• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why would X-ray cause improvement?

Cheryl M

Hello. I have ME and hypermobility. Last year I had a foot X-ray in case there was a break (it was actually synovitis). I had a mini-remission after this, a feeling of wellbeing that lasted about a week. Is there any reason why X-rays would benefit your health?

Hip

That's an odd one! Were there any other factors (medications, etc) that might explain the temporary remission?

According to this guide, the amount of radiation you are exposed to from a foot Xray is very small (just 0.001 mSv), and you would get the same amount of radiation in just 3 hours from natural background radiation. In other words, you are naturally exposed this amount of radiation daily. So it seems unlikely that the foot Xray could be the cause of the remission.

Last edited:

Cheryl M

Well, the cottage hospital was in the national park, so I got to have a day out of the building I live in, in beautiful surroundings, with some fresh air to breathe. The appearance of medical care always makes me feel better because it gives the impression doctors are going to start dealing with my health issues. I got to see and talk to other people too. So now that you mention it, there are plenty of other factors. It's just a pity they don't produce respites reliably....

Wolfcub

@Cheryl M ...I was wondering, because your foot had been hurting, therefore the x-ray, that might have meant you had been getting extra physical rest?

Cheryl M

@Wolfcub Unfortunately not. Just in pain a lot and under a lot of stress ("I don't see why I should have to drive you to hospital just because your foot might be broken", etc). Perhaps it really was just getting outdoors.

Wolfcub

I had a CT scan November 2018 which in itself was a quick, not unpleasant experience.
But I remember really crashing after it for about 4 days, with one of the typical crash symptoms for me -feeling like I was coming down with flu. It wasn't flu, just a thing I get when I crash.

I don't know if it was the radiation (approx. 10x a dental x-ray) that caused the crash...or the stress of getting very little sleep, having to get up too early, and get going, and the foul weather conditions for driving the 50 mile round trip.

Cheryl M

Yeah, that sounds as if it might well be exhaustion from the demanding journey. I hate it when they give us really early appointments; I was once given an ME appt at 8:30am at a hospital 80 miles away. (Should have stayed overnight near the hospital, I now realise.)

xebex

could have been the trauma to your foot that caused adrenaline and/or immune system to kick in which made you feel better, I just recently had a period of several days improvement after fainting, albiet i had to go into hospital for fluid replacement, it was kind of awkward explaining how severe my ME can be, being dehydrated and low in phosphorus but at the same time feeling more energetic than usual! I have had other periods of improvement when i catch a cold - its like it jolts one of our many systems that aren't working properly into working a bit better - maybe temporarily, maybe, hopefully, permanently!

xebex

ah if only it were that simple! i've also had periods of getting worse after physical trauma too, this disease is so frustrating!