• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Waking at 1:25-3:20-5:30 everynight...

*GG*

@UrbanT,

I have taken Acetaminophen on a continuous basis for the last year 24/7 for pain, I have heard it is/can be bad for you. None of us live forever! I barely take "tylenol" now though, pain has subsided a lot. I learned from a Fibro pain flare up last fall that if you do not keep your pain in check, then you can go into a Flare up, wish I had known that before!

GG

SOC

I always wonder why so many people including doctors recommend Tylenol PM. I would never take acetaminophen on a regular basis because it is so dangerous for the liver. The sleep-inducing ingredient in Tylenol PM (diphenhydramine) is available in the formulation called Simply Sleep; the acetaminophen itself does nothing for sleep. If I needed something for pain I would take something other than acetaminophen anyway.

Good point re: Tylenol PM. I was told, basically, that getting good sleep far outweighed the risks of taking Tylenol PM daily. However, if the diphenhydramine is available alone, then why the Tylenol part? I know that for me, at least, there's sometimes pain/stiffness that doesn't bother me much during the day, but does affect my ability to fall asleep, so that might be the argument for an analgesic. Still, I'd rather take my analgesic of choice (or alternate them, perhaps) when I need it than take acetaminophen daily.

Thanks for the info, urbantravels -- I'll look for Simply Sleep.

SOC

Good point re: Tylenol PM. I was told, basically, that getting good sleep far outweighed the risks of taking Tylenol PM daily. However, if the diphenhydramine is available alone, then why the Tylenol part? I know that for me, at least, there's sometimes pain/stiffness that doesn't bother me much during the day, but does affect my ability to fall asleep, so that might be the argument for an analgesic. Still, I'd rather take my analgesic of choice (or alternate them, perhaps) when I need it than take acetaminophen daily.

Thanks for the info, urbantravels -- I'll look for Simply Sleep.

Duh! Benadryl. All this time and I didn't realize.... I take too much stuff.... Thought I was paying attention, but obviously I let that one get by me. Sheesh.

soxfan

Okay so this is really becoming a problem for me...I had this again last night. I worked yesterday and went to bed extremely exhausted but woke at those same times 1:30, 3:15 ( this time my body was vibrating really badly) and 5:30 (I was sweating which I think is what woke me). I wasn't hungry any of these times and actually ate almonds a little before bed. I have been tapering cortef and am actually off at this point. I am wondering if my cortef is very low which is waking me or if my adrenals have kicked in and my cortef is too high.

My last blood cortisol was 8.2 at 8am so I am thinking it isn't high at night....It doesn't matter what I take for sleep meds either during this. I still wake up and of course today I will be useless because I feel drained, exhausted and just plain terrible. Anyway thanks for listening again....

Kim

leaves

Hey there
I now have this too! I wake up at 2.30 am, feeling very hot and awake. Takes me a long time to get back to sleep. And then I cant wake up until 10am.
What would this be? Gastric ulcers, adrenals, hypoglycemia??

Kim, sorry you're having such a hard time. Seems particularly cruel to deprive us of sleep when we need our rest so desperately ... Anyway, some thoughts on this:

1) I just read on a fibromyalgia site about low blood sugar leading to adrenaline spikes; liver dumps stored blood sugar, levels out blood sugar, but leaves the adrenaline. The point of the post I read was that this can lead to waking up with anxiety and/or panic attacks. Doesn't quite sound like your situation, but thought I'd mention it.

2) I don't know what, if any, spiritual beliefs you have, but many books I've read talk about people waking up in the night-- like being awakened-- and seeing it as an opportunity for tuning-in-- meditating, prayer, whatever. Not just, oh I might as well since I'm awake; rather, they felt that they were being awakened because it was the right time. (Middle of the night is very "quiet" on the astral plane ... :) )

Personally, I take an Ambien, and I'm out for the night, and I still freak out when I have insomnia ... So, I'm not making light of this. Just mentioning what came to mind. But I sincerely hope you figure out what's going on and get some deep, delicious sleep.

SOC

Hey there
I now have this too! I wake up at 2.30 am, feeling very hot and awake. Takes me a long time to get back to sleep. And then I cant wake up until 10am.
What would this be? Gastric ulcers, adrenals, hypoglycemia??

Hormone issue? Do you happen to be "a lady of a certain age"?

soxfan

I had an appt. with my doctor today..I am not waking up all hours of the night anymore but still have totally unrefreshing sleep. This has been a problem for me for a long time and one of my worse. How can I even had a decent day when I wake up tired and very unrested?? So he is having me try 5 HTP I think the name is. I have to go to the drug store to purchase it. I sleep well with lunesta but apparently it isn't a good sleep...have tried everything but can't take anything that is sedating..not even a fraction of the dose so we are going to try this.
I will let you all know how it works...

leaves

Try getting the time released one
Btw I've heard many reports of people with the sane problem that cured it with taking 200mg phospatidylserine daily and that this enabled them (after some weeks) to sleep through the night

soxfan

thanks leaves...i will check tomorrow when i go to the drug store. i usually sleep through the night but wake up very tired and like i haven't slept at all. i have to give this a try since i can't tolerate much else.

For the past at least 3 weeks my sleep has become very poor. I had been sleeping well for over a year or more. But now I have been waking up at the exact same times everynight. I am not sweating or hungry...I just kind of feel an inner vibration in my chest area but it is not my heart. More like cell phones vibrating in my body.
I am just curious if anyone experiences this..I think it is strange that it is just about the same times everynight.
I usually can fall back to sleep pretty quickly unless it is an adrenaline surge night...

Ideas anyone??? Thanks

Hey dear member, you should consult to a doctor and have a complete check up of this.... Because this symptom is not good of having awakening in the night. It much disturbs you in your life and your daily routine also.... So please consult to a good physician.