• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Whats happening in research? Naviaux? Davis? Klimas?

perrier

JES

Davis gave an update around Christmas time, where the main message was that they need to develop a better measurement technique to confirm that the metabolic trap hypothesis is valid.

Belbyr

Davis gave an update around Christmas time, where the main message was that they need to develop a better measurement technique to confirm that the metabolic trap hypothesis is valid.

I think the trap is there, too many others are thinking the same thing and replicating it in smaller studies...

JES

I think the trap is there, too many others are thinking the same thing and replicating it in smaller studies...

I agree. I think it seems very plausible that some of us get stuck in a metabolic state which promotes the illness. Unfortunately the devil is in the details and I'm not convinced the particular trap that Robert Phair found is the one causing the problem.

Belbyr

I agree. I think it seems very plausible that some of us get stuck in a metabolic state which promotes the illness. Unfortunately the devil is in the details and I'm not convinced the particular trap that Robert Phair found is the one causing the problem.

I tend to agree but I think the researchers are in the right area. Dr Gordon Broderick's is closer and it's been replicated in other studies more recently. His makes sense because it is upstream of stress hormones.

Jackb23

I tend to agree but I think the researchers are in the right area. Dr Gordon Broderick's is closer and it's been replicated in other studies more recently. His makes sense because it is upstream of stress hormones.

Can you send link to study? Thanks

frozenborderline

I don’t think any irritation or frustration with the pace of research and disclosure should be directed to any of the researchers or organizations. I think it should be directed at the NIH. Of course we won’t see results until the research funding multiplies x10 or more. It’s useless to watch the research like a hawk and wait at this pace for paradigm-shifting discoveries. The researchers are all making valiant efforts but they will not do much at this pace. I am not currently well enough to be involved in advocacy or activism but I swear that if I ever improve even enough to do some things that all my energy will go toward that. Focusing on picking apart the already scant research desperately looking for a crumb that might help us seems way more of a waste of time than directly demanding results , even if the latter seems hard, it’s the only thing that’s ever changed anything

frozenborderline

Of course I am not judging people who are too sick to be involved in advocacy or activism , but I am saying that if you do have any energy or are more mildly or moderately ill that that’s your best bet for investment of time and resources