• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WSJ: Does X (the Virus, That Is) Mark the Spot in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

VillageLife

Are patients who test positive for more than one MLV-related virus at the same time sicker than people who test positive for only one of the viruses?
This is a worry, some poor people may have 4 retroviruses.

I think its a hard thing to work out, because at times people are bed bound but then years later they get a lot better.

Rrrr

so those of us who are super sick may have many viruses (x or p viruses).

those of us who are mildly sick may only have 1-2 viruses.

things just got a lot more complicated. now the only thing i can say that makes me happy about any of this is that this is spurring on more research, and all those retrovirologists who were looking for more to do (besides just HIV) can sink their teeth into this meaty subject. let the research begin! (or continue, in this case.)

mojoey

Wait a minute....

I don't think XMRV is being referred to as X. I thought X signified xenotropic MLV and P signified polytropic MLV. XMRV stands for xenotropic MLV-RELATED virus and based on the following commentary of the Lo/Alter study, is a HYBRID of the two.

"Indeed,
XMRV genomes (1, 2) are actually
hybrids between polytropic endogenous
MLV sequences for their 5′ half up to
approximately the middle of pol and
xenotropic MLV for their 3′ half that
harbors env."
- http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/08/16/1007944107.full.pdf+html

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Can I suggest that we visit Amy's blog so that her employers can see how many hits she gets when she writes about XMRV/CFS? Here's the link. This will help to make sure that she gets a chance to keep covering the story as it continues.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Oh! And I've also found that it's possible to leave a comment (without registering so it takes no time). Let's get on there and thank her. I've left a message.