• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Wiltshire Times, UK) "Bradford on Avon and Stavertion pals saddle up for charity bid

Dolphin

Well done and thanks to these two

http://tinyurl.com/3ydhv52 i.e.
http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/new...nd_Stavertion_pals_saddle_up_for_charity_bid/

Bradford on Avon and Stavertion pals saddle up for charity bid

9:00am Monday 24th May 2010

Comments(0) By Will Frampton

A Bradford on Avon man moved by his fiances struggle with ME is to undertake a 900-mile charity cycle ride from Lands End to John OGroats next month.

Martin Harvey, 26, of Fitzmaurice Close, and old school friends Simeon Holmes, of Bradford, and Ben Lumley, of Staverton, will cycle in aid of ME Research UK and the Friends of Bristol Haematology and Oncology Centre.

Mr Harveys fiance, Melanie Tucker, 25, from Nailsea, has suffered with ME (chronic fatigue syndrome) for two-and-a-half years, and has been forced to give up her job in civil engineering.

Mr Harvey said: Simeon and I cycled the route about seven or eight years ago for cancer research, and because of Melanies situation we wanted to raise money for research into ME.

It is a relatively unknown illness, and no-one is sure why people get it, or how to cure it. Melanie got the flu about two-and-a-half years ago and it developed after that.

She cant work at the moment, she cant drive and has a wheelchair, and crutches to get about the house.

She is at a stage now when she is not getting any worse, but it is not looking like she is getting any better. We have tried everything, including alternative treatments like massage and hypnotherapy.

Ben, Simeon and I want to do our bit towards helping. Im sure the ride is going to be a challenge, but we are very much looking forward to it.

They will begin their journey from Lands End in Cornwall on June 11 and are aiming to reach John OGroats, famous as mainland Britains most northerly point, by June 19.

Mr Harvey said: We have been training by cycling long journeys. Last weekend we did a 60-mile ride, and this weekend we are hoping to cycle 80 miles, building up until we can do 100 miles a day.

We are really grateful to everyone who is helping to make it possible, and to everyone who has sponsored us so far.

Mr Harvey has so far raised 1,300 towards his target of 2,000. To donate visit www.justgiving.com/sponsormeforme or www.justgiving.com/ben-lumley.

S

sunlady

Well done for helping to raise awareness of ME. How wonderful to have the energy to do the cycle trip. I hope that you raise loads of money for your cause.

Dolphin

Well done for helping to raise awareness of ME. How wonderful to have the energy to do the cycle trip. I hope that you raise loads of money for your cause.
Perhaps you put that as a comment on the newspaper site as they might not see it here. Just an idea.