• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Whole-Body Vibration Training on Oxidative Stress Markers, Irisin Levels, and Body Composition in Women with Fibromyalgi... (dos Santos et al, 2023)

Whole-Body Vibration Training on Oxidative Stress Markers, Irisin Levels, and Body Composition in Women with Fibromyalgia: A Randomized Controlled Trial

Abstract

(1) Background: Mitochondrial dysfunction and redox imbalance seem to be involved in fibromyalgia (FM) pathogenesis. The results of our previous studies suggest that whole-body vibration training (WBVT) would improve redox status markers, increase blood irisin levels, and ameliorate the body composition of women with FM. (2) Objective: The current study aimed to investigate WBVT on oxidative stress markers, plasma irisin levels, and body composition in women with FM. (3) Methods: Forty women with FM were randomized into WBVT or untrained (UN) groups. Before and after 6 weeks of WBVT, body composition was assessed by dual-energy radiological absorptiometry (DXA), and inflammatory marker activities were measured by enzymatic assay. (4) Results: Body composition, blood irisin levels, and oxidative stress markers were similar between UN and WBVT groups before the intervention. After 6 weeks of intervention, the WBVT group presented higher irisin levels (WBVT: 316.98 ± 109.24 mg·dL³, WBVT: 477.61 ± 267.92 mg·dL³, p = 0.01) and lower TBARS levels (UN: 0.39 ± 0.02 nmol MDA/mg protein, WBVT: 0.24 ± 0.06 nmol MDA/mg protein, p = 0.001) and visceral adipose tissue mass (UN: 1.37 ± 0.49 kg, WBVT: 0.69 ± 0.54 kg, p = 0.001) compared to the UN group. (5) Conclusions: Six weeks of WBVT improves blood redox status markers, increases irisin levels, and reduces visceral adipose tissue mass, favoring less cell damage and more outstanding oxidative balance in women with FM.

https://www.mdpi.com/2306-5354/10/2/260

Rufous McKinney

Conclusions: Six weeks of WBVT improves blood redox status markers, increases irisin levels, and reduces visceral adipose tissue mass, favoring less cell damage and more outstanding oxidative balance in women with FM.

But none of this can be tolerated in a patient like me.

The current study aimed to investigate WBVT on oxidative stress markers, plasma irisin levels, and body composition in women with FM.

I had an opportunity to use one of these types of machines. Everybody just loves this machine. They'd stand in lines to get on it for twenty minutes sessions.

Two minutes of it makes me get very sick followed by serious PEM.

I guess these Fibro patients do not have PEM.

Or they did not measure PEM as thats not included in objectives.

Its the same as: massage, acupuncture, anything that moves lymph and the body releases the poisons that make us get sicker.

Maybe there is someplace out there when this stops happening but I have yet to find it.

I got reminded of Alain Moreau that has some sort of vibration device that he uses to induce PEM in his patients.

I speculate that these type of observations point in the direction of TRP3 ion channels being the problem in mecfs. They are threat receptors that respond to a number of things including vibrations.

I tend to get messed up when people are using high pressure washers which i think is causing small vibrations in the air.

Rufous McKinney

TRP3 ion channels being the problem in mecfs.

yes, and I also have looked into some theories on how acupuncture may stimulate those very channels.

A normal acupuncture treatment somebody else might go receive, I cannot tolerate.

I get very small treatments, with only a few needles and never longer than 15 minutes.

I had a bizarre reaction on the top of my head once, that location is RESTRICTED AIR SPACE. No needles allowed there.

Ever.

kangaSue

The good news is that you don't need a vigorous whole body vibration work-out to achieve a therapeutic effect in Fibromyalgia, just gentle vibrations will do the trick too.
The bad news is that you can't buy the vibration mattress apparatus which was used in this study to demonstrate the beneficial effect;

https://arthritis-research.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13075-019-1932-9
Testing the effects of gentle vibrotactile stimulation on symptom relief in fibromyalgia.

[ Conclusion; Results thus provide new evidence that non-nociceptive somatosensory stimulation may favorably act upon altered somatosensory balance in fibromyalgia. From a clinical perspective, both the degree of improvement and the easy application of our proposal would seem to support a potential role for vibrotactile stimulation in the symptomatic treatment of fibromyalgia. ]

Mary

Moderator Resource
But none of this can be tolerated in a patient like me.
I had an opportunity to use one of these types of machines. Everybody just loves this machine. They'd stand in lines to get on it for twenty minutes sessions.

I'm the same as you! I used one at my chiro's office for 20 minutes. I thought I tolerated it just fine at the time but like clockwork, PEM hit the next day. I was very disappointed because I thought I had found an easy way to get some exercise and toning without exerting energy :depressed:

Rufous McKinney

I thought I had found an easy way to get some exercise and toning without exerting energy :depressed:

Probably we'd have to just do.....oh thirty second treatments.

Recall the little trampoline alot of people got. Oh yeah we can leap on the trampoline for: 2 seconds.