• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV - Where Do We Stand? (ME/FM Network Statement)

shannah

XMRV WHERE DO WE STAND
by National ME/FM Action Network on Friday, December 24, 2010 at 10:31pm

Dear Friends:

XMRV WHERE DO WE STAND

As most of you know, 4 papers were published in the journal of Retroviroligy while a 5th commented on them pointing out how easy it is to contaminate lab experiments involving the XMRV virus. The authors themselves disagreed on the interpretation of their data. One senior author stated that he just wanted to point out how easy it is to test positive for XMRV, even if the person is actually negative, if a tiny bit of the mouse DNA gets into the sample tested.

There is no need to get upset about these findings in the latest papers as it did not prove the other studies who did find the retrovirus wrong. It only means that those testing the XMRV samples need to be extremely careful because of the possibility of contamination. Something that researchers are very well aware of and dont need to be reminded of.

The way to look at the latest findings is that they are doing research and that for any negatives found, the researchers who are way ahead of this research, can easily rectify any negatives that are being thrown in the way of solving the problem of XMRV. No one would be going through all this trouble if they had actual proof that it doesnt exist.

Take pride in the fact that we are being taken seriously and research is ongoing. We know that both XMRV and MLV has been found. Scientists are hard at work to discover what these findings mean in regards to ME/CFS and what role, if any, it plays in the illness. Once that is established, the research on treatment can go full speed ahead.

Hang in there everyone, we are getting there.

Lydia

Lydia E. Neilson, M.S.M. , Founder

Chief Executive Officer

NATIONAL ME/FM ACTION NETWORK

512 - 33 Banner Road

Nepean, ON K2H 8V7 Canada

Tel. 613.829.6667

Fax 613.829.8518

Email: mefmaction@ncf.ca

www.mefmaction.net

NATIONAL ME/FM ACTION NETWORK - HOST OF THE IACFS/ME INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH & CLINICAL CONFERENCE

http://www.facebook.com/notes/national-mefm-action-network/xmrv-where-do-we-stand/177525138937333

Sing

It was good to read this today, Christmas day. It helped me feel encouraged and restored perspective, which I can lose when my mind goes chasing off after all the "What if's?" and the "Oh, no's!"

Lydia Neilson is one of our leaders with an incisive, balanced, forward-thinking mind, even though she has been struggling with this same illness for decades. Thank you, Lydia, and thank you shannah, for bringing her message to our forum.

Sing