• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where can I buy oral cromolyn?

tyson oberle

I wanted to try cromolyn orally so I had my doctor prescribe it. I went to my local pharmacy with the prescription, but the pharmacist told me that cromolyn is not available in pills but only available in a nasal spray. I live in the United States in Tampa, Florida. So where can I get cromolyn pills from?

junkcrap50

I'm not sure about pills. But I get oral cromolyn in a liquid form that you squirt into a glass of water. It's form is called "Oral Concentrate" and comes in plastic ampules. CVS had no trouble filling the Rx for me, but I think there was a couple day delay to order it since they don't carry it as inventory in the store.

These pics are what my package and plastic ampule look like:
1557684631160.png

Attachments

• 1557684738248.png
    1557684738248.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

StarChild56

My CVS doesn't carry it, but my health insurance has a specialty mail order pharmacy that fills it for me, and it is just like PP above. It helps me tremendously.

tyson oberle

I'm not sure about pills. But I get oral cromolyn in a liquid form that you squirt into a glass of water. It's form is called "Oral Concentrate" and comes in plastic ampules. CVS had no trouble filling the Rx for me, but I think there was a couple day delay to order it since they don't carry it as inventory in the store.

These pics are what my package and plastic ampule look like:
View attachment 32652
Thanks junkcrap50,
What should I get my doctor to prescribe for me? How much and when should I take it? And what about all the literature out there that state that quercetin works better than cromolyn?

junkcrap50

Thanks junkcrap50,
What should I get my doctor to prescribe for me? How much and when should I take it? And what about all the literature out there that state that quercetin works better than cromolyn?
Well, the oral cromolyn does not work systemically, I believe. It only works on the GI, which can still be a major source of mast cell reaction & inflammation (as there are a lot of mast cells in the gut). But it is unlikely to open your nose up if you have mast cell reaction in your nose (ie stuffy nose, trouble breathing through it, etc). So, if you have MCAS + nose issues, you'd need nasal cromolyn. Same with eyes - cromolyn eye drops. Etc. I still think it's worth trying regardless as MCAS treatment is kind of trying a whole bunch of things and finding what works for you. But if you have a lot of mast cell reactions during/after eating, the oral cromolyn will likely help a lot. For example, it has cured my parent's 5 year IBS-D. In my other parent, while eating, he/she no longer starts sweating profusely, gets very red in the face and neck, and feels overall better. If my parent with IBS-D doesn't take the oral cromolyn far enough before meals/dinner, it doesn't work.

I believe the drug info included in my oral cromolyn recommends 4 ampules up to 3x/day, 30 mins before meals, on empty stomach. You can start with taking less say 2 ampules before meals, and build up to 4. Also, I think it's okay to take more than 4 ampules at a time, but I'd double check online the max doses. So I would have the doctor write a script for that: "Cromolyn Sodium, Oral Solution Concentrate, 4 ampules, TID, taken in water, taken 30 minutes before meals."

As for the literature and Quercetin, I don't know. That may work more systemically than locally in the gut. I've gotten tired of trying only supplements for many other things and not seeing results. I would rather try the more powerful prescription drugs. But if you have confirmed MCAS, I'd take all / as many things as I could for it, including the Quercetin. But my parent(s) and I do take PEA (Palmitoylethanolamide) for MCAS, which is a supplement, and I think it works a bit. I would also recommend trying Ketotifin, a mast cell stabilizer, which is very helpful and a "game-changer" for many people.

I have very mild MCAS. I didn't see any benefit from 3 months of oral cromolyn, so I stopped it. My left over medications my parents tried and had success. But I take Ketotifin and PEA. I still treat it as mast cells can drive overall inflammation, and I have wide spread inflammation that I've been tring to reduce.

valentinelynx

My Rx started at 2 ampules three times per day with meals and at bedtime (total of 4 times per day). Increased gradually to 4 ampules per dose (still 3 times per day with meals, and at bedtime). I believe the 4 doses per day is the standard, with 2 amps per dose (that's why there are 8 ampules in each foil packet).

Because oral cromolyn sodium (generic Gastrocrom) is expensive, chances are your insurance with require prior authorization for the prescription.