• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin D

Hi 👋🏼
I am familiar with having detox symptoms related to taking B vitamins. I recently started taking some liquid vitamin D because I tested low for that and it’s really making me feel awful! Dizzy, headachy, nauseous, etc. I was just wondering if anyone has had this experience and if you needed to build up to a certain level slowly. Thanks.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Was your heart racing I wonder? That could indicate too high a dose.

Also, it could be the brand. I tried drops too and they did not make me feel well.

Check for product recalls as well because the brand of drop I used years ago had a product recall. They realized a batch was not made right and that the dosage was much much higher than the box indicated. At the time, they were sending out replacements. Not saying that's the issue but I imagine something like that could happen again.

Still even the replacement version did not make me feel well.

I like Prohealth Vitamin D3. I use the D3 extreme about once a week but they also have ones in the smaller of doses of 1000iu and 5000iu.

Plus, I have to take it with K2 or I get leg cramps.

Anyway, hope you figure it out. D3 is one of the things that gives me a slight boost. I'm finding though that it causes my body to use up other nutrients (like Vitamin C and choline) faster so be mindful of that as well.

Last edited:
If you are having that reaction, then yes I would start at a lower dosage.

What dosage are you taking?
My doctor wants me to take 10,000 IU for a time and then reduce to 5,000 IU. But I am feeling awful with just 4,000. I haven’t even tried 5,000 yet.

Was your heart racing I wonder? That could indicate too high a dose.

Also, it could be the brand. I tried drops too and they did not make me feel well.

Check for product recalls as well because the brand of drop I used years ago had a product recall. They realized a batch was not made right and that the dosage was much much higher than the box indicated. At the time, they were sending out replacements. Not saying that's the issue but I imagine something like that could happen again.

Still even the replacement version did not make me feel well.

I like Prohealth Vitamin D3. I use the D3 extreme about once a week but they also have ones in the smaller of doses of 1000iu and 5000iu.

Plus, I have to take it with K2 or I get leg cramps.

Anyway, hope you figure it out. D3 is one of the things that gives me a slight boost. I'm finding though that it causes my body to use up other nutrients (like Vitamin C and choline) faster so be mindful of that as well.
Thanks! Lots of good information there. I will definitely look into recalls and go low and slow with it. My heart isn’t racing, but I definitely feel “speedy.” :( Not in a good way.

Crux

I was just wondering if anyone has had this experience and if you needed to build up to a certain level slowly. Thanks.

This happened to me when my calcium intake was too low. It took over a year of taking calcium to be able to use vitamin D transdermally . This is pretty extreme, but it did help.

LINE

Is there anything in the preparation that your body (immune system) may be reacting to?

This happened to me when my calcium intake was too low. It took over a year of taking calcium to be able to use vitamin D transdermally . This is pretty extreme, but it did help.
Thankyou. I will look into this.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Hi @BMO66 .....

I had similar problems when I was trying to add Vit D3 back into my vit/supps regimen.

I had to cut absolutely everything out about 2 years or so before that, because I was extremely reactive to anything except water and a few young cheeses (less histamine, glutamate). It wasn't a fun time.

When I started tying to add back Vit D3, I reacted surprizngly strongly to a low-normal dose of D3, about 1000 IU, after which I looked for baby/child drops, and found something from MaryRuth I think it was. Started taking truly miniscule doses, around 100 IU a day.

I was able to gradually increase that dosage, and now am taking THORNE LABS Vit D3 (500 IU per 1 drop), 6000 IU a day, along with MK7 with no bad effects or unpleasant reactions ....

EDIT I ..... The Thorne D3 that I use is in a base of Medium Chain Triglycerides (which convert effortlessly to energy, without stressing your system) with a small amount of mixed tocopherols (Vit E)

EDIT II .... I get soooooo flucking tired of correcting typos. You'd think I'd learn to type, but no .....

Last edited:
Hi @BMO66 .....

I had similar problems when I was trying to add Vit D3 back into my vit/supps regimen.

I had to cut absolutely everything out about 2 years or so before that, because I was extremely reactive to anything except water and a few young cheeses (less histamine, glutamate). It wasn't a fun time.

When I started tying to add back Vit D3, I reacted surprizngly strongly to a low-normal dose of D3, about 1000 IU, after which I looked for baby/child drops, and found something from MaryRuth I think it was. Started taking truly miniscule doses, around 100 IU a day.

I was able to gradually increase that dosage, and now am taking THORNE LABS Vit D3 (500 IU per 1 drop), 6000 IU a day, along with MK7 with no bad effects or unpleasant reactions ....

EDIT I ..... The Thorne D3 that I use is in a base of Medium Chain Triglycerides (which convert effortlessly to energy, without stressing your system) with a small amount of mixed tocopherols (Vit E)

EDIT II .... I get soooooo flucking tired of correcting typos. You'd think I'd learn to type, but no .....[/QUOTE
Thankyou ! I am taking Ortho Molecular and I seem to be able to tolerate 1 drop a day, which is 1000 IU. It’s nice to know other folks have had the same issue. I know I’m like the most sensitive person on the planet…

kangaSue

Are you getting sufficient taurine in your diet as it can play a role in vitamin D absorption?
Due to chronic GI issues, the only route I tolerate Vit D is via intramuscular injections (was getting 100,000iu every 2 months) but I wasn't able to hold onto it in my system until I started supplementing taurine which was also deficient in my diet. I now only need an injection every six months to maintain the Vit D level.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34024513/

YippeeKi YOW !!

@BMO66
Are you getting sufficient taurine in your diet as it can play a role in vitamin D absorption?
It depends on the individual system.

While taurine can modulate calcium release, which could partly explain it's help in metabolizing and utilizing D3, it's also one of 4 amino-thiols, so if you're sensitive to sulfur, it may not have the same effect as it would otherwise, and could actually create uncomfortable problems.

At the same time that I was reactive to, like, everything :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, I discovered that I'd developed an extreme sensitivity to sulfurs, from selenomethionine to taurine, cysteine, MSM, etc.

Once I stabilized, everything slowly, gradually returned to normal, but before that, taurine made me want to peel my skin off and knit it into a tea cozy ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

@BMO66

Since your response to my post was enclosed in the pink response box, I can't quote it, so have to copy and paste.

"It’s nice to know other folks have had the same issue.
I know I’m like the most sensitive person on the planet…"
I think the longer you hang out here on PR, the more kindred, sensitive souls you'll meet. It seems to be one of the hallmarks of this crappy little ball-peen hammer of an illness ....

:ninja:
Due to chronic GI issues, the only route I tolerate Vit D is via intramuscular injections (was getting 100,000iu every 2 months) but I wasn't able to hold onto it in my system until I started supplementing taurine which was also deficient in my diet. I now only need an injection every six months to maintain the Vit D level.
@BMO66

Since your response to my post was enclosed in the pink response box, I can't quote it, so have to copy and paste.

I think the longer you hang out here on PR, the more kindred, sensitive souls you'll meet. It seems to be one of the hallmarks of this crappy little ball-peen hammer of an illness ....
@BMO66

@YippeeKi YOW !!
Thanks for that :) I’m not sure what’s going on with the reply. Before, when I hit reply, it would give me a box to reply in, now it just puts my cursor in the bottom of the original response with no reply box…
So after you were able to tolerate more vitamin d, did you notice a change with how you feel in general?

@kangaSue
Interesting. I know nothing about Taurine. I just looked it up and I’m not a vegetarian, but I don’t eat really any fish, as it tends to be high histamine, which I have a huge problem with. But I also recently learned that low vitamin d can play a huge part in histamine issues. So maybe that is something to look into. Or a taurine supplement. Thanks! :)

YippeeKi YOW !!

@BMO66

I'm not sure you saw my response re taurine, above .... check it out ....

One of the functions of the 'Like' button at the bottom right of a post is to let the poster know that you've read it, seen it, or at least know that it's there ....

ALSO, UNSOLICITED INPUT ON POSTING, APOLOGIES UP FRONT, CAUSE EVERYONE LOVES UNSOLICITED ADVICE :):) :rolleyes: .....
  • If you hit 'Enter' at the bottom of the post you're responding to, the ENTIRE post appears in the 'Reply' box, at bottom of the page, ad it gets hard to now what, exactly, you're responding to. It also clutters the page and a lot of members will just skip your post and move on ....
  • If you highlight a paragraph or even just a sentence, a small pop-up box will appear, giving you a choice of 'Reply' or 'Quote'.
  • If there're several things that you want to respond to or comment on, highlight them, click on 'Quote', and move on to the next sentence.
  • WHen you're done, drop down to the 'Reply' window, and at the bottom left side, you'll see 'Insert Quotes'.
  • Click on that, and everything you highlighted will appear in a large window, where you can delete ones that you might not need any more, and you can rearraNge the order of the remaining quotes if you want to.
  • At the bottom of that 'Quotes' window, hit 'Insert Quotes", and everything you quoted will appear in the 'Reply' window.
  • Make sure you put a space between them to avoid having your answer disappear into that soft pink mist, and respond to each quote that you want to reply to ...
  • When done, hit 'Post reply' and you're done ...

YippeeKi YOW !!

Once I stabilized, everything slowly, gradually returned to normal, but before that, taurine made me want to peel my skin off and knit it into a tea cozy ....
The 'normal' I'm referencing here isnt like normal-normal, it just means that I was able to slowly start adding back various foods and nutrient sources that I'd had to eliminate for over two years, which is what allowed me to ore or less normalize, or in this case, get back to my previous baseline..
So after you were able to tolerate more vitamin d, did you notice a change with how you feel in general?
It's hard to be precise, since I was adding back bits of everything I'd previously had to eliminate, but generally, Id have to say yes. I noticed an improvement in mood, some increase in cognitive that sort of comes and goes, but before Vit D, didnt bother to show up at all. I have more 'better' days than I did before Vit D increase.

So all in all, yeah, it really did help. Not the Holy Grail, but definitely an improvement ...

kangaSue

It depends on the individual system.

While taurine can modulate calcium release, which could partly explain it's help in metabolizing and utilizing D3, it's also one of 4 amino-thiols, so if you're sensitive to sulfur, it may not have the same effect as it would otherwise, and could actually create uncomfortable problems.

At the same time that I was reactive to, like, everything :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, I discovered that I'd developed an extreme sensitivity to sulfurs, from selenomethionine to taurine, cysteine, MSM, etc.

Once I stabilized, everything slowly, gradually returned to normal, but before that, taurine made me want to peel my skin off and knit it into a tea cozy ..
Lots of claims are made about sulfur sensitivity or intolerance but science based evidence of such is severely lacking. Have to quote a couple of things @Pyrrhus has said or posted on that subject;
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...hing-as-sulfur-intolerance-minich-2018.86817/

"They also talk about so-called "sulfur intolerance", which is a concept that doesn't make much sense as sulfur is not a molecule, just an atom. The human body is full of natural molecules that happen to contain sulfur and our diet is full of important nutrients that happen to contain sulfur. We simply couldn't live without these important nutrients that happen to contain sulfur."

Taurine did cause me an outbreak of a skin rash though, but that was solved from supplementing a bit of molydenum which plays a role in sulfite oxidase, which is used in the final step of the degradation of cysteine.