• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What caused my sudden spiral down ?

juniemarie

Was it the salt in my bath water? The Lactic Acid body lotion? The Salicylic Acid toner? or perhaps being around Comet when someone was scrubbing a sink?
I can barely lift my fingers to type. Have not had a crash like this in a long time. In 1 day I went from feeling pretty decent, good energy, to total invalid.

leelaplay

Oh junemarie - I'm so sorry. I HATE unexplained relapses. Please don't blame yourself. Sometimes there seem to be reasons that we can track, things to avoid in the future, and maybe therefore have a bit of illusion of control. But sometimes relapses just happen. Please take very good care of yourself. I hope it's a very short relapse.

FernRhizome

Juniemarie:
Have you changed ANYTHING in terms of what you are taking? New medications? New supplements? Any dietary differences? Is there any supplement or drug you've been on for a long time and thought was fine? Sometimes a medication or supplement can seem to work great and then months or years down the line can be a MAJOR problem.....I've had this happen before.....so if you are taking anything at all you might want to try stopping things one at a time and see. Sounds like you may be having a mitochondrial reaction to something.....~Fern

juniemarie

Not taking anything new at all. I think it was one of those, if not all of those 3 things I listed because of the suddenness. Something caused a huge detox, maybe the salt??
Or something I was using, like the lactic acid or salicylic overloaded my system?
It did feel like the time they put me on a statin and I had a massive mitochondrial reaction, could not lift a feather if I had to. But that was gradual. This was sudden.

dannybex

Not taking anything new at all. I think it was one of those, if not all of those 3 things I listed because of the suddenness. Something caused a huge detox, maybe the salt??
Or something I was using, like the lactic acid or salicylic overloaded my system?
It did feel like the time they put me on a statin and I had a massive mitochondrial reaction, could not lift a feather if I had to. But that was gradual. This was sudden.

Hi Junemarie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your crash. Just my two cents, but if it came on suddenly, then yes, I would agree, that it's probably due to those products you mention. Not sure about the salt -- was it just regular salt or 'epsom' salts? Koan has reported having bad experiences with epsom salts...

Re the lotions -- I would not only consider the main ingredients in the lotions, but also and perhaps more importantly the other chemicals -- the alcohols, petroleum-based additives, etc -- in those products. Having said that, many people do react very strongly to salicylates, so that could very well be a problem.

And finally, the Comet: There are other options, like baking soda -- it actually works amazingly well, if you leave it on long enough, it's a strong antifungal -- and also comet-like cleansers that contain mainly calcium carbonate.

One last suggestion might be to try some activated charcoal capsules...they may help 'pull' toxins from your gut...???

Best regards,

Dan

juniemarie

So today, I am fit as a fiddle and full of piss and vinegar. Who knows, but yesterday, I swear picking up a pencil would have been an impossible task. I know you guys can relate. I use other things beside Comet, because for one thing, I know I have a sensitivity to bleach and I think its in Comet&Ajax.....I was in someone else's how and did not see it till it was a done deal. I'm scared to pull out toxins at all, because I see how much trouble people here have doing that, and I'm not on a protocol yet. I was thinking that maybe the sea salt was pulling toxins out at the same time I was putting toxins in, and it was like a major war going on. I would love to pull some toxins out, but really dont want to try this and that without a plan.
I will keep an eye on the pollen thing and see if there is any correlation. We are getting into the "blow" here in NM so things will be really stirred up during March.
It's so strange the way these crashes can happen so FAST.....people that have never seen me have one, seriously dont understand and think I am very healthy. Sometimes I am sure they think I use CFS as an excuse...........thats why I have you guys. Youve been there and done that, over and over and over. You know, and I certainly appreciate having you. thanks

Kati

Patient in training
Juniemarie, what if there was no explanations and you just had a crash??? What if there is no explanation whatsoever as of why we crash? There maybe some correlations to stress, environmental factos, etc... but I bet that sometimes crashes happen and we don't know -yet- why.

juniemarie

Well of course there is an explanation, just dont know what it is lol.......exactly. I usually figure it out eventually. Stress, and over doing physically, there is a direct line for me between cause and effect. I have a pretty simple life, diet, so I am usually exposed to the same things every day. When it comes to exposure to environmental stuff, I know quite a few of those things that would lead to a crash, but this time could not pinpoint because there was more than one thing I was exposed to in a short period of time. New things too. I thought I had read that, salicylic and lactic acid were hard on PWCFS, but maybe I am confusing it with something else.