• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV Prevalence and CFS Definition Poll

I think XMRV Will Be Found In

• Most people (75%) who fit the Canadian Criteria

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Many people (35-75%) who fit the Canadian Criteria

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Some people (1-35%) who fit the Canadian Criteria

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Most people (75%) who fit the Fukuda (International) Definition

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Many people (35-75%) who fit the Fukuda (International) Definition

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Some people (1-35%) who fit the Fukuda (International) Definition

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Most people (75%) who fit the Oxford or Empirical Definition

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Many people (35-50%) who fit the Oxford or Empirical Definition

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Some people (1-35%) who fit the Oxford or Empirical Definition

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I do not think XMRV will be found

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
What effect do you think will who falls into what definition will have their chances of testing positive for XMRV? Take the poll!

You can answer multiple times - one for each definition. Oxford and Empirical Definitions were merged because we only have 10 allowable slots. Oxford is better known but the CDC has tested Empirical Definition patients and that study will reportedly be out soon - hence my throwing Empirical in there.

bullybeef

Called me pedantic (I’ve been called much worse) but are these test based on, at the very least, a serology test? Obviously, this antibody would improve the positive percentages.

Mark

I would assume it means..."will eventually be found to have XMRV, by whatever test".

taniaaust1

I will be truely surprised if im found not to have XMRV as prostate cancer (along with CFS and fibromyalgia) runs in both sides of my family with both my grandparents dying from prostate cancer). Im wondering how many others have a prostate cancer connection in family possibly due to XMRV. Maybe some of us are actually born affected with the virus?..... but if so why does it then flare up?? or whatever its doing at some point of our lives and making us very sick at that point? i had 2 occassions in my childhood looking back where obviously something was wrong.. then seriously sick with EBV when a young teen, but why then did it take me 10 yrs or so later to get very sick? Maybe something genetically wrong in the first place which predisposed us to it??? There seems to me to be something else in this picture on top of just the possible XMRV answer.