• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What kitchen appliances are on your countertop?

Rufous McKinney

The video is towards the bottom, just above the "Customer Questions and answers" section.

Oh!!!! Way Down There! Down Under! Thats great! Husband is impressed!

thats like - a page 4 google search. The darndest things start to show up...on page 4.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Standing and chopping is one of the hardest things in cooking.

With a pressure cooker it's possible to cook vegetables first, and then cut them in the pot when everything is already soft... as long as you aren't too demanding about uniformity. Some things still need rough chopping first to make them cook more uniformly.

I tried it long ago when I first got my Instant Pot, then forgot about doing it after my energy increased enough that chopping wasn't such a burden. I think I'll try it again. At the moment I chop vegetables and then pressure cook them for two minutes with slow release after. It's just the right amount of time to make them soft but not obliterate nutrients with overcooking. Putting them in whole, or split (carrots, beets) will take some experimenting to see how it affects cooking times.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
With a pressure cooker it's possible to cook vegetables first, and then cut them in the pot when everything is already soft... as long as you aren't too demanding about uniformity. Some things still need rough chopping first to make them cook more uniformly.
That is a great idea as some of the vegetables I use are quite hard to cut. Pressure cooking them for a short time would make everything easier—thanks!

Strawberry

Yeah, I often cut stuff with kitchen scissors when cooked. So much easier.

PS my wonderful onion dicer came today! I'm really hoping I have energy this weekend to wash AND USE it! I also just added carrots and onions to my grocery order for tomorrow night, so now I must have the energy for soup. I will report back.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Yesterday I made a 7 meal dish in the InstantPot. Some of the ingredients were tough to peel and cut...so I took your suggestion and put things like sweet potatoes into the pot for 2 minutes. Then I took them out and the skins almost fell off—and they were so easy to dice. Thanks PatJ!

Sarahloudobby

This is an extension of my last thread, on soups for easy cooking. I'm trying TRYING to get cooking more and less reliant on microwave meals on weekends. So I got the thought that maybe if I could clean my kitchen counters completely off and put some appliances (like maybe my blender and/or food processor) that maybe it would make prep easier and quicker.

Is there something that sits on your counter top that makes your life much easier for cooking?

(this thread idea was created by my own failure. I made my favorite soup this weekend, but couldn't slice the aromatics for the broth - galangal, lime leaves, and lemon grass. I'd make this soup more often if I could pre slice the galangal then freeze in batches. But I want to hear other's ideas, and hopefully share ideas that will help more than me)
A slow cooker is my go to for easy meals that can sit and cook safely all day without much effort
Sarah x

Strawberry

Wanted to update this thread for the onion dicer. It's a dream come true! I only did one onion, but SO quick and easy. I'm certain it would do a carrot. It is so sharp I cut my finger tip and I have no idea how or when. Very little effort to push down the handle. GIT IT!