• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which supplement most likely to have caused my grogginess?

Sarah94

Last night, I took 450mg lemon balm (melissa leaf) and 250mg inositol. First time I'd taken either of these. Was hoping they'd help me to stay asleep.

Well I slept for an alright amount of time, but am pretty groggy (sleepy but not enough to fall asleep) today, which is quite unusual for me, so I'm assuming one of the new supplements caused it.

Which do you reckon is the more likely culprit?

Wolfcub

I have never taken lemon balm as any kind of supplement (tablet?), only drunk it occasionally as a tea, in which case I'd use about 1 teaspoon of dried herb or 2 of the chopped fresh herb. It is quite gently calming but I can imagine at higher doses it could have a more powerful effect.
I tried it once as an anti inflammatory mixed with a few other herbs -just to make a tea. I was experimenting with anti-inflammatories.
But I did notice my symptoms and exhaustion were not helped by that mix. I don't know if it was the lemon balm or one of the others, but I felt no improvement on it and a little bit "draggy" too.

I like it as a refreshing tea in summer maybe with elderflowers or mint, but that's about it.