• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What's Your Heart rate? (for those who don't take heart meds)

2Cor.12:19

I've just come off of beta blockers after 20 years. After being diagnosed and successfully treated for sleep apnea using CPAP, my blood pressure became too low. (Yes, sleep apnea CAN cause high BP, among other things).

Now that I'm off the BB my blood pressure is great, BUT my HR runs high. Resting 70-90 - and not resting can run over 131 just doing simple chores around the house or getting stressed about something. It doesn't spike more than 30 pts just by standing, so don't think it's POTS, though I was previously dx'd with POTS before my BP normalized.

There's an interesting article here about ME/CFS HR's being high https://www.healthrising.org/blog/tag/heart/

I'm interested to hear what the heart rates are for those of you who aren't on heart meds. Also age factors in. I'm 68.

Thanks!

Moof

My pulse always been a bit on the low side, RHR currently averaging around 57 and dropping below 50 during sleep.

I also have slightly low blood pressure. Difficult to work out an average, as it's so variable, but something around 90/65 would be pretty typical on a day when it's neither very hot nor very cold. I only get symptoms in hot weather, when it drops silly low.

I'm 60, by the way, and have never taken heart or BP meds.

2Cor.12:19

My pulse always been a bit on the low side, RHR currently averaging around 57 and dropping below 50 during sleep.

I also have slightly low blood pressure. Difficult to work out an average, as it's so variable, but something around 90/65 would be pretty typical on a day when it's neither very hot nor very cold. I only get symptoms in hot weather, when it drops silly low.

I'm 60, by the way, and have never taken heart or BP meds.

@Moof Thanks . Your BP sounds pretty good to me. My cardiologist says it’s not unusual for HR to drop to 40 while sleeping. Thank goodness you don’t need BP meds- they sometimes create their own set of problems.

You probably already know that most of us have low blood volume- staying well hydrated throughout the day helps a lot. When my BP ran low it was usually in late morning after drinking coffee and forgetting to keep up with the water

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Average HR when resting: 55
HR when upright is around 60-65 and gradually climbs the longer I'm upright because my pulse pressure (systolic minus diastolic) becomes increasingly narrower. Still, it remains under 80-90 even if I push it and try to stay upright (really bad idea).

I can't do much for exercise except walk around my house in short segments. I've tested my HR a few times by pacing quickly back and forth and found that my BP dropped instead of increasing. This weird effect has been noticed in some PWME.

My BP averages 75-80/50 when lying down but sometimes it goes lower. When upright, while wearing compression socks, it's around 85/55 or 90/60 but narrows, as I've mentioned, the longer I'm upright. The diastolic value creeps upward and so does my heart rate. I start to feel wobbly and cold when it gets around 15 pulse pressure; people tend to pass out around 10-12 pulse pressure.

Edit: I originally said that I'm 45 but was reminded by a friend that I'm 46. :headslap: :rolleyes:
Edit2: I'm not 46, I'm actually 47. I figured it out with a calculator this time. Brainfog does weird things to my memory and math abilities.

Last edited:

Remi

Age 48 RHR 64, but can go a lot lower sometimes. When moving limbs it's about 90-130, but sitting or standing still brings it back to normal. So no OI, but can go too high when put sweater on sitting on the couch.

Moof

@Moof Thanks . Your BP sounds pretty good to me.

It's absolutely fine now for 90% of the time (the weather doesn't often stay hot for sustained periods in the UK), but perhaps I should have added that I eat lots of salt, wear compression stockings, and keep hydrated. Before I adopted those strategies, I had symptomatic low blood pressure much more often.

Does anyone else find it annoying to be congratulated repeatedly on having super-healthy blood pressure, RHR, and assumed VO2 max by doctors? As if it's well worth having ME to keep your cardiac indicators at the levels of a 25-year-old! :rofl:

GlassHouse

I’m 29 and my resting heart rate is usually 50 (40-60 bpm). Standing in the morning it’s 130-150 and in the evening it’s 80 standing. I’ve never been able to figure out why the POTS gets better at night.

With exercise/ exertion it’s 210 bpm. And when I’m sleeping it’s in the 30s.

My blood pressure does rise when I stand but it will suddenly drop and then try to rise again and then drop. It seems unstable.

My tilt table test showed hyperadrenergic POTS but my BP is 90/40 when sitting in the mornings sometimes. That TTT was in the late afternoon so I wonder if it would have been different in the morning.

I’ve also measured my blood pressure and had it show very low pulse pressure, like 93/81.

junkcrap50

About 77-80 at doctors offices. But I"m going to get a fitbit to track my heart rates more closely.

manasi12

I’m 29 and my resting heart rate is usually 50 (40-60 bpm). Standing in the morning it’s 130-150 and in the evening it’s 80 standing. I’ve never been able to figure out why the POTS gets better at night.

With exercise/ exertion it’s 210 bpm. And when I’m sleeping it’s in the 30s.

My blood pressure does rise when I stand but it will suddenly drop and then try to rise again and then drop. It seems unstable.

My tilt table test showed hyperadrenergic POTS but my BP is 90/40 when sitting in the mornings sometimes. That TTT was in the late afternoon so I wonder if it would have been different in the morning.

I’ve also measured my blood pressure and had it show very low pulse pressure, like 93/81.
Blood volume is generally low in morning, so POTS is worse. It increases through out the day after eating and drinking, so POTS gets better.