• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weird ridges on fingertips, anyone else?

bread.

Anyone else? With or without EDS?

Attachments

• DE2A6F01-613C-43F1-9461-6D43EA28BD23.jpeg
    DE2A6F01-613C-43F1-9461-6D43EA28BD23.jpeg
    872 KB · Views: 37

pattismith

Could it be related to sympathetic nervous system?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2017/12/07/finger-wrinkles-grip-rain-tread/#.XXJD9W5uI5s

Edit: the wrinkles from sympathetic activation :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2464382/

edit 2:

"Pruney fingers grip better

Theory suggests wrinkling of wet digits evolved for a reason.

Like tread on a tyre, wrinkles on wet fingers channel water away from the fingertip.C. Weekley/Getty
The wrinkles that develop on wet fingers could be an adaptation to give us better grip in slippery conditions, the latest theory suggests.

The hypothesis, from Mark Changizi, an evolutionary neurobiologist at 2AI Labs in Boise, Idaho, and his colleagues goes against the common belief that fingers turn prune-like simply because they absorb water.

Changizi thinks that the wrinkles act like rain treads on tyres. They create channels that allow water to drain away as we press our fingertips on to wet surfaces. This allows the fingers to make greater contact with a wet surface, giving them a better grip.

Scientists have known since the mid-1930s that water wrinkles do not form if the nerves in a finger are severed, implying that they are controlled by the nervous system."

Last edited:
Yes I’ve had this on and off for a while. I’d heard mild dehydration causes pruney fingers too which would make sense with a lot of us having issues in that area.

pattismith

For all of those who have these vertical wrinkles on the finger pulp, we should try the skin wrinkle test to see how we react.
We must put the fingers 5 minutes in water and fingers should look like:

1567800405052.png

Wolfcub

I have this very slightly on right middle finger and right little finger. But a little while ago I noticed them on most fingers. So some have gone away over the last two, three weeks. I had carpal tunnel very badly with a semi paralysed right hand (thumb and index finger paralysed) in 2012, but it's better now, though index finger still a bit numb.

I also had Beau's lines quite deeply on left thumbnail only when my illness began and for 15 months. For 8 weeks now they are fading out which I take as a good sign.
No EDS.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
My mother had severe rheumatoid arthritis, and her fingerprints just disappeared. She used to laugh about it and say she'd make the perfect criminal, if she could only walk.
We used to joke here about financing our medical treatments through crime as we didn’t have fingerprints! Anyone but me have trouble using their phone’s fingerprint recognition to sign in?

From Dr Paul Cheney

Very unusual is the loss of fingerprints on many of the fingers; police departments report it's very rare for fingerprints to be obliterated, yet nearly 40% of CFS patients have some fingerprint obliteration, and 10% cannot be fingerprinted whatsoever. This appears to be related to a periarteritis secondary to fibroblasts congregating in the distal circulation. Cheney suspects that CFS patients, mimicking in many ways a scurvy process, might have scurvy contributing to fingerprint obliteration.

http://www.tldp.com/issue/157-8/157pub.htm

Also there is a page on MEpedia about finger print changes https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Fingerprint_change

pattismith

Yes I’ve had this on and off for a while. I’d heard mild dehydration causes pruney fingers too which would make sense with a lot of us having issues in that area.
i think you are right, because my vertical wrinkles disappear after a bath, and disappear after the night. It only comes back after I am awake for hours...

I noticed something else that might be wrong with me: I put my fingers 10 minutes in water this morning (not cold nor hot), and...Nothing happened...so my skin wrinkle test may be negative...

Before

IMG_1362.jpg

after:
IMG_1367.JPG

valentinelynx

OK, weird, now it's not just my fingerprints disappearing, but my posts about my disappearing fingerprints... I know I replied to this thread. I think I was the first to reply to it. And, @pattismith responded to my reply by asking how I knew I was "unfingerprintable". To which I replied with a story about trying and failing to get fingerprinted for a license application. Where did my posts go? :wide-eyed: And where did @pattismith's reply go?