• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Whole genome done - now what?

Learner1

I apologize if I missed this in the thread (or elsewhere) but how did you learn to interpret your genetic results?
I ran mine through Genetic Genie and some came back as yellow & one red, but I don't know what to do with that other than take methylated b vitamins. Thanks.
Genes can create tendencies, but other genes may affect each of us too. My genes indicate I may need methyl B vitamins but I also do comprehensive nutrient testing too. Likewise, I need to keep watching my iron levels to determine what to do about my hemochromatosis..

Other genes are pretty specific, some controlling a specific enzyme, which if it doesn't work, can create significant illness. Mainly, genetic counselors in hospitals help with these.

For others, there are nutrigenomics experts. Or, you can look up genes and single nucleotide polymorphisms on SNPedia or just by Googling.

Genes can create tendencies, but other genes may affect each of us too. My genes indicate I may need methyl B vitamins but I also do comprehensive nutrient testing too. Likewise, I need to keep watching my iron levels to determine what to do about my hemochromatosis..

Other genes are pretty specific, some controlling a specific enzyme, which if it doesn't work, can create significant illness. Mainly, genetic counselors in hospitals help with these.

For others, there are nutrigenomics experts. Or, you can look up genes and single nucleotide polymorphisms on SNPedia or just by Googling.

Thank you! I will try to look them up myself. If I can't make any sense of it, I'll try to find a genetic counselor or nutrigenomics expert.