• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Would glutathione help a PEM crash

Wishful

We're all so different that there's really no way to know what will or won't work for you other than by trying it. Things that work well for some people make me feel worse, and two things that worked really well for me haven't worked for anyone else. Cumin (cuminum cyminum) blocked my physically-induced PEM very effectively, and cured it entirely after taking it every 3 days for a year or two. I'm still waiting for it to work for someone else.

I haven't had an antioxidant reduce any of my ME symptoms, and many make me feel much worse.

Wishful

At first it simply blocked physically-induced PEM (I still had cerebrally-induced PEM). After a year or two, I tried going without cumin, to see if it was still being effective. Well, I've done lots of physical exertion since then, and never had PEM from it, so I think that counts as cured. I still have other ME symptoms such as mental lethargy, so my ME definitely isn't cured, but getting rid of PEM from physical activity sure is nice. :thumbsup:

See this thread for details: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/cumin-cuminum-cynimum-possible-pem-blocker.56232/

If you try it and it works for you, please let me know. It's hard to believe that I'm the only PWME that it would work on.

Wishful

What exactly is going on then, particularly in our brain? Is it just oxidative stress?

As for that question, I very much doubt that it's oxidative stress. I think it's some fairly simple imbalance in some process in brain cells, probably in a small specific part of our brains. Exactly what imbalance is something for the brain experts to figure out, and will probably require expensive lab work on live brains. :grumpy:

Aerose91

At first it simply blocked physically-induced PEM (I still had cerebrally-induced PEM). After a year or two, I tried going without cumin, to see if it was still being effective. Well, I've done lots of physical exertion since then, and never had PEM from it, so I think that counts as cured. I still have other ME symptoms such as mental lethargy, so my ME definitely isn't cured, but getting rid of PEM from physical activity sure is nice. :thumbsup:

See this thread for details: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/cumin-cuminum-cynimum-possible-pem-blocker.56232/

If you try it and it works for you, please let me know. It's hard to believe that I'm the only PWME that it would work on.
Thats amazing that something random like cumin worked so well. I'll check out that thread, thanks.

Hopeful2021

What exactly is going on then, particularly in our brain? Is it just oxidative stress? I have glutathione IV's I can give myself. I'm wondering if that may help
That's so amazing you can give yourself an IV. I've been doing IV therapy for months. And recently when I added IV glutathione, I can see my brain is better than ever. Even before this disease 10 years ago.
So my experience is that yes, glutathione really helps.
How long have you been taking good if I aThat's so amazing you can give yourself an IV. I've been doing IV therapy for months. And recently when I added IV glutathione, I can see my brain is better than ever. Even before this disease 10 years ago.
So my experience is that yes, glutathione really helps.
How long have you been taking glutathione?
I do it after NAD IV.

Aerose91

Yah the first one is a little nerve wracking but after that it's fine. It doesn't hurt that bad and you know what to expect. Saves a bunch of money doing them yourself, too.

Learner1

What exactly is going on then, particularly in our brain? Is it just oxidative stress? I have glutathione IV's I can give myself. I'm wondering if that may help
It definitely helps me. I've gotten between 1 and 4g IV and take 1.4g Setria glutathione orally daily. It reverses PEM within 30-40 minutes and if helps me avoid PEM in the first place.