• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weed-killing chemical linked to cancer found in some children's breakfast foods

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Weed-killing chemical linked to cancer found in some children's breakfast foods
A new report found glyphosate, a weed-killing chemical that some health authorities link to cancer, in a number of popular breakfast foods and cereals marketed to children. The study by the non-profit Environmental Working Group (EWG) discovered trace amounts of the most widely used herbicide in the country in oats, granolas and snack bars. Thirty-one out of 45 tested products had levels higher than what some scientists consider safe for children.

Recently, some scientists, doctors and activists around the world have worked to keep glyphosate out of crops due to concerns that it is a dangerous carcinogen.

"We're very concerned that consumers are eating more glyphosate than they know," said Scott Faber, vice president of government affairs at EWG. He has been working to improve food safety standards for more than a decade. He said he and his team at EWG had a lab test involving "45 samples of products made with conventionally grown oats" and found glyphosate – the active ingredient in the Monsanto weed-killer Roundup – in all but two.

"I was shocked," said Dr. Jennifer Lowry, who heads the Council on Environmental Health for the American Academy of Pediatrics.

"We don't know a lot about the effects of glyphosate on children," Lowry said. "And essentially we're just throwing it at them."

Breakfast With a Dose of Roundup?
Each year, more than 250 million pounds of glyphosate are sprayed on American crops, primarily on “Roundup-ready” corn and soybeans genetically engineered to withstand the herbicide. But when it comes to the food we eat, the highest glyphosate levels are not found in products made with GMO corn.

Increasingly, glyphosate is also sprayed just before harvest on wheat, barley, oats and beans that are not genetically engineered. Glyphosate kills the crop, drying it out so that it can be harvested sooner than if the plant were allowed to die naturally.

For those of us suffering MCS, this could be valuable information. ;)

SilverbladeTE

these chemicals are much worse than being merely "carcinogens"
also, as I've warned over the years, the synergistic effects of poisons are vastly under rated for enormous harm
for example

my area was deluged with pollution form enormous steel factories
AND cars were belching out tetraethyl lead in their fumes
AND other poisons form poorly regulated and often criminally run factories (very easy to bribe or ignore problems here back then, especially when so many form police to judges were part of the same Masonic lodge...)
they burned RADIUM waste from clock making factory my dad worked in, they didn't know, bosses sure as hell did, and officially it was "safe"...right next to 2 housing estates, a school and a fairy farm.
hence, we have life expectancy worse than North Korea.

Mary

Moderator Resource
This is horrific - another reason to go keto!

Increasingly, glyphosate is also sprayed just before harvest on wheat, barley, oats and beans that are not genetically engineered. Glyphosate kills the crop, drying it out so that it can be harvested sooner than if the plant were allowed to die naturally.

I know that Roundup is sprayed everywhere. My neighbors use it, it's sold at Home depot so it must be safe, right?

I saw the story about the $289 million award the other day and also that there are thousands more lawsuits against Monsanto in the pipeline - I'm just wondering what will happen on appeal.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
These are not just "children's foods," many of these are consumed by adults, although children are the most vulnerable.
https://www.ewg.org/childrenshealth/glyphosate
Glyphosate Was Found on Most Samples of Oat-Based Foods

Type of Food Product Name Glyphosate (ppb)*
Sample 1
Sample 2 Sample 3
Granola Nature's Path Organic Honey Almond granola ND** ND
Back to Nature Classic Granola 620 170
Quaker Simply Granola Oats, Honey, Raisins & Almonds 430 400
Back to Nature Banana Walnut Granola Clusters 30 30 340
Nature Valley Granola Protein Oats 'n Honey 220 170
KIND Vanilla, Blueberry Clusters with Flax Seeds 50 60
Instant Oats Giant Instant Oatmeal, Original Flavor 760
Simple Truth Organic Instant Oatmeal, Original ND ND
Quaker Dinosaur Eggs, Brown Sugar, Instant Oatmeal 620 780
Great Value Original Instant Oatmeal 450

Umpqua Oats, Maple Pecan 220 220
Market Pantry Instant Oatmeal, Strawberries & Cream 120 520
Oat Breakfast Cereal Kashi Heart to Heart Organic Honey Toasted cereal ND ND
Cheerios Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cereal 490 470 530
Lucky Charms**** 400 230
Barbara's Multigrain Spoonfuls, Original, Cereal 340 300
Kellogg’s Cracklin’ Oat Bran oat cereal 250 120
Snack Bar Cascadian Farm Organic Harvest Berry, granola bar ND ND
KIND Oats & Honey with Toasted Coconut ND 120
Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars, Oats 'n Honey 340 120
Quaker Chewy Chocolate Chip granola bar 120 160
Kellogg’s Nutrigrain Soft Baked Breakfast Bars, Strawberry 30 80
Whole Oats 365 Organic Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats ND ND
Quaker Steel Cut Oats 530 290
Quaker Old Fashioned Oats 390 1100 1300
Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats 300 ND
Nature's Path Organic Old Fashioned Organic Oats 30 20
Whole Foods Bulk Bin conventional rolled oats 10 40
Bob's Red Mill Organic Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (4 samples tested) ND 10 20, 20*

Gingergrrl

Thank you for posting that list of products @CFS_for_19_years and I brought the Nature Valley granola bars (oats & honey or chocolate chip) with me as a snack when I did IVIG infusions for two years b/c they are so easy to put in my purse. Those mother f*ckers at Monsanto. I had no idea Glyphosate was in our foods. I will never buy this product again. I am so happy Monsanto just lost that lawsuit although they have destroyed so many lives.

Gingergrrl

This is the reason we bake our own bread using organic flour.

I wish I had the knowledge or skill to do something like that but I am in the process of learning how to cook some pretty basic stuff right now! It seems like the affected products all involve oats (which I will no longer be buying).

Gingergrrl

We cheat by using an automatic bread making machine. Very easy!

Would this work for someone who is gluten-free? I feel like even with a machine, I still would not have a clue what to do! At the moment, I am cooking basic thinks like soups, salads, omelets, buying ground beef, lamb, or turkey and making them into patties which I freeze, etc.

rel8ted

Having Celiac disease has taught me that oats contain wheat cross contamination due to being stored in the same silos and harvested with the same equipment as wheat. Why? Because they CAN be grown on the same fields in rotation. Purity protocol oats are grown and harvested by growers that only produce oats and no wheat. However, I suspect (just a theory) that if wheat can be grown in the same field as oats that we may find out later it is also contaminated. If we are fed information in small doses, it's easier to swallow. Like the Equifax breach, which was revealed in stages.

Also, are we certain that this stuff does not stay in the soil or contaminate water supplies?

rel8ted

Would this work for someone who is gluten-free? I feel like even with a machine, I still would not have a clue what to do! At the moment, I am cooking basic thinks like soups, salads, omelets, buying ground beef, lamb, or turkey and making them into patties which I freeze, etc.
There is a huge learning curve to baking GF versus wheat-based. I think you would be surprised by some of the gums and fillers in GF breads to get them to "rise". Gluten is what make bread light, airy, and tall. Recreating that in a GF loaf is an accomplishment. I found that I felt much better not eating GF replacements bc most of them are just junk food masquerading as healthy, but that is my opinion as I could not digest them well.

If you can eats almonds or like coconut, you may find some of the keto "breads" easier to prepare and more palatable. Not saying you should go full keto, just that you may like some of the "breads".

HowToEscape?

Juries reach conclusions based on who has the most charismatic argument, not who has the best scientific evidence. Talcum powder doesn’t cause cancer to any appreciable extent, It’s simply rock dust. it does not have the special properties of black asbestos fibers which are 100% natural and quite dangerous. If you torture the statistics hard enough, you can find a link between just about anything and cancer. California was about to place winnings on coffee cups, but they had so many legislators who rely on coffee every day that they squashed that one.

The deep pocket is always the target in a lawsuit, and lawyers spend their entire lives finding the most talented teams to recruit & manipulate juries who want to play Robin Hood.

Nothing is 100% safe, people have died from drinking too much water.*
Glyhosphate is safer than other herbicides, much safer than most. It’s safer than copper sulfate, which is used in organic farming. There is no magic garden of Eden to go back to.

* A recent case happened after a contest sponsored by radio station in California KDND-FM (107.9). The radio station have been told that such a contest could be fatal, but they swatted away the warning, saying “we have them sign a waiver”.
The deceased was a 28-year-old woman, with no existing health problems.

Last edited:

kelly8

I wish I had the knowledge or skill to do something like that but I am in the process of learning how to cook some pretty basic stuff right now! It seems like the affected products all involve oats (which I will no longer be buying).

I believe they only tested oats in this study. There are plenty of other crops that get douced with glyphosate. Monsanto should be burned at the stake for poisoning everyone and covering it up to make money. Jerks.

Revel

This is the reason we bake our own bread using organic flour.
The "organic" label is no guarantee, judging by the number of organic products on the above list found to contain glyphosate.

Our neighbour is an organic farmer. Has he been known to spray his crops with chemicals prohibited on an organic farm? Yes, you bet. He advertises his cattle as "organic grass-fed beef" and rakes the money in. Where does he buy his winter fodder to feed his cattle? From cheap, non-organic sources, that's where. Claims all the subsidies allowable for organic farmers and sells his "organic" produce at a premium. He is not alone.

Gingergrrl

Monsanto should be burned at the stake for poisoning everyone and covering it up to make money.

Agreed.

The "organic" label is no guarantee, judging by the number of organic products on the above list found to contain glyphosate.

That makes it even more horrifying thinking you are shopping at Whole Foods and buying "Organic, grass-fed, hormone & antibiotic free" meat but you might be buying products with glyphosate and toxic ingredients after all :bang-head:

boolybooly

That would explain a few things.

I suspect this has happened with soya as well. I used to be able to eat it and then sometime in the late 90's and early 20's it started making me ill.

antares4141

Having Celiac disease has taught me that oats contain wheat cross contamination due to being stored in the same silos and harvested with the same equipment as wheat. Why? Because they CAN be grown on the same fields in rotation.

Not likely on foods labeled "gluten free". At least not likely to exceed 20ppm the limit set by authorities for foods carrying that label.

I'm not a certified celiac, but I often wonder weather I react to GF Oats also.

HowToEscape?

That would explain a few things.

I suspect this has happened with soya as well. I used to be able to eat it and then sometime in the late 90's and early 20's it started making me ill.

Then why not buy some soy from your usual source(s) and send it to a certified lab to find it has any meaningful amount of glyphosphate residue? Just guessing whether this contains that will only give you worries, and zero information you can act on.