• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What do you eat for breakfast?

HopingSince88

Weekdays I am somewhere between Dr. Yes: "breakfast????"

and

Koan: "coffee"

Weekends I can eat more normally as I don't have to leave the house very early. I just can't put anything solid in my mouth before 10am.
usually bacon (non-cured, no nitrate type) and eggs scrambled with some veggies (peppers usually).

I work part time, and when I am in the office I usually have yoghurt or nuts, sometimes i have a nut butter of some kind on celery.

awol

Hey Awol

'cassein', no idea what this, I'm googling now,

Dairy free would finish me off, I'm trying to do lactose and gluten free, I sometimes fall of the wagon.

It has helped though, and whebn I fall of the wagon I soon notice, especially if they run out of lactose free at the local supermarket.

The same with bread, I love soft white bread. It seems Ok occasionally, but I soon notice if I've had it more than occasionaly.

qik question is your name the army version of, Awol, if so what an excellent pik, if not its still good, but if it is it is brilliant for CFS/ME.

I

Hi Flybro,

Casein (spelled it wrong before I think) is a dairy protein that a lot of PWMEs have trouble with. Unfortunately it is in goat and sheep milk as well as all cheese, so no way to avoid it even while cutting lactose.

awol was chosen as a username for many reasons. The main one is that, lacking an official diagnosis, I am sick yet not allowed to be sick. So yes in the military sense. Glad you like it!

A.

brenda

coconut milk kefir (home made) with sprouted brown rice protein powder or hemp powder,chia seeds, bananas, frozen blueberries and a touch of stevia, smoothie. It is good.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Breakfast is usually , god is it that time already? a panic to get something to eat before lunchtime, I've recently started having a goat's milk yogurt and 2 small pieces of gluten free toast with organic spread and a little marmalade (only sugar in my diet) It is a problem when you don't feel hungry but know a good diet is vital for health:)-)?).

Diva55

Breakfast can range between 2pm - 4pm so maybe lunch then!

Defrosted mixed berries, museli with seeds & nuts (add lots more walnuts), ground flaxseed, honey and a scoop of Inulin. Mostly with milk sometimes yogurt & sometimes with nothing.

If I'm not up to this & have any leftovers like pasta or soup I'll have those.

Mithriel

I have the traditional Scottish breakfast of porridge oats boiled with water and a little bit salt with some milk added for serving.

Mithriel

girlinthesnow

Hi Diesel,

Breakfast is thyroid meds then green tea and eggs scrambled in a little olive oil and smoked salmon or sometimes bacon washed down with water and a couple of handfuls of supplements.

sensing progress

Good post topic! I'm been having trouble finding a good, quick, nutritious breakfast for years. This is complicated by the fact that I have dairy and corn allergies. I loooove cereal and miss it so but I can't have it without feeling terrible later.

I did recently find a quick (and nutritious) breakfast that works for me: organic rice cake with raw almond butter, plus some leftover protein heated up from the previous day. It's important for me to have protein with every meal, less my hypoglycemia kick in. I'm usually too tired/out of it in the morning to cook so something that can be made quickly and easily is important.

Sing

I learned my stomach isn't ready to digest solid food for a couple of hours, but I do start with liquids earlier: Coffee first. next item when I am ready is a whole orange cut up in small pieces. Then I will eat some protein--that is critical. Eggs I can handle now--didn't use to be able to--but my stomach is particular about where they come from. A local farm with "cage free" birds gives me good quality eggs. It really makes a difference in digestibility! If I am not up to eggs, I will have cooked meat or fish. Sunflower butter on whole grain bread suits me too, but it isn't quite enough as a protein.

As for supplements, I eat these later in the day, spread out. My stomach can't handle vitamins and minerals in the am. Fortunately, I can take all the prescriptions I need to take then. Actually, if any drug makes me really nauseous or vomit, I refuse to go on with it. End of story. I will never take something with bad side effects. Got to get along with my digestive tract!

Sing

ixchelkali

My favorite breakfast isn't necessarily the one I eat most often. What I like to eat is oatmeal. That's either old-fashioned rolled oats cooked with cinnamon, raisins and cranberries, mixed with mashed banana and ground flax; OR steel cut oats cooked with cherries and cinnamon, topped with yogurt. The steel-cut oats have the advantage that I can cook them ahead in the crockpot and just reheat them in the microwave (I could do that with the rolled oats, too, but the texture is yucky!).

But truth to tell, most mornings I have cold bran cereal, because it's easier. I often make an orange juice, banana, and yogurt smoothie for my husband and me. If I don't keep up my fiber and probiotics, my IBS flares up.

I also like mashed pinto beans (frijoles de olla, like "refried," without the frying) for breakfast, but I haven't cooked any lately. When I'm craving protein, I'll fix myself a one-egg omelette.

Thanks for posting the question. It's nice to read what others are eating and get some ideas.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I eat a smoothie with a banana, yogurt, blueberries, mango, peaches, flax seeds ground up, ground oatmeal and allbran, whey protein, greens first powder, and OJ. It is FULL of wonderful things!

anne_likes_red

I'm dairy and grain free (helps me a LOT) so my usual breakfast is pretty far removed from the traditional cereal based one I grew up eating!
I always have a cup of organic chicken broth w. ginger. Then a couple of poached eggs on spinach, or cashew butter stirred into soup incorporating the broth.
I have coffee occasionally (love it but get too wired with it if I have too much!).

sensing progress

I eat a smoothie with a banana, yogurt, blueberries, mango, peaches, flax seeds ground up, ground oatmeal and allbran, whey protein, greens first powder, and OJ. It is FULL of wonderful things!

that does indeed sound wonderful! if only I didn't have such bad reactive hypoglycemia, I would love to eat a breakfast like that. as it stands now that would probably knock me out for much of the day. but glad you can enjoy it!

Sallysblooms

Yes, it is fantastic for antioxidents, fiber, vitamins and minerals. I try to put everything in that I can. I have to work VERY hard on my immune system every day in every meal.

judderwocky

i usually have kefir first thing. it makes my tummy stop feeling weird and nauseated... which happens a lot at night and when i wake up. then after i let that sit, i have a bagel or an english muffin.

traffy

[banned as spam]
I'm trying to start a healthier lifestyle. I'm not obese or anything, but I do weigh a little more than I'd like!

I can't face savoury stuff like bacon/other meat/cheese like they do in some countries in the morning. I'm more likely to go for cereals, yogurts, maybe fruits or fruit juice, toast with hazelnut spread, cereal bar, or boiled egg with soldiers. (These are just my favourite choices - I don't mean I want to eat them ALL every morning!)

Also, what do you think makes the healthiest feel-good breakfast? I'm looking for something that will make me feel fresh inside, but that also feels like I've definitely eaten something.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

Sallysblooms

Everything you mentioned can be in a smoothie. Fruits, juice, yogurt, protein and green powder, ground flax seed and ground grains like oatmeal, all bran etc. That way you get everything all at once and it is yummy!