• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which Covid vaccine are we supposed to get?

sometexan84

Hi all, guess it's time for me to go ahead and get the vaccine, but I haven't researched it much, so I need some help.

Which vaccine are we supposed to be getting? Like, which one are they saying is best for us w/ ME/CFS?

I guess there's a PR Rule now about Covid Vaccine related discussions.

So, I guess just tell me about your own experience, what you've heard from others w/ ME/CFS, etc. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Just keep it "light", I think is the gist of the rule, ya know, no politics.

TiredBill

I can't speak to which vaccine is most easily tolerated by pwME/CFS, but at this moment the Moderna vaccine appears to be the most effective against Delta according to the recent study by the Mayo Clinic (still at 76% effective at preventing a breakthrough infection vs Pfizer vaccine at 42%) as they wane over time.

All the vaccines seem to remain effective against hospitalization and death.

I've had 3 rounds of Moderna (with a "booster" a week ago) w/o issues outside a sore arm and a tired "day after," but N=1.

My "reaction" to the Moderna vaccine was no different than what my wife and son had with Pfizer. Very typical.

Glad to read that you've decided it's time. Delta is raging and it will be hard to escape exposure.

Bill

YippeeKi YOW !!

Just keep it "light", I think is the gist of the rule, ya know, no politics.
Yeah, we're all clued ..... and if not, we're all quickly reminded by the mods ...

As of yesterday, the CDC or one of them gov't thingies has officially approved the Pfizer shot, and for waht i's worth, it's the one my husband, DB, got, with no ill-effects at all after the first one, and only very mild, almost negligble, fluish feelings the day after the second one.

YippeeKi YOW !!

but at this moment the Moderna vaccine appears to be the most effective against Delta according to the recent study by the Mayo Clinic
The Mayo's been wrong before. Usually when they're in bed with one or another Pharma company ....

There are more and more alarms being raised about a particularly unpleasant and potentially deadly form of heart inflammation that's been traced directly to the Moderna shot .... it seems to mostly effect younger patients, but lately that's apparently been changing ....

So everyone needs to do their homework, and not rely entirely on anecdotal reports even from our own community. Tho I would pace more stock in those than random others ....

sometexan84

There are more and more alarms being raised about a particularly unpleasant and potentially deadly form of heart inflammation that's been traced directly to the Moderna shot .... it seems to mostly effect younger patients, but lately that's apparently been changing ....
Yea, the Myocarditis concerned me a little... since that and Dilated Cardiomyopathy are so strongly linked to the RNA viruses like Enterovirus.

TiredBill

The Mayo's been wrong before. Usually when they're in bed with one or another Pharma company ....

So everyone needs to do their homework, and not rely entirely on anecdotal reports even from our own community. Tho I would pace more stock in those than random others ....

FDA is investigating myocarditis as a possible side effect in mRNA vaccines and, out of caution, has placed a warning on both Moderna and Pfizer vaccines.

That said, developing myocarditis after vaccination is extremely rare (just under 1 case per 100,000) and the condition is generally self-resolving without any lasting complications. Further there is no causative link that's been established thus far.

I'm not aware that Mayo has a financial stake in Pfizer or Moderna or that they stand to gain by manipulating their studies.

Further studies may provide different data, but at this juncture Mayo's study shows Moderna as being most effective against Delta--and by a considerable margin.

The benefits of a vaccine far (far) outweigh the risks.

Bill

Last edited:

L'engle

moogle
My entire town practically had Moderna and we haven't had very many cases, though we hadn't been hit badly yet anyway. PWME seem to have more trouble with AstraZeneca on average. I felt sick after my second moderna shot but was ok again (or back to usual rather) a week later.

PfizerBiontech or Moderna should be perfectly good. Outlying areas are more likely have moderna due to it being easier to store for longer. I'm not a big truster of big pharma myself but in this case it's an 'avoiding the worst' scenario, which may be a different decision for each individual.

This delta variant is scary, and most people in my town have stopped wearing masks, seeming to be complacent. I will probably get a third shot as soon as it is offered, probably in the winter.

Mouse girl

I got moderna. I've heard the same thing that moderna is as they know for now, with current data (that changes as more studies and time go by) is the best for delta but phizer is good too.

my friend who works in a hospital said that the heart thing from moderna is less than one in a million. she and her daughters have a heart condition and two of them got moderna with no issues. you have to do what is best for you. not sure you always have a choice between moderna or phizer, both are good. i figure for me, the vaccine was worth the risk compared to covid.

TiredBill

Getting first Moderna tomorrow!

Been taking antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, and immune support supplements in prep. I also heard antihistamines (Benadryl) is a good idea before, and then several days after, so I'm going to do that as well.

Wonderful news!

Also hydrate well. Moving the injected arm frequently post vaccination is also recommended to mitigate soreness.

Most people (normals) have less day-after tiredness with the first dose (vs the second). That was true in my case.

Best wishes tomorrow.

Bill

YippeeKi YOW !!

I'm not aware that Mayo has a financial stake in Pfizer or Moderna or that they stand to gain by manipulating their studies.
They dont come in clearly labeled packages, but often as well-funded research and studies that Mayo may have expressed an interest in doing, or equally well-funded speaking engagements for heads of depts or hospital admins.
Most people (normals) have less day-after tiredness with the first dose (vs the second).
I'm not a big fan of the term 'normals' or 'normies' for non-ME populations. For one thing, it labels us as abnormals, something Drs are already too willing to do, and for another, it feels a little dismissive to those labeled, whichever side they fall on. What's wrong with just saying "non-ME"?

Just my own weirdness, but there it is ...

TiredBill

They dont come in clearly labeled packages, but often as well-funded research and studies that Mayo may have expressed an interest in doing, or equally well-funded speaking engagements for heads of depts or hospital admins.

I'm not a big fan of the term 'normals' or 'normies' for non-ME populations. For one thing, it labels us as abnormals, something Drs are already too willing to do, and for another, it feels a little dismissive to those labeled, whichever side they fall on. What's wrong with just saying "non-ME"?

Just my own weirdness, but there it is ...

I don't share your seeming skepticism about the Mayo Clinic. I think they are a highly trustworthy source of medical information and don't think they deserve to be accused of self-dealing without evidence.

As a person with ME/CFS, I'm certainly not "dismissive" of anyone with our condition and am not a fan of inferences to the contrary.

Bill

Learner1

I don't share your seeming skepticism about the Mayo Clinic. I think they are a highly trustworthy source of medical information and don't think they deserve to be accused of self-dealing without evidence.
Mayo has a long track record of badly treating ME/CFS patients, offering psychiatric "care" instead of true medical care, a marked departure from their normally excellent care for other illnesses. Do a search on this forum for Mayo if you need more info....

TiredBill

Mayo has a long track record of badly treating ME/CFS patients, offering psychiatric "care" instead of true medical care, a marked departure from their normally excellent care for other illnesses. Do a search on this forum for Mayo if you need more info....

Searching the forum would reveal a long record of pwME/CFS not getting very good treatment anywhere, including (but not limited to) outstanding medical centers like the Mayo Clinic.

We've not done so well with doctors who some see as "gurus," or YouTube authorities, or self-appointed internet experts who promote preposterous "cures" that have no basis in science. We have not been well served generally speaking.

I see no cause to question the ethics of the Mayo Clinic when it comes to their running Covid vaccine studies.

Bill

YippeeKi YOW !!

I see no cause to question the ethics of the Mayo Clinic when it comes to their running Covid vaccine studies.
One of the many interesting aspects of studies and research done by Mayo is that it's virtually impossible to get actual details, like the size of the study population, what the controls consisted of, any conflicts of interest, who conducted the study within the Mayo Clinic, how the study was funded.

It's a closed loop. An impenetrable wall. Information on any of the above subjects, when offered at all and clicked on, almost invariably seem to lead to the umbrella answer, which is the address of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. MN.

This is unusual.

We've not done so well with doctors who some see as "gurus," or YouTube authorities, or self-appointed internet experts who promote preposterous "cures" that have no basis in science. We have not been well served generally speaking.
And one of the reasons for that is the dismissal of ME patients as 'head cases', which is all the sharks and slimy snake oil salesmen and 'gurus' need to set up their tents and start hawking dubious cures to desperate, hurting patients.

sometexan84

I'll def post results. I actually missed my apt today, slept through it

I think it's from a herx reaction from restarting N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC), one of the supplements I restarted in preparation for the vaccine. I had a small herx after I started it the first time too