• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What positive or negative effects do you get from Cannabis?

Rufous McKinney

I use a 2.5 mg mint....around 2 pm...when my right eye starts hurting really alot...I have visual blurr, pressure, lost acuity, toxins. Eye doctors do nothing. So that lessons all that.

Its around 6 pm that my symptoms keep intensifying...they come on late afternoon and get more and more intense. So around 6: I have 2 puffs.

this: almost stops Sickness Behavior. It handles- most aspects of sickness behavior- and I simply feel ALMOST OK. But yes, I'm not pushing Intellectual Activities at that Time of Day. I relax, watch some news, then later maybe watch a show on TV.

I clean something, rather often around 11 pm: or else I just go to bed.

By sickness behavior- I mean the entire suite of how we feel that prevents us from functioning.

Nauseated, mildly, hard to eat food. No enjoyment of a meal. It even: tastes BAD. 2 puffs, nausea shifts, and I can eat, I'm hun gry and this tastes good.

Unable to leave my apartment/cave converts to: well maybe I can go do that with you...for a little while. I could go out a bit with my daughter, to a restaurant, and enjoy myself.

Anxiety: lowered generally

sleep: THC helps me go to sleep, and I'll stay asleep longer. Its still unrefreshing it seems. But I" m not tormented at 3 am any longer.

oddly: after years of thinking that THC made my blood sugar more erratic, in fact I've discovered it stabilizes it and it functions better.....

THC lowers my blood pressure, which is high-ish. Altho I can have hypo symptoms as well, somehow.

Now, I was in a real bad state- on a trip for three months visitng my daughter and I was in a real continuous PEM state that I somehow flunked managing. And my daughter (adult) is begging me to: have a hit mom.

But I just won't, unless its real bad or after six pm.

So she got me some drops and I tried those in the daytime. And what I found was: can you believe a puff of THC will end my sore throat? While drops did nothing, and I felt I was getting Strep at 2 pm every day, and by 5 pm I was: nearly Suicidal. I'll just say it. Around 5pm most days, I'd retreat to my room for a tachycardia event, lie there and consider just: Ending it All.

THC stops those thoughts entirely.

It frustrates me nobody will study this.

5vforest

I took 5mg THC recently and it was a massive mistake. All body sensations were heightened, which means that every ache and pain and unpleasant feeling I already have were multiplied by 10x.

Jyoti

I absolutely hate being high, but THC is a godsend in terms of sleep for me. I have to take it in the right timing with melatonin and an herbal soporific, but I have it down so that I fall asleep most nights before the THC kicks in and then that is what keeps me asleep. It is not absolutely fool proof, but it i the best formula I have found to date. I use edibles as they seem to deliver the kind of slow-acting effect I am seeking.

Wishful

I tried a brownie made with it. It didn't affect my ME symptoms, but I absolutely hated the effect on my brain and just kept thinking "please let this end soon". Not interested in trying it ever again. :xpem:

ChookityPop

I tried a brownie made with it. It didn't affect my ME symptoms, but I absolutely hated the effect on my brain and just kept thinking "please let this end soon". Not interested in trying it ever again. :xpem:
Sounds like you got way too high. How important dosing is very under communicated. Plus eating it is like taking another drug, its more psychoactive.

Rufous McKinney

I took 5mg THC recently and it was a massive mistake. All body sensations were heightened, which means that every ache and pain and unpleasant feeling I already have were multiplied by 10x

well, I understand ...and that can happen.

If your not "used to it"...it has a stronger effect (THC type). I take a 2.5 mg mint and I notice almost nothing like that.

And I can't get over how much pain I'm actually in- that is subdued by- some of that. I don't take over the counter pain killers unless something very extreme is occuring.

Eating it is harder to ...judge dosing so you have to be EXTREMELY careful and go very very slow.

It is not absolutely fool proof, but it i the best formula I have found to date. I use edibles as they seem to deliver the kind of slow-acting effect I am seeking.

So is that about 2 hours before your desired go to sleep? Sometimes there is a bit of a Lift, followed by tired later.

From just being around people over time, cannabis has a real varied reaction in different bodies. Some people are incredibly MORE functional on it than not. Others- are less functional on it, if function is what your desiring.

5vforest

Rufous, thanks for your response. I definitely had too strong of a dose. I am a little bit scared of even lowering the dose, but maybe I will try.

I have tried CBD but honestly I don't find any effect whatsoever.

ChookityPop

I use a 2.5 mg mint....around 2 pm...when my right eye starts hurting really alot...I have visual blurr, pressure, lost acuity, toxins. Eye doctors do nothing. So that lessons all that.

Its around 6 pm that my symptoms keep intensifying...they come on late afternoon and get more and more intense. So around 6: I have 2 puffs.

this: almost stops Sickness Behavior. It handles- most aspects of sickness behavior- and I simply feel ALMOST OK. But yes, I'm not pushing Intellectual Activities at that Time of Day. I relax, watch some news, then later maybe watch a show on TV.

I clean something, rather often around 11 pm: or else I just go to bed.

By sickness behavior- I mean the entire suite of how we feel that prevents us from functioning.

Nauseated, mildly, hard to eat food. No enjoyment of a meal. It even: tastes BAD. 2 puffs, nausea shifts, and I can eat, I'm hun gry and this tastes good.

Unable to leave my apartment/cave converts to: well maybe I can go do that with you...for a little while. I could go out a bit with my daughter, to a restaurant, and enjoy myself.

Anxiety: lowered generally

sleep: THC helps me go to sleep, and I'll stay asleep longer. Its still unrefreshing it seems. But I" m not tormented at 3 am any longer.

oddly: after years of thinking that THC made my blood sugar more erratic, in fact I've discovered it stabilizes it and it functions better.....

THC lowers my blood pressure, which is high-ish. Altho I can have hypo symptoms as well, somehow.

Now, I was in a real bad state- on a trip for three months visitng my daughter and I was in a real continuous PEM state that I somehow flunked managing. And my daughter (adult) is begging me to: have a hit mom.

But I just won't, unless its real bad or after six pm.

So she got me some drops and I tried those in the daytime. And what I found was: can you believe a puff of THC will end my sore throat? While drops did nothing, and I felt I was getting Strep at 2 pm every day, and by 5 pm I was: nearly Suicidal. I'll just say it. Around 5pm most days, I'd retreat to my room for a tachycardia event, lie there and consider just: Ending it All.

THC stops those thoughts entirely.

It frustrates me nobody will study this.
Wow thats powerful! Thanks for sharing. I have positive experiences from it as well. Dosing is very important! Its the only thing that has given me a real escape/break from being sick and that is extremely valuable. People in general that has a negative experience has most likely taken too much. I take a super fast mini hit and thats it. lasts 2-3 hours.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I took 5mg THC recently and it was a massive mistake.
I absolutely hate being high, but THC is a godsend in terms of sleep for me. I have to take it in the right timing with melatonin and an herbal soporific, but I have it down so that I fall asleep most nights before the THC kicks in and then that is what keeps me asleep. It is not absolutely fool proof, but it i the best formula I have found to date. I use edibles as they seem to deliver the kind of slow-acting effect I am seeking.
If your not "used to it"...it has a stronger effect (THC type). I take a 2.5 mg mint and I notice almost nothing like that.
I have a medical cannabis permit and use THC for two things: 1) if I have overdone things and get to the "I may die in the next half-hour," and 2) for sleep, timing it as Jyoti does. It is brilliant for both (the not feeling you are going to die is the most brilliant :thumbsup: and for that I take about 1 mg from a chocolate bar and it kicks in in about 15 min). For sleep I take 2 mg. My chocolate bars are divided into doses so it is pretty easy to calculate. My problem is that I get sensitive to it if I use it everyday for sleep. Then I start getting headaches and have to take a break for a week or so.

Rufous McKinney

"I may die in the next half-hour,"

It can be quite excellent for that!

These are trade offs. When so few things help us feel better, and then something helps some symptoms be less horrible....

I take an 3.5 mg LDN, and a bloodpressure beta blocker, when I got to bed. So I do Ok now, fall asleep pretty quickly.

Its helped that I have very little stress any longer, in terms of 3 am sessions.

GreenEdge

I took 5mg THC recently and it was a massive mistake. All body sensations were heightened, which means that every ache and pain and unpleasant feeling I already have were multiplied by 10x.
I have tried CBD but honestly I don't find any effect whatsoever.
I also get no effect from CBD alone, however I find a little with THC works just like a muscle relaxant only more complete (no stringy muscles fibers that wont relax) in roughly a 3:1 ratio THC:CBD. If I take too much CBD with the THC the muscle relaxation can be too strong (breathing becomes a little labored) which makes it scary. The small amount of CBD lowers my anxiety and compliments the effects of THC.

So if you do try it again, include some CBD.

I take it as medicinal oil for sleep. The oil has a (~2hr) delayed but longer lasting effect. The oil is best taken after an oily meal (effect is stronger and last longer). I usually take it a few hours after dinner (mixed with yogurt) so that its closer to bed time.

It takes much experimentation to work out what works best for you. Start with amounts and ratio; later experiment with alternative products. Different manufactures use different cultivars so whilst 2 similar products may have same THC & CBD amounts, the terpenes and other cannabinoids included can be very different - the cheapest product may not be the best.

It has enabled me to stop all other medications. :thumbsup: