• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

World's strongest MRI investigates COVID and myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue impacts on the brain

BrightCandle

It was the first primary finding out of the outbreak in the 1950s at what is now called St Thomas' hospital where the medical staff there using XRays found the brain stem was inflamed, it is how the disease got the name Myalgic encephalomyelitis which basically means inflamed brainstem. This is a very old finding replicated. They have enhanced it with the information about myelination with the modern machinery and resolution but its a replication of one of the earliest medical findings about the disease.

junkcrap50

Is the 7T MRI available to the public?
I was going to say 7T is not available and only used for research, but it looks like it is available for clinical use https://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-...-pioneering-use-for-patient-care/MAC-20449573. But it's probably more expensive and used only when needed.

3T is available for patients, which is more sensitive than the commonly available 1.5T or less T. Perhaps 3T would be enough to see an enlarged brain stem.

Looks like there's even a 10.5T now (from 2018): https://research.umn.edu/inquiry/post/u-scientists-scan-worlds-first-105-tesla-human-mri-image

Rufous McKinney

Is it enlarged brainstem

curious you opinion....?

I was thinking the lower brain stem may be enlarged or exhibit high volume due to the brain dropping...(is that the word I'm looking for?)

like with Chiari, the brain stem has dropped.."forcing it downwards"

could something related to that, be why the volume is higher than controls?