• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wessely awarded research medal from Royal College of Physicians

lancelot

Quote from UK parliament(2004):

"His(Wessely) research has taken forward our understanding of CFS/ME in many respects and has widespread respect from the medical/scientific profession. He has received a research medal from the Royal College of Physiciansnot, I hasten to add, the Royal College of Psychiatrists; he has been elected to the Academy of Medical Sciences; and he has received a commendation in the last research assessment exercise, all for his CFS/ME research."

full text: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200304/ldhansrd/vo040122/text/40122-13.htm

DISGUSTING AND SHAMEFUL!!!

eric_s

But it's good to see it's a quote from 2004, not 2010. That would hurt more. We just have to hope we get an answer to the XMRV question now, and if it's that XMRV is causal for CFS then he will be seen as what he is.

Stone

It's absolutely incredible that he can be rewarded for garnering the hatred and disdain of virtually every ME/CFS patient in the UK, as well as many of us in the US who stand in solidarity with our friends across the pond in their suffering under the thumb of this diabolical monster.

The Doctor-Patient disconnect is positively astonishing! I extend my deepest sympathies to my friends in the UK.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Can they take his medal away if they find out he was lying??(big grins)

We wish. Actually you can get stripped of a knighthood, I think - seem to remember Her Maj did that sometime this year, can't remember what for. If that can happen, why not a medal?

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Yeah, did you ever hear of someone who broke their leg hating their surgeon and refusing an operation to get better, or an heart patient bad mouthing their consultant and turning down their triple bypass? No of course not, it just doesn't happen. So to be villified by 1/4 million of more patients all at once, really takes some doing! Oh, I thought that's why he got the medal???? Got to be a worldwide first. :mask:

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Perhaps we should club together and send him an award of our own - kind of like the 'raspberry' award trophy for the worst horror film of the year ... or something ... :tongue: Is this the 'blow a raspberry' icon? Pity we can't do sound Fx on this forum - or maybe its just as well ...

redo

Absurd. Seems like they are hading out medals like flyers...

Hey, where's the medal for the guy behind the S&M version of CBT?? I hear it's less painful than wessely's and it leaves you with a greater sense of self respect...

justinreilly

When I saw this a couple of years ago on wikipedia, I complained to the Royal College of Physicians. They said they had a record of him winning a "Hope" award I think it was but they didn't know what it was for.

I posted a request to the wikipedia Wessely talk page to include the medal he got from the Royal College of Art for raising charlatanary to an art form, but my comment was deleted in two minutes. He has a lot of fans protecting his image over there at wikipedia.

lancelot

When I saw this a couple of years ago on wikipedia, I complained to the Royal College of Physicians. They said they had a record of him winning a "Hope" award I think it was but they didn't know what it was for.

This award was given to him by all ME/CFS patients from around the world called "Hope you die!"

I posted a request to the wikipedia Wessely talk page to include the medal he got from the Royal College of Art for raising charlatanary to an art form, but my comment was deleted in two minutes. He has a lot of fans protecting his image over there at wikipedia.

At least you tried. You see their government controlled media and censorship is hard at work. China has 30K government workers censoring the internet 24/7.