• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Worried about my arms

Sarah94

I am a bit concerned about my arms. I spend the vast majority of my time with my arms bent (in order to use my phone - cos that's all I can do). I have recently heard about some people with very severe ME ending up with their arms permanently "contracted" (bent) due to them staying in that position without the muscles getting used. If I unbend my arms then they do straighten out, but not fully. I can try to exert my muscles to straighten them out, but it hurts and is tiring. Question is how much should I be concerned by this? Is there anything I should be doing about it?

Wolfcub

Frequent breaks, arm stretches, position changes. As much as you can easily manage without it causing problems for you.
Be aware of any neck strain or habitual bad position of your neck too.

Another idea is (if you can afford it) buy a laptop or tablet which you can use while seated in bed etc. It doesn't have to be a new one. I am still using a second hand laptop I bought in 2011 for £100. It played up somewhat this year and I thought it was on its last legs, but a £14 laptop cooler has given it a new lease of life ! :cool::D

Shoshana

Northern USA
Take breaks, to do relaxation with your arms? Very gentle stretches, not actual exercise. Small things do seem to make a difference to the body, I find.
Small slow movements, do matter.

I don't know that this is a concern, I am severe and have lots of difficulties, including with my arms, but have not had the specific one you mention here.
I do find it helps my arms , for me to pay close attention to trying to position my neck and back and shoulders, and arms, carefully, in as healthy positions as possible. As often as I am able to.

Rufous McKinney

Recently I did some very miniscule stretchs on the Yoga matt and was shocked at: the reduction in flexibility which has set in.

Message: just try to do a bit more of this stretching....even if its brief. And attending to position when we get ourselves somewhat lodged someplace, is also important. I can get spinal problems from simply 10 minutes sideways on the wrong pillow.