• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why infections become worse when you hit them

leaves

It is mysterious...

When I started acyclovir, I got a flu, after a few days it went away and I felt better afterwards. Thereafter I got the shingles. Now on LDN I get big neck cramps suggesting some sort of viral brain infection flaring up. I could give many more examples both from my own experience and from other people's stories: when you hit em, infections seem to become worse initially.

Why is this?

My theory is that these infections are lingering in the background and then when your immune system picks up, then it starts fighting them and the symptoms that are common for these infections (when you have a functioning immune system) become apparent. So its not actually flaring up of the infection, but of the immune system.

Any other suggestions?

And what to do when these symptoms flare up?

My intuition is too stick to your treatment, as your system is now trying to get rid of the infection,as a normal healthy person would do

Whats your take on this?

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
When I asked my CFS doctor about why antivirals are not used, she said most of the time after you stop, the flare-ups are very bad. She likes to help her patients fight without the meds. Maitake Mushroom drops are one of her favorites. Other things too of course.

alice1

it's like taking a homeopathy remedy,at first you feel like crap because your system is starting to fight then at some point you get over that hill.
i hate climbing those.