• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who Would Like to Participate in a Simple Study to Measure Blood Lactate Levels?

pattismith

yes, I think it is not a problem, the goal is to take a meal enriched in proteins and carbohydrates,
with 1gr per kilo each (50g proteins /50kg + 50g carbohydrates/50 kg);)

Last edited:

Runner5

This is really interesting. I'm a runner and it would be interesting to see what happens and if I fall within normal, high or low ranges. I do have a lot of trouble recovering from exercises I'm unused to doing like Crossfit, HIIT -- I can't just pick up something I'm not used to doing or I get very sick, but I do recovery fairly well from running -- BUT -- like a lot of people who enjoy a sport for awhile I have a few tricks ;-P Sport drink and honey stingers for long distances and a recovery shake afterward. I am also very peculiar about what I eat. Hmm, neat.

pattismith

Ok, I did the effort L lactates test, in the morning, no eating before.
My effort was Climbing and descending a staircase for 1mn45 (couldn't do more as my thighs were burning)

1.5 mmol/l before exercise
3.6 mmol/l 5 mn after exercise
3.4mmol/l 30 mn after exercise

Thighs were still burning a ffew hours after that!

Random day below within normal range results will need to change machine calibration if we're all doing mmol/l?).

Fasting Lactate (12hrs+):= 9 mg/dl (1 mmol/l)
After small meal (4hrs) = 11 mg/dl.(1.2 mmol/l)

The results sound normal, but Lactates should be tested 90 mn after the food intake to really know the peak

Last edited:
I think I'm getting a handle on the symptoms I have when blood lactate is elevated. Basically it's a nauseated/poisoned feeling, similar to motion sickness without the motion. So a brain-based nausea, with no real stomach involvement. Trying to do much cognitively makes the nausea worse. A little bid of headache pain, mostly from thinking, but not what I'd consider a proper headache yet.

It also seems to come after too much exertion much earlier in the day, so far about 3-6 hours afterward. So maybe it's in that period between over-exertion and the start of a proper crash. Or maybe it's occurring even if I don't progress to a crash.

gregh286

I think I'm getting a handle on the symptoms I have when blood lactate is elevated. Basically it's a nauseated/poisoned feeling, similar to motion sickness without the motion. So a brain-based nausea, with no real stomach involvement. Trying to do much cognitively makes the nausea worse. A little bid of headache pain, mostly from thinking, but not what I'd consider a proper headache yet.

It also seems to come after too much exertion much earlier in the day, so far about 3-6 hours afterward. So maybe it's in that period between over-exertion and the start of a proper crash. Or maybe it's occurring even if I don't progress to a crash.

Yeah feels like a poisoning.
Sauna or.hot bath class to alleviate it if you can tolerate them.