• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is the best type of magnesium?

ChookityPop

I use magnesium malate and it has helped reduce my muscle twitching. But its expensive.

I would love to inject it to get even better effect.

I found magnesium citrate but I read that people shouldnt use it since it interferes with iron and something else.

I wonder if epsom salt (food grade) could replace the malate.. It would certainly be a lot cheaper.

YippeeKi YOW !!

There are numerous threads on this exact subject on this site .... hit the search link at top right of any page to find them for more input and info on mag ....

I'm also a huge fan of mag glycinate, and have been mentioning/promoting it endlessly in every thread on this site where the sujbect's come up for the last couple of years.

Because glycine is a large molecule, it keeps the mag it's bound to from shooting straight thru to your intestines, which is where mag can cause discomfort and other problems, and holds itself, and the bound magnesium, in your stomach for digestion.

Additionally, the glycine is in itself an amino that promotes calm and balance .....

YippeeKi YOW !!

I wonder if epsom salt (food grade) could replace the malate.. It would certainly be a lot cheaper.
I woldn;t recommend it, since its laxative effects whe taken orally kick in pretty quickly, and with devastating effect ...

Ditto mag citrate, which is used as an intestinal flush prior to surgery in pretty much every hospital in the US ....
Malate, threonate, and glycinate are all good
Malate has some problems I can't recall right now, threonate is extremely expensive and it's purported benefits are repeatedly questioned by researchers, particularly its claim to cross the BBB.

Is there some reason you can;t take glycinate? I spent 3 years investigating, and trialing, all other forms of mag and found this one to be both the most effective and affordable, and to have the least number of undesirable side-effects ....