• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What’s the theory behind the connection between Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) and ME/CFS? (Other than CCI/AAI)

ChookityPop

Yes, that’s a very good summary of what I have managed to read so far. Thank you.
My POTS came about three weeks after covid infection. That’s very short time. I’m not sure if the collagen breakdown could be that fast. I certainly have had seriuos collagen breakdown, it’s unreal, so it’s giving me problems now for sure.
Can I ask how you know you have had seriuous collagen breakdown?

pattismith

Mitochondrial Dysfunction Contributes to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome - A Patient Presentation

Abstract A female patient with substantial history and physical findings of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome by systematic evaluation had a variant in the gene encoding the sixth subunit of mitochondrial ATP synthetase gene that produced a change from glycine to aspartic acid at position 132 of the MT-ATP6 protein (MT-ATP6 m.8921G>A, p.Gly132Asp). The mutation was heteroplasmic, affecting 32% of the mitochondria in blood leucocytes, was qualified as a pathogenic variant because of its significant molecular change, but was not detected in the maternal blood sample as might be expected for its low degree of heteroplasmy.

The patient was shown to have typical findings of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome by comparison of 48 history and physical findings in her and a peer group of 32 teenage females with that diagnosis. None of the classical neurosensory or developmental symptoms of mitochondrial disease were present in mother or daughter, but the patient had symptoms, metabolite alterations during rest or exercise, and muscle biopsy changes that suggested mild mitochondrial dysfunction.

Mitochondrial dysfunction is proposed to influence neuromuscular components of connective tissue, acting through an articulo-autonomic dysplasia cycle to cause the typical joint-skin laxity and dysautonomia of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.

bc82dc9536a7cefee7ba4f7c7d4dcfc966a8.pdf (semanticscholar.org)