• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Warning from the UK ME Association about antibiotic use

Thinktank

I've been misdiagnosed with lyme by Dr. de Meirleir and put on longterm antibiotics for years. My health has been gutted because of that, in hindsight i can attest that longterm usage of antibiotics may cause severe complications.
Ciprofloxacin, an antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone-class triggered my ME and some other complications.... Pure poison.

Moof

Sorry you were so unlucky. I often wonder whether my ME is partly the result of living on penicillin as a kid in the 1960s – I had the continuous ear infections/glue ear common in autistic kids, and in those days they'd no idea how damaging antibiotics can be in the long term. (I'm allergic to a lot of them now!)

ljimbo423

Sorry you were so unlucky. I often wonder whether my ME is partly the result of living on penicillin as a kid in the 1960s – I had the continuous ear infections/glue ear common in autistic kids, and in those days they'd no idea how damaging antibiotics can be in the long term. (I'm allergic to a lot of them now!)

I think the 35-40 courses of antibiotics I took over many years had a definite impact on me developing CFS.

I had many ear infections etc. as a kid too. Then I started getting bronchitis once or twice a year for many years, after a cold or a flu.

I actually think antibiotics were the #1 cause of my CFS, although I also had a very bad diet, drank a lot, had enormous amounts of stress in my life too.

Which I think also contributed to my CFS, to a lesser degree though.

ljimbo423

I can already see the documentaries about the 'antibiotics age', where the presenters are shaking their heads in disbelief about how stupid we were...

I couldn't agree more. It often takes years or even decades for research to find devastating side effects of drugs.

With antibiotics, I think they are just really starting to open the door to see how far reaching the consequences of over-prescribing can be.

Runner5

Last time I needed antibiotics I couldn't get them and my doctor told me, "you have no idea how dangerous these are." So yeah, the days of antibiotics are coming to an end. Now if we could get them out of animal agriculture...

Markus83

They are warning about fluorchinolones and not about antibiotics as a whole. It is known for years that the *floxacins are very dangerous medications and you have nearly always much safer alternatives. Some people profit from long term antibiotics, but you have to make sure that you really have a chronic bacterial infection that causes your problems. Nonetheless, I wouldn't take fluorochinolones unless I have a life threatening infection for which there is no alternative antibiotic available.

Gondwanaland

I actually think antibiotics were the #1 cause of my CFS,
Same here, but could never recover from bacterial infections (mostly lung/sinuses) without them.

So we might have an underlying immunity issue leading to increased abx need.

I suspect allergies monopolize my immune resources ==> what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Last edited:

ljimbo423

Same here, but could never recover from bacterial infections (mostly lung/sinuses) without them.

So we might have an underlying immunity issue leading to increased abx need.

I suspect allergies monopolize my immune resources ==> what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

I also needed many courses of antibiotics to get rid of my infections. I was never told how detrimental they could be to my health though because the doctors were never taught this.

I think allergies can come first but in many cases or most, it's antibiotics that are causing dysbiois and increased intestinal permeability, which often leads to allergies and a weaken immunity from the translocation of bacterial toxins into the bloodstream.

Many people get at least a few courses of antibiotics in the first 5 years of their lives. Leading to dysbiosis rate from the start.

Doctors should be educating their patients on how many health consequences are tied to dysbiosis from antibiotics. They should also inform their patients to take prebiotics and probiotics to help re-balance their microbiota from antibiotics that have to be taken.

I think the effect of antibiotic usage is cumulative and is passed from generation to generation. A baby gets is initial inoculation for it's microbiota (gut bacteria) from the mothers birth canal during delivery.

Each generation of mothers have more and more dysbiosis being passed on to the children because of the use and over-prescribing of anti-biotics without being told by their doctors how many health problems are connected to dysbiosis.

Then the children get more antibiotics, very often when they are babies for different things. Which often gives them a very poor start to good health.

This graph below shows a dramatic increase in immune system disorders since the 1950's.

The first antibiotics became widely available in the 1940's. I think there is a direct connection between the increase in immune system disorders and antibiotic use.

As the graph shows, there is a dramatic rise in Multiple Sclerosis, Asthma, Type 1 Diabetes, Crohn's disease and I'm sure others as well that are not shown.

upload_2018-8-1_11-30-6.png

Had I known about herbs like Echinacea, Astragalus, Reishi etc, when I kept getting bacterial infections, I'm confident I would not have needed most of the antibiotics I had to take.

My son never needed 1 course of antibiotics for the 6 years I had sole custody of him. I think the main reason for that is that every time he got sick I gave him high enough doses of immune boosting herbs.

The herbs kept his immune system high enough that he didn't develop secondary bacterial infections from colds or flus and therefore didn't need antibiotics.

I think dysbiosis and increased intestinal permeability (leak gut), because of it's detrimental effects on the immune system and it's involvement in so many different diseases, is going to be one the biggest areas of research in the coming years.