• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What’s Up With Ivermectin?

Hip

There are over 2 dozen studies this year showing the potent anti viral properties of Ivermectin. The link below lists many of the clinical trials and articles on Ivermectin:
https://covid.us.org/ivermectin/

That's a good list.

However, out of that list of studies, I could only find one clinical study which demonstrated ivermectin has benefit for COVID, which is this study:

Use of Ivermectin Is Associated With Lower Mortality in Hospitalized Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 - CHEST

In the study, COVID patients received a single dose of around 15 mg ivermectin. Mortality was 13% in the ivermectin group, and 25% in the non-ivermectin patients.

That certainly is very interesting, and should be pursued. But it does not demonstrate ivermectin has antiviral effects against coronavirus; ivermectin could also work as an immunomodulator to fight viruses.

The in vitro studies in your list showing potent antiviral effects for ivermectin do not count, for the reasons explained about (basically, you cannot achieve in vivo the same high concentrations of ivermectin which were used in vitro).

Last edited:

leokitten

What daily dosage are they taking? From what I read in the literature, to achieve the required plasma concentration found to have in vitro effects you would have to take something like 28 - 36 mg / day depending on your weight?

Pyrrhus

I don't think this pre-print from July 2020 has been mentioned yet:

POST-ACUTE OR PROLONGED COVID-19: TREATMENT WITH
IVERMECTIN FOR PATIENTS WITH PERSISTENT, OR POST-ACUTE
SYMPTOMS

https://www.researchgate.net/public...TIENTS_WITH_PERSISTENT_SYMPTOMS_OR_POST-ACUTE
Excerpt:
Aguirre-Chang et al 2020 said:
INTRODUCTION: It is estimated that between 10 to 45% of people who become ill with
COVID-19 will present with symptoms after the acute stage of the disease. These
symptoms will persist for weeks, developing what is called Persistent or Post-Acute
Symptoms of COVID- 19. There is no consensus, nor has there been a publication on
specific and effective treatment for these cases. Knowledge is quite lacking as to its
etiopathogenesis.

MATERIAL AND METHODS: 33 patients with Persistent or Post-Acute Symptoms of
COVID-19, who were between weeks 4 and 12 from the onset of symptoms were enrolled
in the present study. Patients whose main symptoms were musculoskeletal such as
fatigue due to muscle weakness, diminished muscle strength and myalgia (muscle pain)
were excluded. The following protocol was followed: in cases with mild symptoms,
Ivermectin was administered at a dose of 0.2 mg per kilogram of body weight per day for
2 days. If patients still had symptoms after the 2 doses, 2 additional days of Ivermectin
treatment were given at the same dose. For cases with moderate symptoms, a dose of
0.4 mg per kilogram of body weight was prescribed for 2 days, followed by 0.2 mg per
kilogram of body weight for 2 additional days. If a patient continued to have symptoms
after the fourth day of treatment, more doses of Ivermectin were indicated. Treatment
then continued for additional days until either clinical improvement was observed, or there
was no longer further clinical improvement with treatment.

RESULTS: 33 adult patients with Persistent or Post-Acute Symptoms of COVID-19 were
treated with Ivermectin. In 94% of the 33 patients, clinical improvement to some degree
(partial or total) was observed after 2 doses of Ivermectin. Total improvement (without
any symptoms) was observed in 87.9% of the patients after the 2 daily doses of
Ivermectin. In 12.1% of patients whose symptoms had not been completely resolved after
the first 2 doses, additional doses of Ivermectin treatment were administered according
to the protocol, and total clinical resolution of symptoms was observed in 94% of cases.

CONCLUSION: The result of the present study demonstrates that clinical improvement
is observed in high percentage of patients with Persistent or Post-Acute Symptoms of
COVID-19 who are treated with Ivermectin.
Given the high number of patients with Persistent Symptoms and a favorable clinical
response seen after receiving this specific treatment, we recommend that additional
clinical studies be carried out on the use of Ivermectin and other drugs to reduce and
eliminate the viral load in these cases.

That's a good list.

However, out of that list of studies, I could only find one clinical study which demonstrated ivermectin has benefit for COVID, which is this study:

Use of Ivermectin Is Associated With Lower Mortality in Hospitalized Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 - CHEST

In the study, COVID patients received a single dose of around 15 mg ivermectin. Mortality was 13% in the ivermectin group, and 25% in the non-ivermectin patients.

That certainly is very interesting, and should be pursued. But it does not demonstrate ivermectin has antiviral effects against coronavirus; ivermectin could also work as an immunomodulator to fight viruses.

The in vitro studies in your list showing potent antiviral effects for ivermectin do not count, for the reasons explained about (basically, you cannot achieve in vivo the same high concentrations of ivermectin which were used in vitro).

Dr.Andrew Hill of Liverpool University is evaluating Ivermectin for the WHO. In his interim analysis of 11RCTs he says it shows great promise as a treatment for Covid-19. Dr. Hill has developed a very comprehensive data base analysing the dozens of studies showing the potent anti viral properties of Ivermectin. He is hoping to be able to make a recommendation to the WHO once the results of 3 more RCTs report their results in January.
Trail Site News provides an in depth analysis of Dr. Hill's interim study on Ivermectin.

https://trialsitenews.com/unitaid-p...rch-targeting-covid-19-led-by-british-expert/

The FLCCC doctors who have developed the MATH+ protocol have written a manuscript that has been published in a peer reviewed journal. It examines the results from 2 dozen studies, made up of observational/randomised studies. Dr. Pierre Kory presented the findings of this paper to a US Senate hearing in December:

'Review of the Emerging Evidence Demonstrating the Efficacy of Ivermectin in the Prophylaxis and Treatment of COVID-19'

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-...the-prophylaxis-and-treatment-of-COVID-19.pdf

FLCCC member Professor Paul Marik, who is one of the most cited critical care academics in the world,
has written several papers on the efficacy of Ivermectin based on real world evidence from across the world and numerous RCT/OCTs:

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-...rapeutics-Dr-Paul-Marik-FLCCC-Alliance-v7.pdf

A highly respected independent research group has analysed the evidence put forward by the FLCCC regarding Ivermectin and calls for the immediate use of Ivermectin for treating Covid-19.

https://b3d2650e-e929-4448-a527-4ee...d/593c4f_8cb655bd21b1448ba6cf1f4c59f0d73d.pdf

Hip

Dr. Hill has developed a very comprehensive data base analysing the dozens of studies showing the potent anti viral properties of Ivermectin.

Thanks for those links, I found this one (which compares ivermectin to other drugs used to treat COVID) interesting.

But note that if ivermectin is indeed increasing the survival chances of COVID patients, this may not be via an antiviral mechanism. Indeed, pharmacokinetic studies say that ivermectin is not antiviral in vivo, only in vitro.

My guess is that ivermectin may fight coronavirus by stimulating the production of antibodies, which it is known to do. So ivermectin may get the immune system to fight the virus (which strictly speaking is not antiviral, but fights the virus by an immunomodulatory action).

Ivermectin is a very safe and generally well tolerated drug, so I'd be happy to take it if I had COVID.

In the video below three World Class Doctors/Scientists Dr Paul Marik, Dr Peter McCullough Dr David Scheim discuss how Ivermectin should be used as a bridge to support the mass vaccination programmes globally.

Dr.Paul Marik has over 500 medical articles published in peer reviewed journals, with over 24,000 citations. He has written over 80 book chapters for critical care books. He is the seond most highly cited and published critical care physician in the world.

Dr. Peter McCullough is the programme director in cardiology at Baylor University Medical Centre, Texas and is the most published person in the world in the area of the interface between heart and kidney disease and has over 600 publications listed in the US Library of Medicine in that field. He has chaired multiple drug safety boards for different arms of the NIH .

Dr.Scheim gained his PhD in Mathematical Biology from MIT then did post doctoral research at the Los Alamos Medical Laboratory then spent over 20 years working for NIH and is now an independent researcher who now specializes in hemagglutination caused by the Sars-Cov 2 virus.

In their discussion they covered some of the following points relating to Ivermectin:

Until herd immunity is achieved globally the pandemic will not be under control, that is going to take some considerable time. There is an urgent need to use Ivermectin now to save lives instead of people being told to stay at home until they are having problems breathing, by which point they go to hospital in a very poor condition which greatly reduces their chances of survival.

They note how many in the academic establishment say that more evidence is needed from randomized control trials before Ivermectin's use can be considered. That is immoral and unethical and goes against the World Medical Association's Helsinki Declaration on ethical principles for medical research.

The doctors get very emotional at times saying how people are dying in large numbers and here is an extremely safe medication (over 3.7 billion doses given over 25 years to hundreds of millions of people) that has a proven track record of success for the different stages of Covid-19 across different continents this year. Never mind the fact that certain monoclonal antibody treatments have been granted emergency authorization despite the evidence of their efficacy being very slim.

Dr.Scheim explains out how Ivermectin works against the virus in the same way as vaccines do i.e. it binds to viral spike protein which then prevents the Sars-Cov 2 virus from binding to ACE 2 receptors and gaining entry to cells. It does this in 8 hours!

There is alot more to this video by these very distinguished scientists/doctors and well worth a watch.

Hip

Dr.Scheim explains out how Ivermectin works against the virus in the same way as vaccines do i.e. it binds to viral spike protein which then prevents the Sars-Cov 2 virus from binding to ACE 2 receptors and gaining entry to cells. It does this in 8 hours!

Is that in vitro or in vivo? Big difference.

consuegra

That's a good list.

Hip, Have you ever tried Ivermectin for Coxsackie B? Do you know anyone who has?

Chris

Hip

Hip, Have you ever tried Ivermectin for Coxsackie B? Do you know anyone who has?

I don't know anyone who has taken ivermectin for CVB or ME/CFS.

There's no immediate reason to believe ivermectin and its antibody stimulation would help chronic CVB, which is an intracellular infection which antibodies cannot reach. There may be other immunomodulatory effects of ivermectin that might have some effect against CVB though.

It's a safe enough drug to try, and if it did not help, at least you would be sure you had no intestinal worms, because ivermectin is used for killing helminths.

COVID is different: there is some preliminary evidence to suggest the immune system attacks its own B-cells and T-cells during coronavirus infection — ie, COVID triggers an autoimmune attack on the immune system itself, which may be why certain patients cannot fight off the infection.

If antibody-producing B-cells are hampered by autoimmune attack, this might explain why ivermectin's boosting of antibodies may be beneficial for coronavirus infection.

Please see the video message below to the UK Prime Minister from Dr. Tess Lawrie. She is director of the Evidence Based Medicine Consultancy in Bath. Her business conducts industry independent medical evidence synthesis to support international clinical practice guidelines. Her biggest clients are the NHS and the WHO. She has recently authored a report called, 'Ivermectin for preventing and treating Covid-19'.

Dr. Lawrie has provided a rapid review to validate the analysis of efficacy of Ivermectin provided by the Frontline Covid-19 Critical Care Alliance , based in the US. Its leading figures have recently given testimony to the National Institute of Health's Covid-19 Treatment Panel In New York. In connection with her analysis of ivermectin she sent a letter to Health Secretary Mr. Hancock and other MP's on 3 January and has so far received no reply.

In her letter to the Prime Minister Dr. Lawrie states,

"The good news is that we now have solid evidence of an effective treatment Covid-19. It is called ivermectin. Ivermectin is a very safe and effective anti-parasitic medication widely used in low and middle income countries to treat worms, lice and scabies in both adults and children. It has been around for decades and not only is it on the WHO list of essential medicines it is a Nobel Prize winning medicine due to its increasing usefulness across a range of illnesses.

Between Xmas and new year I independently reviewed 27 studies presented by the FLCCC as evidence of ivermectin effectiveness. The resulting evidence is consistent and unequivocal : ivermectin works well both in preventing covid infections and in preventing deaths at the same doses used to treat lice other parasitic infections.

I am very pleased to inform you that this evidence solidly substantiates the FLCCC's recommendation that ivermectin should be adopted globally and systematically for the prevention and treatment of Covid-19. Because I know there is alot of fake news going about I would like to assure you that you can trust the integrity of my report because I am an experienced independent medical research consultant whose work is routinely used to underpin international clinical practice guidelines. In addition I have no conflict of interest and have received no funding for this report.

But most of all you can trust me because I am a medical doctor first and foremost with amoral duty to help people, to do no harm and to save lives.

Please may we start saving lives now.

Thank you very much for your help. Mr.Hancock's office should have my details. ''

Link to the video letter is below:

Please forward to your MP if you agree with Dr. Lawrie's conclusion.

Please find below a press release from the Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC) whose leading figures Professor Paul Marik and Dr.Pierre Kory appeared before the National Institutes of Health COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel on 6 Janury 2021.

"FLCCC Urges Review of Current Data and an Updated NIH Guidance NEW YORK, N.Y. — JANUARY 7, 2021:

On January 6, 2021, Drs. Pierre Kory and Paul Marik, founding members of the Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC), appeared before the National Institutes of Health COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel. The panel, which is in the process of reviewing the rapidly emerging data on the role of ivermectin in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19, invited Drs. Kory and Marik to present the latest data, along with Dr. Andrew Hill—a senior research fellow at the University of Liverpool, who was hired by UNITAID to provide research for the World Health Organization (WHO).

The NIH invited the FLCCC members and Dr. Hill to the panel to present the four months of data on ivermectin that has emerged since the NIH last issued its guidelines on August 27. During the meeting, the FLCCC and Dr. Hill pressed the NIH to reevaluate their recommendation for ivermectin.

The doctors explained to the panel that numerous clinical studies—including peer-reviewed randomized controlled trials—showed large magnitude benefits of ivermectin in prophylaxis, early treatment and also in late-stage disease. Taken together, the doctors reported that the dozens of clinical trials that have now emerged from around the world are substantial enough to reliably assess clinical efficacy.

Specifically, the FLCCC physicians and Dr. Hill presented data from 18 randomized controlled trials that included over 2,100 patients. The trial results demonstrated that ivermectin produces faster viral clearance, faster time to hospital discharge, faster time to clinical recovery, and a 75% reduction in mortality rates.

“In order to save thousands who will die while waiting for their turn to receive the vaccine, it is imperative that treatment guidelines issued by the NIH over four months ago be updated to reflect the strength of the data for ivermectin in prophylaxis, early treatment, and late-stage disease,” said Dr. Kory, FLCCC president, following the hearing.

The NIH panel signaled their intention to consider the data and update their current recommendation by early February. ''

uglevod

Ivermectin is unlikely to ever gain official approval because this is one of the few drugs that is able not only to treat, but also to cure a number of chronic diseases.

Imagine a situation when iver passes into the category of a mass medicine even as a prophylactic agent and, unexpectedly, some people will stop experience symptoms currently managed by multi year therapies based on hormones, steroids and the like trash.

The case with ivermectin clearly shows the venality of the official medicine(doctors, researchers) to pharma companies.

Welcome to the machine.

The US based National Institute of Health have finally updated their guidelines regarding Ivermectin.
It has gone from recommending against the use of Ivermectin to treat Covid-19 patients to putting it in the same 'neutral' category as convalescent plasma and monoclonal antibodies i.e. NIH is neither for or against Ivermectin.

This now allows doctors to start prescribing Ivermectin to treat patients during the different stages of the illness.
https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/antiviral-therapy/ivermectin/

If you look at the NIH's rationale for this decision it is highly flawed in many places. Most notable is the highly selective use of certain clinical studies to justify its decision. I fully expect the Frontline Covid-19 Critical Care Alliance, which has done so much to push NIH to carry out this recent update, to provide a detailed criticism of the NIH's decision.

For a review of NIH's decisioon see this video by Whiteboard Doctor on youtube:

One can cite many examples of studies that the NIH has ignored. A good example is the study by epidemiologist Dr. Juan Chamie et al which looks at the use of Ivermectin given to millions of people in Peru. It reveals how this has crushed infection/mortality rates and proven to be very safe. See the study link below:

Chamie-Quintero, Juan and Hibberd, Jennifer and Scheim, David, Sharp Reductions in COVID-19 Case Fatalities and Excess Deaths in Peru in Close Time Conjunction, State-By-State, with Ivermectin Treatments (January 12, 2021). Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3765018or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3765018

Still this decision by the globally influential NIH is a step forward in that it now allows patients to ask their doctors for Ivermectin and allows doctors/hospitals to include it in their treatment regimes. One can only hope that as data from several larger clinical trials becomes available over the next few months the NIH can be pushed into revising its guidelines into a recommendation for Ivermectin.

We shouldn't forget that NIH has funneled hundreds of millions into new expensive drug treatments such as monoclonal antibodies but not given one cent towards any clinical trials into Ivermectin which is a very cheap drug. Draw your own conclusion from that.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Found this on drugs.com today:

Each ivermectin dose should be taken on an empty stomach with a full (8 oz) glass of water.

A recent pharmacokinetics study reports that following a high-fat meal absorption was significantly higher (about 2.5 times) than in the fasted state.

Sounds like a contradiction. On the one hand it sounds like it should be taken without food but then on the other hand it sounds like a fatty food essentially improves the potency.