• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VITAMIN K1! Help!!

tootsieroll

Ok I may have overdone it on Vitamin k1 for profuse bleeding. I feel flush with some tingling in left foot. Im doomed either way. Don’t take and i’m bleeding and take and i end up feeling flush. I am deficient in vitamin K and it is helping thr bleeding but the dose was too high at 1mg. It was the only dose that worked. If I stopped, will body use up the vitamin k1?

pamojja

There have been published accounts of super high intakes of vitamin K, with no toxic effect. A 39 year old male deliberately ingested a superwarfarin product. To counteract the dose, he was given 200 milligrams a day of vitamin K1 for five months without any adverse effects (Sheen et al, 1994).

In 2003, a young man was brought to the emergency room after eating four boxes of brodifacoum, a lethal vitamin K antagonist, over four days, plus pieces of glass. He was treated for both the glass and the poisoning, for which they gave him 300 milligrams of vitamin K1 a day. 28 days after discharge he returned, as he had not maintained the vitamin K1 intake. During the second treatment, his vitamin K1 dosage was increased to 800 milligrams a day. At a five month follow-up he was doing well.

Recently, an article was published discussing the differential diagnosis of rat poisoning and treatment in two separate cases. In one case the patient had taken a long-acting rat poison. He was given 75 milligrams of vitamin K1, twice a day for over four months so as to stabilize his coagulation system and restore it to relative normality. In the second case, a woman was treated with 100 milligrams of vitamin K daily for 2 days, which restored her coagulation function. In a general discussion of treatment options, it was recommended to administer vitamin K at doses of 50 milligrams a day or higher intravenously, and then shifting to oral doses of 100 milligrams a day, for three to six months, and sometimes for more than a year (Schulman & Furie, 2014). The highest reported dose has been 400 milligrams daily (Spahr et al, 2007).

Sources found at the bottom of this page: https://www.k-vitamins.com/index.php?page=research-view-all&id=16

Personally I've taken about 5mg K1, 15mg K2-mk4, and 0,5mg of K2-mk7 daily for the last 14 years in average. No ill effect. But a walking disability from PAD in remission for 7 years.

Everyone is different though, I experienced never a flush from vitamin K, and the intense fluhing from 3g/d niacin is now a distant memory for me too.

Last edited:

LINE

I am no expert in Vitamin K but I read that K is associated with Vitamin D, is the K metabolizing correctly in the absence of adequate Vit D levels?

What about the difference between K1 and K2?

pamojja

but I read that K is associated with Vitamin D, is the K metabolizing correctly in the absence of adequate Vit D levels?
Simplified, the association is rather that vitamin D is needed for absorbtion of calcium, with more calcium absorbed vitamin K is needed to direct it to the proper place - to bones for example, and not to the calcification of artheries.

What about the difference between K1 and K2?
Some excerpts from a above website:
* Phylloquinone and menaquinones differ in source, absorption rates, tissue distribution, bioavailability, and target activity. Early research suggested that certain menaquinones may be the predominant form of vitamin K found in extra-hepatic tissues and may be affected by diet, gender, and age (Huber et al, 1999). There is ongoing research to highlight and summarizes differences between vitamin K1 and K2 in intake and function, beyond coagulation (Wen et al, 2018; Halder et al, 2019; Simes et al, 2020). This new information will contribute to foster the use of vitamin K as a health-promoting supplement, which may prevent a wide range of disabling diseases (Wei et al, 2019), and which could meet the increasing consumer demand.

* In humans, at least 17 different VKDPs, which are also known as Gla proteins, have been identified to date, and are generally referred to as hepatic and extra-hepatic VKDPs, according to the synthesis location (Willems, Vermeer et al, 2014). The hepatic group of VKDPs synthesized in the liver are essential for regulating blood coagulation and comprise the coagulation factors II, VII, IX, and X, and the anti-coagulation proteins C, S, and Z. Extra-hepatic VKDPs include matrix Gla protein (MGP), osteocalcin (OC), Gla-rich protein (GRP), growth arrest-specific protein 6 (Gas6), proline-rich Gla proteins (PRGP1 and 2), transmembrane Gla proteins (TMG3 and 4), periostin, and the GGCX enzyme. These extra-hepatic VKDPs, which are mostly known for their protective role in the bone and cardiovascular system, exhibit a broad tissue distribution and are involved in a wide range of biological functions such as bone homeostasis, ectopic calcification, cell differentiation and proliferation, inflammation, and signal transduction (Parker et al, 2009; Calvo et al 1996; Schurgers, 2005). The widespread expression of MGP points to its role in maintaining microvascular integrity and preserving the structure and function of vital organs, including the retina (Wei et al, 2018), kidney (Wei et al, 2016; Puzantian et al, 2018) and heart (Willems et al, 2014; Andrews et al, 2018) and bone (Ducy et al, 1996; Levinger et al, 2017).

* Vitamin K2, or menaquinones, have been found to improve mitochondria functioning in cells. Mitochondria are unique structures in the cells of people. They serve as batteries, generating energy and powering the cell and the body. They also synthesize and package proteins for transport to different parts of the cell and beyond, and contribute to neurological functioning. Damaged mitochondria have been implicated in such diseases as Parkinson's Disease, cancer, Alzheimer's Disease, and ALS, a progressive neurological disease that impairs nerve functioning to the muscles. (Schapira, 2006; Alam, et al 2016, Seyfried, 2015; Anandatheerthavarada et al 2003; Devi et al 2006; Manczak et al 2006; Reddy & Beal 2008; Martin et al 2007; Martin et al 2009).