sm antibodies
  • EBV: anti-dsDNA and anti-Sm antibodies

(2004) S. pyogenes heat-shock protein associated with chronic psoriasis
  • Guttate psoriasis: HSP60Sp (Streptococcus pyogenes)

(2004) Antiphospholipid Syndrome Infectious Origin
  • Have to authenticate, but… says that Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS) is associated w/ EBV, Parvovirus B19, Streptococcus
  • EBV: Cardiolipin, β2GPI, Phospholipid, and Thrombosis
  • Parvovirus B19: Cardiolipin, β2GPI, Phospholipid, and Thrombosis
  • Streptococcus: Cardiolipin, Phospholipid

(2005) Rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes, and Graves' disease after acute parvovirus B19 infection
  • Parvovirus B19: Rheumatoid factor Anti-GAD, high level Anti-TSH

(2005) Effects of Repeated Chlamydia pneumoniae Inoculations on Aortic Lipid Accumulation and Inflammatory Response in C57BL/6J Mice
  • Chlamydia Pneumoniae: chlamydial heat shock protein 60 (Hsp60) immunoglobulin G2c subclass antibodies

(2005) Evaluation of autoantibodies to common and neuronal cell antigens in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • CFS: antibodies to microtubule-associated protein 2 (MAP2) and ssDNA

(2005) Autoantibodies to Autonomic Nerves Associated With Cardiac and Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy
  • Autonomic Dysfunction: autonomic nerve autoantibodies (ANabs)

(2006) Chronic fatigue syndrome is accompanied by an IgM-related immune response directed against neopitopes formed by oxidative or nitrosative damage to lipids and proteins
  • CFS: Antibodies to fatty acids (oleic, palmitic and myristic acid), by-products of lipid peroxidation (MDA, azelaic acid), S-farnesyl-L-cysteine, and N-oxide modified amino-acids (nitro-tyrosine, nitro-phenylalanine, nitro-arginine, nitro-tryptophan, and nitro-cysteinyl)

(2006) Autoantibody Reaction to Myelin Basic Protein by Plasma Parvovirus B19 IgG in MS Patients
  • Parvovirus B19: Myelin basic protein

(2007) Antiphospholipid Antibodies in Response to Infection
  • Have to verify this… but says Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS) is associated with Parvovirus B19, EBV, Streptococcus, and Chlamydia
  • Parvovirus B19: Cardiolipin, anti–β2 -GPI, LA (Lupus Coagulant), and Thrombosis
  • EBV: Cardiolipin, anti–β2 -GPI, LA (Lupus Coagulant), and Thrombosis
  • Streptococcus: Cardiolipin, anti–β2 -GPI, LA (Lupus Coagulant), and Thrombosis
  • Chlamydia: Cardiolipin, anti–β2 -GPI

(2007) Increased serum IgM antibodies directed against phosphatidyl inositol (Pi) in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and major depression: evidence that an IgM-mediated immune response against Pi is one factor underpinning the comorbidity between both CFS and depression
  • CFS: Phosphatidylinositol (PI)

(2008) Acute phase phospholipids related to the cardiolipin of mitochondria in the sera of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), chronic ciguatera fish poisoning (CCFP), and other diseases attributed to chemicals, Gulf War, and marine toxins
  • CFS: Cardiolipin

(2008) An IgM-mediated immune response directed against nitro-bovine serum albumin (nitro-BSA) in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and major depression: evidence that nitrosative stress is another factor underpinning the comorbidity between major depression and CFS
  • CFS: NO-Bovine serum albumin (nitro-BSA) (a neoepitope of BSA formed by damage caused by nitrosative stress)

(2009) Anticardiolipin antibodies in the sera of patients with diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome
  • Cardiolipin

(2009) Prevalence of Agonistic Autoantibodies Against the Angiotensin II Type 1 Receptor and Soluble fms-Like Tyrosine Kinase 1 in a Gestational Age–Matched Case Study
  • Parvovirus B19: Angiotensin II type 1 receptor

(2009) Persistent parvovirus B19 infection detected by specific CD4+ T‐cell responses in a patient with hepatitis and polyarthritis
  • Parvovirus B19: Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody

(2009) Anti-human parvovirus B19 nonstructural protein antibodies in patients with rheumatoid arthritis

(2009) Autoantibodies, Polymorphisms in the Serotonin Pathway, and Human Leukocyte Antigen Class II Alleles in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • CFS: antiendothelial (30%, 24/81) and antineuronal (16%, 13/81) cell antibodies

(2010) Post-Streptococcal Auto-Antibodies Inhibit Protein Disulfide Isomerase and Are Associated with Insulin Resistance
  • Streptococcus: Protein Disulfide Isomerase (PDI) auto-antibodies

(2010) Prevalence of Autoantibodies in Patients of Psoriasis
  • Guttate psoriasis: dsDNA
(2011) Severe glomerulonephritis and encephalopathy associated with parvovirus B19 infection mimicking systemic lupus erythematosus
  • Parvovirus B19: Nucleolar ANA 1:400 Anti-dsDNA ≥1:320 Anti-cardiolipin IgM

(2011) Increased plasma peroxides as a marker of oxidative stress in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)
  • CFS: oxidized LDL (oxLDL) antibodies

(2011) Induction of anti‐β2‐glycoprotein I autoantibodies in mice by protein H of Streptococcus pyogenes
  • Streptococcus: β2‐glycoprotein I

(2012) IgM-mediated autoimmune responses directed against anchorage epitopes are greater in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) than in major depression
  • CFS: anchorage molecules (palmitic and myristic acid and S-farnesyl-L-cysteine), and NO-phenylalanine

(2012) Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome in children
  • CFS: anti-Sa (Vimentin)

(2013) Implications of a Vasodilatory Human Monoclonal Autoantibody in Postural Hypotension
  • Orthostatic hypotension: monoclonal autoantibody (C5F2)

(2013) Epitopes of microbial and human heat shock protein 60 and their recognition in myalgic encephalomyelitis
  • HSP60 (Chlamydia pneumoniae peptide)

(2013) Antiphospholipid antibodies during infectious mononucleosis and their long term clinical significance
  • EBV: β2 glycoprotein

(2013) In myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, increased autoimmune activity against 5-HT is associated with immuno-inflammatory pathways and bacterial translocation
  • CFS: 5-HT, ME/CFS (61.5%), “chronic fatigue” CF (13.9%), controls (5.7%), increased IgA antibodies to Lipopolysaccharides

(2014) A novel non-rapid-eye movement and rapid-eye-movement parasomnia with sleep breathing disorder associated with antibodies to IgLON5: a case series, characterisation of the antigen, and post-mortem study
  • Sleep apnea: Anti-IgLON5

(2015) Autoimmune autonomic ganglionopathy manifesting as acute-onset orthostatic hypotension in a patient undergoing peritoneal dialysis
  • Orthostatic Hypotension: ganglionic (alpha 3) nicotinic acetylcholine receptor

(2015) Cardiovascular Antibodies and Orthostatic Hypotension
  • Orthostatic Hypotension: G-ACh receptors, β 2 adrenergic receptors, and M2 muscarinic receptors

(2016) Antibodies to β adrenergic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • β-2 adrenergic receptor
  • M3 and M4 receptor

(2016) CSF herpes virus and autoantibody profiles in the evaluation of encephalitis
  • HSV-2: ANA (6 of 38?), unclassified neural antibodies (4 of 38)
  • EBV: Smooth muscle (3 of 6), ANA (2 of 6), unclassified neural antibodies (2 of 6), NMDA receptor (1 of 6) <<< prob more significant than it sounds

(2017) Autoantibody against NBL1 in obstructive sleep apnea patients with cardiovascular disease
  • Sleep Apnea: neuroblastoma suppressor of tumorigenicity 1 antibodies (NBL1-Abs)

(2017) Circulating Anti-Coatomer Protein Complex Subunit Epsilon (COPE) Autoantibodies as a Potential Biomarker for Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Events in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
  • Sleep Apnea: Anti-Coatomer Protein Complex Subunit Epsilon (COPE) Autoantibodies

(2017) Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome and gulf war illness patients exhibit increased humoral responses to the herpesviruses‐encoded dUTPase: Implications in disease pathophysiology
  • CFS: human dUTPase

(2017) A Retrospective Study on the Association between Thyroid Autoantibodies with β2-glycoprotein and Cardiolipin Antibodies in Recurrent Miscarriage
  • Hashimoto: Cardiolipin, and β2-glycoprotein I

(2017) The interaction between anti-Ro/SSA and anti-La/SSB autoantibodies and anti-infectious antibodies in a wide spectrum of auto-immune diseases: Another angle of the autoimmune mosaic
  • EBV: Anti-SSA/Ro, Anti-La/SSB

(2018) Circulating autoantibodies against neuroblastoma suppressor of tumorigenicity 1 (NBL1): A potential biomarker for coronary artery disease in patients with obstructive sleep apnea
  • Sleep Apnea: neuroblastoma suppressor of tumorigenicity 1 (NBL1-Abs)

(2018) Rheumatic Disease Autoantibodies in Patients with Autoimmune Thyroid Diseases
  • Hashimoto: Rheumatoid factor (RF)

(2018) Sleep disorders in primary antiphospholipid syndrome
  • Sleep Apnea: Antiphospholipid antibodies (those w/ PAPS had worse sleep than controls)

(2019) Anti-N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor encephalitis associated with reactivated Epstein–Barr virus infection in pediatric patients
  • EBV: Anti-N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor (NMDAR) antibodies found in (3) active EBV patients

(2020) Ganglionic Acetylcholine Receptor Antibodies and Autonomic Dysfunction in Autoimmune Rheumatic Diseases
  • Autonomic Dysfunction: ganglionic acetylcholine receptors (gAChRs)

Last edited:
(but obviously, it is related more to be and my infections and conditions)

EBV
Intermediate filament IF - Keratin, and Vimentin (57kDA) (part of nuclear envelope)
p542 antibodies
p554 antibodies
Thyrotropin receptor antibodies (TRAbs) (seen in Graves disease and hyperthyroidism)
Smooth Muscle
Cardiolipin
Annexin V
Anti-protein S
Prothrombin
Anti-La/SSB
β2 glycoprotein
Alpha-synuclein

Strep
Myosin

CFS
Human dUTPase
ANA
Intermediate filament IF - Lamin B1, and cytoplasmic proteins (part of nuclear envelope)
Phospholipids
Gangliosides (AGA)
5-HT
Neoepitopes
Oleic acid (fatty acid)
NO-phenylalanine
M1/3/4 (AChR)
Beta-2 Adr
TPO
Mu-opioid receptor
ssDNA
S-farnesyl-L-cysteine
N-oxide modified amino-acids (nitro-tyrosine, nitro-phenylalanine, nitro-arginine, nitro-tryptophan, and nitro-cysteinyl)
Lipopolysaccharides

Parvovirus
Collagen II
Myelin basic protein
ssDNA
Anti-lymphocyte antibody
Rheumatoid factor
ANA

Enterovirus

Mycoplasma Pneumoniae
GALC

Sleep Apnea
Anti-IgLON5
Phospholipids

Chlamydia Pneumoniae
Rheumatoid Factor

Hashimoto’s
Rheumatoid factor (RF)
HSP60 elevated in blood
Cardiolipin
β2-glycoprotein I

Guttate Psoriasis
dsDNA
HSP60 elevated in blood

Psoriasis
apolipoprotein A-I
Apolipoprotein E

HSV-2
ANA (6 of 38?)

Autonomic Dysfunction
Amphiphysin CPT 84182

Orthostatic Hypotension
G-ACh receptors
β 2 adrenergic receptors
M2 muscarinic receptors

Abdominal Muscle Spasm
Acquired neuromyotonia (voltage-gated potassium channels, Caspr2, voltage-gated potassium channel)
Autoimmune myositis​
Necrotizing autoimmune myopathy (anti-signal recognition particle anti-SRP, HMGCR (3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase)​
Anti-synthetase antibody syndrome (Jo-1, PL-7 and anti-PL-12, anti-EJ, anti-OJ, anti-KS, anti-Zo, and anti-Ha)​

Studies

(1986) A study of anti-group A streptococcal monoclonal antibodies cross-reactive with myosin

(1989) Anti-DNA and antilymphocyte antibodies during acute infection with human parvovirus B19
  • Parvovirus B19: Anti-dsDNA antibody, Anti-ssDNA antibody, Cytotoxic anti-lymphocyte antibody

(1989) Antibodies to platelet membrane glycoprotein antigens in three cases of infectious mononucleosis‐induced thrombocytopenic purpura

(1992) Age-related interference with Chlamydia pneumoniae microimmunofluorescence serology due to circulating rheumatoid factor.

(1994) Chronic fatigue syndrome: immune dysfunction, role of pathogens and toxic agents and neurological and cardial changes

(1994) Epstein-Barr virus-transformed human B lymphocytes produce natural antibodies to histones

(1995) High incidence of antibodies to 5-hydroxytryptamine, gangliosides and phospholipids in patients with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia syndrome and their relatives: evidence for a clinical entity of both disorders
  • 5-HT
  • Gangliosides
  • Phospholipids

(1995) Platelet Membrane Glycoprotein IIb/IIIa has Sequence Homologies with Human Virus Proteins and Synthetic Viral Peptides Inhibit Anti-GPIIb/IIIa Antibodies in Autoimmune Thrombocytopenic Purpura

• Parvovirus B19: Rheumatoid factor, ANA, Anti-mitochondrial antibody, Anti-smooth muscle antibody, Anti-gastric parietal cell antibody, Anti-reticulin antibody

(1996) High expression of heat shock protein 60 in follicular cells of Hashimoto's thyroiditis

• ANA
  • lamin B1 protein

(1997) High frequency of autoantibodies to insoluble cellular antigens in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome

(1997) Similarities of specificity and cofactor dependence in serum antiphospholipid antibodies from patients with human parvovirus B19 infection and from those with systemic lupus erythematosus

(1998) Chronic parvovirus B19 infection induces the production of anti-virus antibodies with autoantigen binding properties

(1999) Characterization of anti-heart antibodies in mice after infection with coxsackie B3 virus
  • Coxsackie 3: anti-myosin heavy chain, anti-actin, and anti-tropomyosin antibodies, heat shock proteins, and desmin

(1999) Disturbance of myocardial energy metabolism in experimental virus myocarditis by antibodies against the adenine nucleotide translocator

(1999) Parvovirus B19‐associated interstitial lung disease, hepatitis, and myositis

(1999) Autoantibodies against oxidised low-density lipoprotein in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea.

(2000) Specificity of anti-phospholipid antibodies in infectious mononucleosis: a role for anti-cofactor protein antibodies
  • EBV: Cardiolipin (14 of 46, 30%), annexin V (26%), Anti-protein S (10 of 46 22%), prothrombin (3 of 46 6.5%)

(2001) Autoantibodies to a 68/48 kDa protein in chronic fatigue syndrome and primary fibromyalgia: a possible marker for hypersomnia and cognitive disorders

(2001) Pericardial Effusion and Cardiomyopathy Following Arthritis with Parvovirus B19 Infection: Response to Intravenous Immunoglobulin

(2001) Antibodies to beta 2-glycoprotein I and cardiolipin with symptoms suggestive of systemic lupus erythematosus in parvovirus B19 infection

(2002) Chronic fatigue syndrome and arthralgia following parvovirus B19 infection

(2002) Absence of elevated anti–α-synuclein and anti-EBV latent membrane protein antibodies in PD

(2003) Autoantibodies against muscarinic cholinergic receptor in chronic fatigue syndrome
  • M1 receptor
  • Mu-opioid receptor
  • ANA

(2003) Antiphospholipid antibodies in pediatric and adult patients with rheumatic disease are associated with parvovirus B19 infection
  • Parvovirus B19: Anti-phosphatidylserine antibody, Anti-β2-glycoprotein I antibody, Anti-cardiolipin antibody

(2003) Enterovirus infections are associated with the induction of beta-cell autoimmunity in a prospective birth cohort study

(2004) Expression of the Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen-1 (EBNA-1) in the mouse can elicit the production of anti-dsDNA and anti-Sm antibodies

• Have to authenticate, but… says that Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS) is associated w/ EBV, Parvovirus B19, Streptococcus

(2005) Rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes, and Graves' disease after acute parvovirus B19 infection

(2005) Effects of Repeated Chlamydia pneumoniae Inoculations on Aortic Lipid Accumulation and Inflammatory Response in C57BL/6J Mice
  • Chlamydia Pneumoniae: chlamydial heat shock protein 60 (Hsp60) immunoglobulin G2c subclass antibodies

(2005) Evaluation of autoantibodies to common and neuronal cell antigens in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

(2005) Autoantibodies to Autonomic Nerves Associated With Cardiac and Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy

(2006) Chronic fatigue syndrome is accompanied by an IgM-related immune response directed against neopitopes formed by oxidative or nitrosative damage to lipids and proteins
  • CFS: Antibodies to fatty acids (oleic, palmitic and myristic acid), by-products of lipid peroxidation (MDA, azelaic acid), S-farnesyl-L-cysteine, and N-oxide modified amino-acids (nitro-tyrosine, nitro-phenylalanine, nitro-arginine, nitro-tryptophan, and nitro-cysteinyl)

(2006) Autoantibody Reaction to Myelin Basic Protein by Plasma Parvovirus B19 IgG in MS Patients

• Have to verify this… but says Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS) is associated with Parvovirus B19, EBV, Streptococcus, and Chlamydia
  • Parvovirus B19: Cardiolipin, anti–β2 -GPI, LA (Lupus Coagulant), and Thrombosis
  • Streptococcus: Cardiolipin, anti–β2 -GPI, LA (Lupus Coagulant), and Thrombosis

(2007) Increased serum IgM antibodies directed against phosphatidyl inositol (Pi) in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and major depression: evidence that an IgM-mediated immune response against Pi is one factor underpinning the comorbidity between both CFS and depression

(2008) Acute phase phospholipids related to the cardiolipin of mitochondria in the sera of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), chronic ciguatera fish poisoning (CCFP), and other diseases attributed to chemicals, Gulf War, and marine toxins

(2008) An IgM-mediated immune response directed against nitro-bovine serum albumin (nitro-BSA) in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and major depression: evidence that nitrosative stress is another factor underpinning the comorbidity between major depression and CFS
  • CFS: NO-Bovine serum albumin (nitro-BSA) (a neoepitope of BSA formed by damage caused by nitrosative stress)

(2009) Anticardiolipin antibodies in the sera of patients with diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome
  • Cardiolipin

(2009) Prevalence of Agonistic Autoantibodies Against the Angiotensin II Type 1 Receptor and Soluble fms-Like Tyrosine Kinase 1 in a Gestational Age–Matched Case Study

(2009) Persistent parvovirus B19 infection detected by specific CD4+ T‐cell responses in a patient with hepatitis and polyarthritis

(2009) Anti-human parvovirus B19 nonstructural protein antibodies in patients with rheumatoid arthritis

(2009) Autoantibodies, Polymorphisms in the Serotonin Pathway, and Human Leukocyte Antigen Class II Alleles in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • CFS: antiendothelial (30%, 24/81) and antineuronal (16%, 13/81) cell antibodies

(2010) Post-Streptococcal Auto-Antibodies Inhibit Protein Disulfide Isomerase and Are Associated with Insulin Resistance

(2011) Severe glomerulonephritis and encephalopathy associated with parvovirus B19 infection mimicking systemic lupus erythematosus

(2011) Increased plasma peroxides as a marker of oxidative stress in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)

(2011) Induction of anti‐β2‐glycoprotein I autoantibodies in mice by protein H of Streptococcus pyogenes

(2012) IgM-mediated autoimmune responses directed against anchorage epitopes are greater in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) than in major depression
  • CFS: anchorage molecules (palmitic and myristic acid and S-farnesyl-L-cysteine), and NO-phenylalanine

(2013) Implications of a Vasodilatory Human Monoclonal Autoantibody in Postural Hypotension

(2013) Epitopes of microbial and human heat shock protein 60 and their recognition in myalgic encephalomyelitis

(2013) Antiphospholipid antibodies during infectious mononucleosis and their long term clinical significance

(2013) In myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, increased autoimmune activity against 5-HT is associated with immuno-inflammatory pathways and bacterial translocation
  • CFS: 5-HT, ME/CFS (61.5%), “chronic fatigue” CF (13.9%), controls (5.7%), increased IgA antibodies to Lipopolysaccharides

(2014) A novel non-rapid-eye movement and rapid-eye-movement parasomnia with sleep breathing disorder associated with antibodies to IgLON5: a case series, characterisation of the antigen, and post-mortem study

(2015) Autoimmune autonomic ganglionopathy manifesting as acute-onset orthostatic hypotension in a patient undergoing peritoneal dialysis
  • Orthostatic Hypotension: ganglionic (alpha 3) nicotinic acetylcholine receptor

• Orthostatic Hypotension: G-ACh receptors, β 2 adrenergic receptors, and M2 muscarinic receptors

(2016) Antibodies to β adrenergic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • M3 and M4 receptor

(2016) CSF herpes virus and autoantibody profiles in the evaluation of encephalitis
  • EBV: Smooth muscle (3 of 6), ANA (2 of 6), unclassified neural antibodies (2 of 6), NMDA receptor (1 of 6) <<< prob more significant than it sounds

(2017) Autoantibody against NBL1 in obstructive sleep apnea patients with cardiovascular disease
  • Sleep Apnea: neuroblastoma suppressor of tumorigenicity 1 antibodies (NBL1-Abs)

(2017) Circulating Anti-Coatomer Protein Complex Subunit Epsilon (COPE) Autoantibodies as a Potential Biomarker for Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Events in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea
  • Sleep Apnea: Anti-Coatomer Protein Complex Subunit Epsilon (COPE) Autoantibodies

(2017) Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome and gulf war illness patients exhibit increased humoral responses to the herpesviruses‐encoded dUTPase: Implications in disease pathophysiology

(2017) A Retrospective Study on the Association between Thyroid Autoantibodies with β2-glycoprotein and Cardiolipin Antibodies in Recurrent Miscarriage

(2017) The interaction between anti-Ro/SSA and anti-La/SSB autoantibodies and anti-infectious antibodies in a wide spectrum of auto-immune diseases: Another angle of the autoimmune mosaic

(2018) Circulating autoantibodies against neuroblastoma suppressor of tumorigenicity 1 (NBL1): A potential biomarker for coronary artery disease in patients with obstructive sleep apnea

(2018) Rheumatic Disease Autoantibodies in Patients with Autoimmune Thyroid Diseases

• Sleep Apnea: Antiphospholipid antibodies (those w/ PAPS had worse sleep than controls)

(2019) Anti-N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor encephalitis associated with reactivated Epstein–Barr virus infection in pediatric patients
  • EBV: Anti-N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor (NMDAR) antibodies found in (3) active EBV patients

(2020) Ganglionic Acetylcholine Receptor Antibodies and Autonomic Dysfunction in Autoimmune Rheumatic Diseases

Oh what a beautiful list my friend! Have you been tested for all of the above? How does one even begin that quest? No GP in their right mind is going to clear all those...

I know you can use a website like "request a test" but I'm not sure how sensitive or lab-specific those are?

(but obviously, it is related more to be and my infections and conditions)

EBV
p542 antibodies
p554 antibodies
Smooth Muscle
Cardiolipin
Annexin V
Anti-protein S
Prothrombin
Anti-La/SSB
β2 glycoprotein
Alpha-synuclein

Strep
Myosin

CFS
Human dUTPase
ANA
Phospholipids
Gangliosides (AGA)
5-HT
Neoepitopes
Oleic acid (fatty acid)
NO-phenylalanine
M1/3/4 (AChR)
Beta-2 Adr
TPO
Mu-opioid receptor
ssDNA
S-farnesyl-L-cysteine
Lipopolysaccharides

Parvovirus
Collagen II
Myelin basic protein
ssDNA
Anti-lymphocyte antibody
Rheumatoid factor
ANA

Enterovirus

Mycoplasma Pneumoniae
GALC

Sleep Apnea
Anti-IgLON5
Phospholipids

Chlamydia Pneumoniae
Rheumatoid Factor

Hashimoto’s
Rheumatoid factor (RF)
HSP60 elevated in blood
Cardiolipin
β2-glycoprotein I

Guttate Psoriasis
dsDNA
HSP60 elevated in blood

Psoriasis
apolipoprotein A-I
Apolipoprotein E

HSV-2
ANA (6 of 38?)

Autonomic Dysfunction
Amphiphysin CPT 84182

Orthostatic Hypotension
G-ACh receptors
β 2 adrenergic receptors
M2 muscarinic receptors

Abdominal Muscle Spasm
Autoimmune myositis​

Studies

• 5-HT
  • Gangliosides
  • Phospholipids

• ANA
  • lamin B1 protein

• M1 receptor
  • Mu-opioid receptor
  • ANA

• Cardiolipin

• M3 and M4 receptor

I notice you have some repeating tests like HSP60 and RA factor, is that just stating those are also associated with the conditions?

sometexan84

I am a little confused on the PEM mechanism, I don't think a lot of autoimmunity gets PEM
That's because other conditions don't use "PEM", they say "exercise intolerance". PEM is mostly a name used in CFS. While "exercise intolerance" is a little more ambiguous and vague, it can for sure mean the same thing.

This symptom is seen in many other conditions - here's something on PEM w/ cancer.

You can Google "me cfs post exertional malaise" and get a ton of results. You can also Google "autoimmune disease exercise intolerance", and you'll see even more results.

It's semantics.

sometexan84

I notice you have some repeating tests like HSP60 and RA factor, is that just stating those are also associated with the conditions?
Those are just in reference to the infection or condition above.

Like, each bolded section like "EBV" or "Hashimoto's".... everything below that means that auto-antibody has been associated. And the studies way below should have a reference to it.

sometexan84

Is there some sort of definitive list to all the auto-antibodies one should be tested for?
As far as I know, this is the first list for ME/CFS.

I'll try my best to use everything I've learned from speaking w/ those here these past months to try and give the best list I can. So, these are auto-antibodies I think people in this forum should test for.

It's just hard, I mean, you have to know your symptoms well to go in the right direction. Like, do you have dilated pupils? Do you have numbness? Do you have really cold feet? Do you have nausea? Do you have heart palpitations? Do you have bladder problems? headaches, anemia symptoms, etc...

There are so many possibilities. I am honestly breaking this down into only the primary suspects.
  • Myasthenia gravis >90% have acetylcholine receptor antibodies, which are the ones below...
  • Beta-1 adrenergic receptor
  • Beta-2 adrenergic receptor
  • Muscarinic cholinergic (M1) receptor
  • Muscarinic cholinergic (M2) receptor
  • Muscarinic cholinergic (M3) receptor
  • Muscarinic cholinergic (M4) receptor
  • Antinuclear antibodies (ANA) (Tons of autoimmune diseases)
    • I'm negative for ANA, if you're positive, then there are many antibodies you should test for that fall into this category
  • Thyroid peroxidase (TPO) (Hashimoto's)
  • Thyrotropin Receptor (TRAb) (Graves' disease)
  • Angiotensin-II-Receptor-1 (AT1R)
  • Voltage-gated calcium-channel (VGCC)
  • Voltage gated potassium channel (VGKC)
  • NMDA receptor (N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor) (can cause autonomic dysfunction)
  • Ganglionic acetylcholine receptor (alpha 3) (α3-AChR Ab) (Autonomic Autoimmune Ganglionophathy)
  • Antiphospholipid antibodies (Antiphospholipid Syndrome)
    • Cardiolipin
    • Beta 2 glycoprotein
    • Lupus Coagulant
    • Phosphatidylserine (above 3 are usually the only ones done, but do this one too!)
  • Saccharomyces cerevisiae (Crohn's disease)
  • Heat Shock Protein 60 (HSP60) - if you find some way to get this test done, PLEASE let me know!!
  • Rheumatoid Factor (definitely)
  • Serotonin (5-HT) - possibly the largest % found in ME/CFS thus far
  • Anti-Cytokine
    • Yes they have found these, especially in COVID long-haulers
  • Gangliosides (associated with diverse peripheral neuropathies) (50% in Guillain-Barre syndrome)
  • Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA) (common in Vasculitis and Ulcerative Colitis)
  • Oxidized LDL (oxLDL) antibodies (If you find a place that tests for this, PLEASE let me know)
  • Important heart antibodies
    • Platelets
    • Collagen
    • Adenine nucleotide translocator (ANT)
    • Myosin
    • Annexin
    • Lamin / Laminin (they may be the same thing, or not....? I couldn't find out)
    • Endothelial Cells (Atherosclerosis)
    • Actin (Smooth Muscle)
  • GAD65 (Type 1 Diabetes, limbic encephalitis, cerebellar ataxia)
  • Myelin basic protein
  • dsDNA antibody (anti-double stranded DNA) (something those w/ ME/CFS test positive for a lot, though I have yet to see how exactly this causes symptoms....)
  • IgLON5
  • Striational muscle
  • ADAMTS13
  • Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (CCP)
  • Parietal cell antibodies
  • Autoimmune Hemolytic anemia
    • Warm-reactive (immunoglobulin G) antibodies
    • Cold agglutinin autoantibodies
  • Anticentromere autoantibody (ACA) in Scleroderma (aka Systemic Sclerosis)
  • Beta-cell autoantibodies (aka islet cell)
I left out most of the auto-antibodies that are associated w/ cancer, they're called Paraneoplastic.

Last edited:

sometexan84

Have you been tested for all of the above? How does one even begin that quest? No GP in their right mind is going to clear all those...
No, I have not. And nor should you.

This was research.... a starting point. I did a lot more research after that. I was just looking for correlations initially, like patterns I guess.

Eventually, I got to conditions I thought I might have based on that stuff, my symptoms, and other stuff like my HLA risk alleles test, my Cytokine profile, and my gut bacteria microbiome analysis.

Like I said above, it's tricky. There's too much to test for. And some are not commercially available.

You need to look into your symptoms and what possible conditions you could have. I don't know. It just takes a lot of research. Maybe I'll just try and spruce up the list a little bit to try and help more...

Also, if you test negative for ANA, you can rule out a whole bunch of them.

pattismith

Autoantibodies, autonomic dysfunction, and small-fiber polyneuropathy

Mr. Whelan and colleagues conducted an extensive analysis of medical records of 364 patients with ME/CFS (72% female) to identify potential aaSFPN comorbidity. Such identifications were made on the basis of progress notes documenting autonomic dysfunction, laboratory results for serum autoantibodies, and questionnaire symptom self-reports.

They identified 61 patients as possibly having comorbid aaSFPN.

Of those, 52% tested positive for at least 1 of 4 autoantibodies, including
- antimuscarinic cholinergic receptor 4 (47%),
- anti-beta-2 adrenergic (27%),
- antimuscarinic cholinergic 3 (25%),
- and anti-beta-1 adrenergic (13%).

These autoantibodies were linked to ME/CFS in a recent Swedish cohort study.

"Evidence supports that these autoantibodies may bind to receptor sites, blocking ligands from reaching these receptors. Disturbances of adrenergic and cholinergic receptors by these autoantibodies may contribute to symptoms of autonomic dysfunction in ME/CFS," Mr. Whelan said.

Although 22% of patients in the study group had POTS and 59% had OI, the authors found no correlation between autoantibody levels and either OI or POTS.

However, 38% were confirmed to have small-fiber polyneuropathy on skin biopsy, and the vast majority of those patients (93%) had either POTS or OI.

"We intend to further evaluate IVIG as a potential treatment in ME/CFS … and hope to identify a subset of ME/CFS patients who will respond favorably to IVIG."

Neurology Reviews - October2020 - Small-fiber polyneuropathy may underlie dysautonomia in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (neurologyreviews-digital.com)

Hip

If a disease is caused or contributed to by autoantibodies, then it should improve via plasmapheresis, which is where a patient's blood plasma (in which antibodies float) is removed, and replaced with pure saline.

The trouble with plasmapheresis is the cost: a course of 5 daily plasmapheresis sessions is around $5,000 to $10,000, and any improvement in symptoms may just be transient, because once the plasmapheresis stops, the body will make more antibodies to replace the ones that were removed.

There are a number of interesting threads on plasmapheresis on this forum, if you Google search.

I've wondered whether the improvements in ME/CFS that often occur during pregnancy might be due to one of the main pregnancy hormones estriol, which is known to protect against autoimmunity:

Estriol generates tolerogenic dendritic cells in vivo that protect against autoimmunity

You can get an estriol cream which you can apply transdermal to your skin. This hormone has been used experimentally to treat multiple sclerosis autoimmunity. I've tried doses of 0.3 mg of transdermal estriol daily for a week or so. I find it has a mild antidepressant effect. Long term use (eg 6 months) in males can lead to mild breast growth though.

The Chinese herb Rehmannia, and especially its active ingredient catalpol, has anti-autoimmune effects. It has been shown effective in treating Sjogren's in mice, an autoimmune disease linked to coxsackievirus B. 1

Royal jelly is beneficial for autoimmunity in Graves' disease. 1

Vitamin D beneficial for autoimmunity in Graves' disease 1 and myasthenia gravis. 1 Dr Coimbra uses massive doses of vitamin D for treating autoimmune diseases like MS.

Graves' disease, myasthenia gravis and Sjogren's are all type II autoimmune diseases, which means they are caused by autoantibodies synthesized by B-cells which bind to host cells.

Hip

@Hip do you know of any items that maybe of use against hypogammaglobulinemia?

I am afraid I don't, apart from IVIG.

Of the top of my head, I wonder if high-dose bovine colostrum might be useful? Like one or two heaped teaspoons of powder daily. This contains around 30% IgG. Unfortunately the IgG remains in the gut, and is not absorbed systemically. However, it may be helpful in the gut. I've used colostrum in the past, and found it improves mood a little.

As an aside: not sure if it has any relevance, but I found this story of a women who cured her Chlamydia pneumoniae ME/CFS using a home treatment consisting of IgY antibodies from a chicken egg fascinating.

She injected the chicken with her blood, so that the chicken started making antibodies against the infections in her blood, including Chlamydia pneumoniae. Those chicken antibodies are naturally produced in large quantities in the eggs the chicken lays. So then she just started consuming the raw yolk from the chicken eggs.

Last edited:

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I developed ME in 2008 followed by systemic lupus erythematosis in 2014. My lupus is very well controlled with methotrexate and plaquenil and yet this has not improved the severity, frequency and duration of ME fatigue, cognitive problems. If it was really autoimmune then the fatigue should improve along with the SLE symptoms. It doesn't.

I have past history of mononucleosis and antibodies for HHV6. Targeting the viruses with immunotherapy has led to big improvements in enhancing concentration, reduction in periostitis, reducing depression and anxiety. It's a slow process (apoptosis) but hopefully will work.

Here's a presentation from Dr. Brupesh Prusty showing that HHV6 is very common in ME patients and that the infected cells secrete a chemical which causes mitochondral fragmentation that disables healthy mitochondria even without viral infection.

Last edited:

Hip

I developed ME in 2008 followed by systemic lupus erythematosis in 2014. My lupus is very well controlled with methotrexate and plaquenil and yet this has not improved the severity, frequency and duration of ME fatigue, cognitive problems. If it was really autoimmune then the fatigue should improve along with the SLE symptoms. It doesn't.

Lupus is actually a type III hypersensitivity autoimmune disease, which involves circulating immune complexes, rather than the direct effect of autoantibodies binding to cellular components like receptors, which is type II hypersensitivity (or sometimes called type V if the cellular component the autoantibody binds to is a receptor).

In autoimmunity and allergy, there are five types of hypersensitivity reactions (the Gell and Coombs classification).

Some subtypes of POTS are thought to involve autoantibodies binding to a receptor, so that would be a type II hypersensitivity (or more specifically type V).

Drugs which help type III hypersensitivity autoimmunity may not work for type II hypersensitivity autoimmunity.

Last edited:

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
If a disease is caused or contributed to by autoantibodies, then it should improve via plasmapheresis, which is where a patient's blood plasma (in which antibodies float) is removed, and replaced with pure saline.

The trouble with plasmapheresis is the cost: a course of 5 daily plasmapheresis sessions is around $5,000 to $10,000, and any improvement in symptoms may just be transient, because once the plasmapheresis stops, the body will make more antibodies to replace the ones that were removed.
This would be great if it led to research direction.
If someone experienced improvement on this it would suggest where we need to look for the cause of this disease.

Has anyone tried it?

Last edited:

sometexan84

Couple of other interesting developments...

1) Autoimmunity may be rising in the United States

2) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is listed in the Autoimmune Registry (this I found out just now)

Nov. 18, 2020 - The Autoimmune Registry releases first complete list of autoimmune diseases with prevalence statistics, disease subtypes, and disease profiles

It's a new list of autoimmune diseases. I thought I'd go ahead and register myself. When I got to this step, I saw "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" was listed as one of the autoimmune disease/conditions.

I was not expecting that.

And btw, the majority of articles in the past couple years usually state there are 80 autoimmune diseases. This new list includes 150 autoimmune diseases. But they still do not list them all. They are missing some.

1608422770960.png