• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What does your SHBG levels look like?

drob31

My SHBG levels are always high causing my free test to be low normal, which is a huge factor in energy levels. Recently I've been investigating the connection between prolactin, dopamine, and SHBG. It seems the more I lower prolactin, the higher dopamine, and the lower SHBG levels go.

Magnesium and Boron seem to lower SHBG a little.

B6 and Sam-e seem to lower prolactin a little. But when you combine them, they seem to have a larger impact overall on lowering SHBG and raising free testosterone.

Sometimes the cause of high SHBG is the liver, and Sam-e not only improves methylation but also liver function, and this increase SHBG clearance.

Gondwanaland

Last time I tested SHBG one year ago it was above range. I would be interested in alternatives to SAMe since it is quite expensive and I am not sure I can get it locally. Additionally, anything-methionine gives me horrible brain fog.

I tested prolactin 2 years ago and it was very low in range.

Thinktank

My SHBG is high, but i also have plenty testosterone. Free testosterone is low-normal.
I probably also have high prolactin because i suffer a bit from gynecomastia, although high prolactin does not show up on testing. Dopamine is probably low in me.

Ref. range nmol/L 0,198 - 0,618 // Free testosteron (calculated) = 0,302
Ref. range nmol/L 18,3 - 54,1 // SHBG = 79,5
Ref. range µg/L 4,0 - 17,0 // Prolactin = 4,4
Ref. range nmol/L 8,68 - 29,15 // Testosterone = 25,50

drob31

Last time I tested SHBG one year ago it was above range. I would be interested in alternatives to SAMe since it is quite expensive and I am not sure I can get it locally. Additionally, anything-methionine gives me horrible brain fog.

I tested prolactin 2 years ago and it was very low in range.

I think this might have more of an affect on males.

drob31

My SHBG is high, but i also have plenty testosterone. Free testosterone is low-normal.
I probably also have high prolactin because i suffer a bit from gynecomastia, although high prolactin does not show up on testing. Dopamine is probably low in me.

Ref. range nmol/L 0,198 - 0,618 // Free testosteron (calculated) = 0,302
Ref. range nmol/L 18,3 - 54,1 // SHBG = 79,5
Ref. range µg/L 4,0 - 17,0 // Prolactin = 4,4
Ref. range nmol/L 8,68 - 29,15 // Testosterone = 25,50

I speculate, that things that raise prolactin, such as having an orgasm, cause a way larger / longer spike in prolactin. Measuring it in the morning would reveal normal levels.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Did you get E2/estrogen tested as high levels can increase shbg in men. Balance to get the e2 right as too high and too low can cause problems.

pamojja

It seems the more I lower prolactin, the higher dopamine, and the lower SHBG levels go.

Though not consistently tested, can't particularly recognize such an association in my results:
Code:
Year   Prol  SHBG  tTest fTest Estr 25(OH)D
      µg/dl nmol/l ng/dl pg/ml pg/ml ng/ml
2010    -      -    400    -    51    63
2011   4.8     -    200    -   <10    44
2012    -      -    262   5.4   24    62
2013    -      -    320    -     -    84
2014   6.6    53    340   4.9   32    51
2015  10.5    57    351   5.9   21    78
2016   8.1    77    469   9.3   46    72
2017    -      -      -    -     -    79
Oct.9   -    122    617   8.3   17   135
Oct.17  -    108    646   8.7    -   111

Oct. 9th test results have been lost and therefore retested. Later a technician could retrieve these earlier results from databases. Added 25(OH)D because it's association with the decline in SHBG.

Magnesium and Boron seem to lower SHBG a little. ..B6 and Sam-e seem to lower prolactin a little. ...Sometimes the cause of high SHBG is the liver, and Sam-e not only improves methylation but also liver function, and this increase SHBG clearance.

Also have been taken 2.4 g/d of elemental Mg, 9 mg/d of Boron and 160 mg/d B6 this year. Only a humble dose of 90 mg/d of SAMe discontinued at the beginning of this year. And my liver enzymes indeed rose to the higher end of normal ranges in the Oct. 9th results, decreasing already a week later in average by 10 points each.

Resting heard-rate lowered for the first time to 72 (before 77 in avg. for many years) Lowest inflammation markers in long times. Not that I actually felt anything different..

drob31

Orgasm and exersize are what I think may lead to abnormal prolactin spikes. B6 + Sam-e would combat this.