• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are the reason behind muscle pain?

hapl808

I don't think there are 'proven' theories on very much to do with these types of illnesses. I have a lot of muscle pain if I try to walk or lift anything heavier than 1-2 pounds, but I have no idea why. Some connective tissue problems is my guess.

Tammy

Before CFS..................the only time I would get muscle pain (other than an injury) is when I had the flu........................so with CFS I think that muscle pain is also due to a virus that is causing inflammation.

Wayne

I don't have a lot of muscle pain, but I did notice that my whole body and muscular system felt noticably better the very next morning after I took my first dose(s) of NAG (N-Acetyl-Glucosamine). @Hip

I think the muscle pain is a basic side effect of inflammation. Just like when one has the flu, only that it's not necessarily associated with viruses or other pathogens. Just inflammation.

Wishful

I think the muscle pain is a basic side effect of inflammation.

Viral infections make my muscles feel achey, but I think that's glial activation causing neurological misprocessing of signals, resulting in the perception of pain.

There are probably several mechanisms responsible for PWME experiencing pain, so there's no one correct answer, or one treatment that will work for everyone.

Rufous McKinney

I'm getting more odd numbness and general weakness thats energetic/neurological and now its matching up. (lower and upper body matching up)

Muscle wise- its my hip flexors that ache and hurt the most. And thats what seems to not get any oxygen when I move around more.