• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV makes bioportfolio and the Irish Medical Times

leelaplay

[if: haven't looked in to bioportfolio, but the the name suggests to me a news service for those who invest in biotechnology stocks. I find the things that make me happy quite interesting these days!]

Correlation suggested between XMRV and prostate cancer
Wednesday 21st of April 2010 6:21
The recently discovered retrovirus, xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) has been identified in some prostate cancer patients. In light of conflicting data concerning XMRV, standardised diagnostic... Full Story

Correlation suggested between XMRV and prostate cancer

The recently discovered retrovirus, xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) has been identified in some prostate cancer patients.

In light of conflicting data concerning XMRV, standardised diagnostic testing is important to identify patients in which XMRV is present and to determine whether it plays a role in the incidence of prostate cancer, according to leading researchers.

Against that background, the researchers adapted technology developed in the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) arena (neutralising antibody assay) and have developed a serum test that can identify patients who have previously been infected with the virus.

The mode of transmission of the virus is unknown, according to the researchers. No method is available to screen either blood or tissue donors for infection and no data are available regarding whether the virus can be transmitted by blood transfusion or tissue transplantation.

Although the assay used in the present report involved the inhibition of infection of target cells by viral-like particles with the XMRV envelope protein expressed on their surface, results also suggested that more standard serologic tests for antibodies against specific viral antigens can be developed in the future.

The findings add to the growing body of evidence that XMRV is indeed a novel gamma-retrovirus capable of infecting humans and that at least some patients with prostate cancer have been infected with XMRV, the researchers commented.

Urology 2010;75:755-761

Posted in on 21 April 2010
Tags: prostate cancer