• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

'Weird as hell’: the Covid-19 patients who have symptoms for months

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
This article on The Guardian has some info about post-covid symptoms. I've bolded one section that points out fever and cough aren't necessary to have Covid19.

There is growing evidence that the virus causes a far greater array of symptoms than was previously understood. And that its effects can be agonisingly prolonged: in Garner’s case for more than seven weeks. The professor at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine says his experience of Covid-19 featured a new and disturbing symptom every day, akin to an “advent calendar”.

He had a muggy head, upset stomach, tinnitus, pins and needles, breathlessness, dizziness and arthritis in the hands. Each time Garner thought he was getting better the illness roared back. It was a sort of virus snakes and ladders. “It’s deeply frustrating. A lot of people start doubting themselves,” he says. “Their partners wonder if there is something psychologically wrong with them.”

Since his piece was published, Garner has received emails and tearful phone calls from grateful readers who thought they were going mad.

According to the latest research, about one in 20 Covid patients experience long-term on-off symptoms. It’s unclear whether long-term means two months, or three or longer.

Prof Tim Spector, of King’s College London, estimates that a small but significant number of people are suffering from the “long tail” form of the virus.

“There is a whole other side to the virus which has not had attention because of the idea that ‘if you are not dead you are fine.’”

As more information becomes available, the [UK] government’s Covid model seems increasingly out of date. Many Covid patients do not develop a fever and cough. Instead they get muscle ache, a sore throat and headache. The app has tracked 15 different types of symptoms, together with a distinct pattern of “waxing and waning”. “I’ve studied 100 diseases. Covid is the strangest one I have seen in my medical career,” Spector says.

Meanwhile Covid “long-termers” have been comparing notes via a Slack support group. It has #60plus-days and #30plus-days chat groups. The dominant feeling is relief that others are in the same grim situation, and that their health problems are not imaginary.

This thread on PR covers more info about post-covid symptoms: New influx of Post Covid Syndrome Patients Shocked at the lack of support from the Medical Profession

Wolfcub

I got an upset gut on March 7th. I did not think that was Covid-19. I thought it was something else, probably connected to ME/CFS. That went on over 3 weeks, waxing and waning. Some days I felt ok.
Then April 2nd I got Covid with all the classic respiratory/fever/weakness symptoms. Yet minus any gut symptoms! During the acute illness and recovery from that, my gut was okay for 2-3 weeks.
Then, as I recovered, the gut symptoms came back. It's now the 46th day since the respiratory symptoms started, and two months ten days since March 7th.
All one and the same thing? I guess it could be.

ebethc

@Wolfcub

I have been on a similar timeline w covid... my first symptoms were eyes so itchy I thought they were going to fall out of my head... doctors were saying if you have itchy eyes, then you have allergies.... Luckily, I didn't bother going to the doctor b/c I knew I had covid and I can't take one more doctor gaslighting me! Also, I didn't have much of a fever or for very long...

interesting.. the whole world is seeing what it's like for doctors to tell ppl they're not sick when, in fact, they are... how does it feel??

YippeeKi YOW !!

interesting.. the whole world is seeing what it's like for doctors to tell ppl they're not sick when, in fact, they are... how does it feel??
I know, right?

There's this small part of me that's ... well, you know, small .... and it's doing this madcap, wild, little " ....told ya so, I told 'ya so....." dance and laughing it's tiny little @ss off about that.

All those people who would shake their heads and look at me with that sad, " ....oh you poor deluded little sap, you ...." when I'd tell them how frustrated and angry I was at the multiple Drs dismissals and " .... it's all in your head ....." gas-lightings I was enduring ..... it was clear that they weren't at all sure the Drs weren't on the right track, because, you know, they're Drs after all :rolleyes::rolleyes: .....

So .... :music: HOW DOES IT FEEEEEEL :music::music:....

ebethc

All those people who would shake their heads and look at me with that sad, " ....oh you poor deluded little sap, you ...." when I'd tell them how frustrated and angry I was at the multiple Drs dismissals and " .... it's all in your head ....." gas-lightings I was enduring ..... it was clear that they weren't at all sure the Drs weren't on the right track, because, you know, they're Drs after all :rolleyes::rolleyes: .....

So .... :music: HOW DOES IT FEEEEEEL:music::music:....

I've come to the conclusion that ppl suck at empathy... I'm not talking about sympathy or compassion (or even agreement), but simply being able to say, "I understand that there are illnesses that doctors don't know anything about or even have the diagnostics to measure; I get that that's possible." Sooo if ppl can't empathize, then the only way they can get it if it happens to them... via covid or the next pandemic or whatever... I still wish this bulls--- pandemic didn't happen, but maybe something good can come of it

YippeeKi YOW !!

I still wish this bulls--- pandemic didn't happen, but maybe something good can come of it
Generally, I've found that people who are low on empathy also have very short memories, and as soon as all this passes, they'll be back to the same old, same old ....empathy seems to be one of those things that you usually just can't learn. You either have it or you don't....

Wayne

empathy seems to be one of those things that you usually just can't learn. You either have it or you don't....

On the other hand, life is always teaching us. While it may be unlikely for somebody who's unable to empathize to learn empathy in this lifetime, it doesn't mean they can't (or won't) learn it--or have life teach it to them--in another. Similar to other traits like patience, discipline, gratitude, perseverence, love, humility, etc. I heard a comment once that went something like, "If we haven't learned humility by the time we get old, we'll usually get a good chance to learn it then! :)

Rufous McKinney

I have been on a similar timeline w covid... my first symptoms were eyes so itchy I thought they were going to fall out of my head... doctors were saying if you have itchy eyes, then you have allergies.... Luckily, I didn't bother going to the doctor b/c I knew I had covid and I can't take one more doctor gaslighting me! Also, I didn't have much of a fever or for very long...

There have been reports of rashes and eye rashes....with COVID

lenora

I got an upset gut on March 7th. I did not think that was Covid-19. I thought it was something else, probably connected to ME/CFS. That went on over 3 weeks, waxing and waning. Some days I felt ok.
Then April 2nd I got Covid with all the classic respiratory/fever/weakness symptoms. Yet minus any gut symptoms! During the acute illness and recovery from that, my gut was okay for 2-3 weeks.
Then, as I recovered, the gut symptoms came back. It's now the 46th day since the respiratory symptoms started, and two months ten days since March 7th.
All one and the same thing? I guess it could be.

Indeed it could be, Wolfcub. We're obviously still at the starting gate as far as this illness is concerned. Let's not be alarmed though until a few weeks and a lot of investigation has been done. I don't want you to worry anymore than is absolutely necessary. It just isn't any fun. Yours Lenora.

ebethc

There have been reports of rashes and eye rashes....with COVID

yes... NOW is a different story... the eye symptoms are now considered a common part of the illness...the point is that the understanding of the illness and symptoms keeps morphing and changing... I got sick in March, so very early on... the "novel" coronavirus means that this is an entirely new type of coronavirus...

If I would have gone to the doctor in March, I would have been gaslit b/c I prob wouldn't have had a fever (fever symptoms were fleeting and very early, as was headache and weird dreams and chills... Oh, and I did call the nurse's line and the nurse told me that unless my teeth were chattering, I did not have chills....um, okay )

Wolfcub

It was announced on the radio news today (UK) that "as a result of extensive research" there is a third Covid sign to watch out for, and that's loss of the senses of smell and taste. Those with that are presumed to have Covid-19 now.

That was reported weeks/months ago anyway. And why just that? No other symptoms mentioned. Certainly not gut symptoms, and those never have been, on official announcements.
"Extensive research"? There are reports of all sorts of symptoms from many thousands of people all over the world, yet those weren't mentioned.
Apparently now in UK it's three things: new continuous cough, fever, and loss of sense of smell.

I never lost my sense of smell or taste. But I am convinced I was walking around with Covid gut symptoms only for almost a month before I knew I'd got it! Okay -nothing I can do about it now, and the only person I had close contact with during that time didn't come down with anything, fortunately...but I wish I'd known.

lenora

yes... NOW is a different story... the eye symptoms are now considered a common part of the illness...the point is that the understanding of the illness and symptoms keeps morphing and changing... I got sick in March, so very early on... the "novel" coronavirus means that this is an entirely new type of coronavirus...

If I would have gone to the doctor in March, I would have been gaslit b/c I prob wouldn't have had a fever (fever symptoms were fleeting and very early, as was headache and weird dreams and chills... Oh, and I did call the nurse's line and the nurse told me that unless my teeth were chattering, I did not have chills....um, okay )

And then 5 minutes later when your teeth did begin to chatter, the office is closed, right? This is an ever-changing story this illness. Every day something is added and something is taken away. I'm sorry that you have to go through it. Yours, Lenora

ebethc

And then 5 minutes later when your teeth did begin to chatter, the office is closed, right? This is an ever-changing story this illness. Every day something is added and something is taken away. I'm sorry that you have to go through it. Yours, Lenora

thanks ;-)

i went downhill pretty fast... before long, there was no way I could have even physically gotten to doctor, and I was in rip van winkle mode

YippeeKi YOW !!

While it may be unlikely for somebody who's unable to empathize to learn empathy in this lifetime, it doesn't mean they can't (or won't) learn it--or have life teach it to them--in another.
Uhhh .... unfortunately, that waiting period exceeds my attention span, so I'll just go with my current practice of blessing them, and moving away as fast as civility allows ....

lenora

They just make this stuff up it appears. Teeth never chatter.

Hi Rufous......Many years ago it was winter and Rod decided to put down wooden floors in the kitchen area of our house. We had to turn the heat off and open the windows (because of the fumes & since his CA he's hyper-sensitive to fumes). Well, I sat with him and downed a hot mug of tea. A short while later, my teeth began to chatter, as in chattering teeth. I'd never been so cold in my life, and nothing would warm me up.

To make a long story short....my teeth chattered (kept hitting each other) for over 24 hrs. I have big problems with temperature regulation and I guess the cold set it off. Usually it happens and is then followed by a hot spell, but not in this case. We went to bed late, late....and I had my electric blanket on, a nightgown and bathrobe over it, socks...and chattering teeth well into the next day. Actually that wasn't the only attack I ever had, but it was the worst. So, in certain circumstances, chattering teeth do occur. Watch out for them...pleasant they aren't.

Ebthc.....The next time a nurse starts down the teeth path, tell her that your enamels won't stay out of each other's way. As soon as you arrive, mention that it just stopped! I wouldn't mind if you could call back and be told to come in immediately. But no, these things usually occur late on a Friday afternoon!! Why is that? Has a study been done...there has to be some correlation between illnesses beginning on a Friday afternoon. I can't remember having one that hasn't.

Wolfcub

My "chills" were bordering on literal mild hypothermia at first. 35C) but within a few hours that became fever. The next day a reddened bloodshot right eye plus red-orange pee which was a freaky thing to see in the toilet bowl. That only lasted one day. I was beyond caring about peripheral damage at that point, but had no kidney pain so let that go.....

I do remember the first night, waking up in the pre-dawn with my teeth chattering slightly, and shivers in my body.

Sometimes the "red eye" is mentioned in the possible symptoms list, and sometimes it's not. What the transitory red pee was about is anyone's guess, but it was gone the next day.

lenora

Wow, Wolfcub, you most certainly did have an unusual round of events, didn't you? Yes, red-orange urine would be a freaky thing to witness, but it sounds as if at that point you didn't care. You just wanted to get back to a safe, warm place....your bed.

So you've had the teeth chatters also, huh? You don't know what to feel, although I distinctly remember just freezing. I pay attention when my body temp. begins to drop. The funny thing is that I never really run a fever. Good luck to the researchers trying to figure all this out!!

I hope you're feeling stronger, Wolfcub, how do you think you're doing? Yours, Lenora.