• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What outlets do we have to publish pieces of art or writing about this illness and theology or spirituality, or just any art about it?

frozenborderline

What outlets besides our own blogs can we publish art specific for ME/CFS peolle or people with chronic illness? Omf rejected a poem I wrote for supposedly being too dark, it made me very sad and made me think I cant really connect with people in the me/cfs community. Bc this particular poem wasnt very dark at all, no suicide mention or anything. It's not about personal pride, I've had my art criticized by classmates and peers alike for goodreasons, but the omf didnt have good reasons. ,The omf I think just wants saccharine art like pretty pictures of a field with some snow and a quote saying "don't give up". Their policing of tone in art kind of upsets me. but you can judge for yourself ,I'll post the poem. I'm not even saying it's amazing, but they were punishing huge amounts of stuff from patients, withbvarying qualities, and they didnt have criticism of the form or anything real, they just said it was too dark... a) it wasnt and b) ME/CFS is a dark experience. We need good expressions of that for the public to understand

I published creative nonfiction (though not poetry) written from a Christian perspective in Breath & Shadow. I found a few places that will take poetry concerning illness:
Bellevue Literary Review

Bellevue Literary Review, founded in 2000, was created as a forum for creatively exploring a broad array of issues in medicine and society, using fiction, nonfiction, and poetry to better understand the nuanced tensions that define our lives both in illness and in health.

Blood and Thunder

Blood and Thunder is a medically themed arts journal published by the students of the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine.

The Healing Muse

The Healing Muse is the annual journal of literary and visual art published by SUNY Upstate Medical University’s Center for Bioethics & Humanities. We welcome fiction, poetry, narratives, essays, memoirs and visual art, particularly but not exclusively focusing on themes of medicine, illness, disability and healing.

A couple of maybes:
The Examined Life and RogueAgent

frozenborderline

I published creative nonfiction (though not poetry) written from a Christian perspective in Breath & Shadow. I found a few places that will take poetry concerning illness:
Bellevue Literary Review

Bellevue Literary Review, founded in 2000, was created as a forum for creatively exploring a broad array of issues in medicine and society, using fiction, nonfiction, and poetry to better understand the nuanced tensions that define our lives both in illness and in health.

Blood and Thunder

Blood and Thunder is a medically themed arts journal published by the students of the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine.

The Healing Muse

The Healing Muse is the annual journal of literary and visual art published by SUNY Upstate Medical University’s Center for Bioethics & Humanities. We welcome fiction, poetry, narratives, essays, memoirs and visual art, particularly but not exclusively focusing on themes of medicine, illness, disability and healing.

A couple of maybes:
The Examined Life and RogueAgent
This is some great suggestions. Interesting about the bioethics illness and healing all as themes in the last one you mentioned, I'm interested in exploring stuff about biopolitical and bioethics themes

frozenborderline

Is there anything specific for cfs ? Or eds, or mcas or any illnesses like that? I notice meaction showcases some blogs and interviews sometimes but idk the process and if it's rare to get some kind of thing published by them.

xebex

you could try Wattpad, they seem to have a few writers on there with chronic illness and cfs - one boy has written a piece called pajama boy.

Rufous McKinney

the Examined Life Journal: wow does that looks interesting...just the titles from
Issue 8 are very cool....

"Cracked, but not Broken"

"Trapped Bird Locked Door"

Thanks for posting these links.....

CSMLSM

What outlets besides our own blogs can we publish art specific for ME/CFS peolle or people with chronic illness? Omf rejected a poem I wrote for supposedly being too dark, it made me very sad and made me think I cant really connect with people in the me/cfs community. Bc this particular poem wasnt very dark at all, no suicide mention or anything. It's not about personal pride, I've had my art criticized by classmates and peers alike for goodreasons, but the omf didnt have good reasons. ,The omf I think just wants saccharine art like pretty pictures of a field with some snow and a quote saying "don't give up". Their policing of tone in art kind of upsets me. but you can judge for yourself ,I'll post the poem. I'm not even saying it's amazing, but they were punishing huge amounts of stuff from patients, withbvarying qualities, and they didnt have criticism of the form or anything real, they just said it was too dark... a) it wasnt and b) ME/CFS is a dark experience. We need good expressions of that for the public to understand
I have not looked into cost, but here is an idea.

I wanted a place to share what I know and considered before joining Phoenix Rising paying to have my own website.
These days there are constantly adverts coming at me about having your own website and some are free to create and you only pay when its ready to be made live. So you can play around essentially for free, do something you like and pay.

I know no more than what I have just said as I did not look further into it, but you could play around with one of these if you have a computer maybe even a phone (not familiar with modern stuff, dont have). If you like you could maybe crowd source the cost on here to pay for the upkeep of it.

I would gladly donate what I could to it. I would like to see such a thing as you describe.

Please do this!

Daniel

frozenborderline

I have not looked into cost, but here is an idea.

I wanted a place to share what I know and considered before joining Phoenix Rising paying to have my own website.
These days there are constantly adverts coming at me about having your own website and some are free to create and you only pay when its ready to be made live. So you can play around essentially for free, do something you like and pay.

I know no more than what I have just said as I did not look further into it, but you could play around with one of these if you have a computer maybe even a phone (not familiar with modern stuff, dont have). If you like you could maybe crowd source the cost on here to pay for the upkeep of it.

I would gladly donate what I could to it. I would like to see such a thing as you describe.

Please do this!

Daniel
I already have my own website but nobody reads it. I'm talking more about established outlets that people are aware of and read and that published multiple people

CSMLSM

Dude I am fine now seriously just gotta rebuild the body now. I have been in recovery for approx 20 months.
Major life changing stuff on 9th Feb 2022. I am covering it all in a few threads.

I am just about to post a thread with a link to an amazing video about Caryophyllene which is what I use essentially.

It has all the information you could ever want, its amazing and I recommend everyone watch it. It is a presentation of the science and potential. Its all you need to watch, its amazing. It got posted yesterday on youtube.

When I have a space I will take a look at your website and let you know, unless I forget, getting less likely now:)

Rest well

Daniel