• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

vit d making me sick?

Hi,
I am wondering what other people's experience with vit d supplements are. If I take a vit d supplement, eat anything with fortified vit d and sometimes even foods that naturally contain high amounts of vit d I get sick. The symptoms are weakness,fatigue and sometimes muscle aches. Sunlight id fine. If anybody else experiences this or understands why this may be happening I would love to hear from you.Doctors sre clueless. Its been a long time since I have tried to get vit f from anything but sunlight but being mostly bedbound/housebound makesit diffucult. Especially summers in Az.

Pyrrhus

If you search this forum with Google Site Search, you should find other people’s experiences with vitamin D.

Personally, I have experienced the effects you describe with small doses of supplemental vitamin D. On other occasions, I have taken daily vitamin D supplements without any problem. So what you describe may turn out to be a start-up effect, which would only last for the first month or two of supplementation...

YippeeKi YOW !!

@jma4
I had a similar experience with supplemental Vit D after years of taking it with no problem prior to this illness. I stopped it entirely for a little over a year, but detrioration that could be linked to low D levels drove me to find it in a liquid, dose-controllable, form.

I started with a tiny dose, and once I was sure there was no negative response, I very slowly upped it a bit. This process went on for a year, and I finally got up to a decent dose and feel much better, at least in those areas that seemed directly connected to intensely low Vit D levels.

I dont know if this might be a decent experiment for you, or too great a risk to even try.

I agree with @Pyrrhus .... start-up effects can be really nasty and not to be underestimated, but I also sympathize with problems with getting enough Vit D, especially with this illness and in a summer-inclement place like Arizona.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I have to take mine with K2 or I get horrible leg cramps. I also think brand matters. Some brands do make me feel yuck. Even the hypoallergenic type.

Everyone is different but I've had the most success with Solgar fish oil type at 1000 iu's if I'm taking a low dose or Prohealth brand Mega D3 25K if I'm taking the high dose. I take them with Innovalabs Full Spectrum Vitamin K2. Some people don't recommend taking the D3 and K2 together but I find I have to.

I didn't put links because I'm not trying to promote these brands necessarily. As I said what works for one person doesn't always work for someone else especially with this disease.

Shoshana

Northern USA
I have wondered at times, if different people actually should have different levels for themselves, and if maybe more vit d is not good for some, while is perhaps needed for others.
Of course, I have no answers to my quandaries.

I did find, as @YippeeKi YOW !! that the only type i could tolerate, is liquid, and as @Judee said, mine has a bit of K2 in it.
I could be very gradual with increasing it, due to it being a liquid, and i do not have any problems from that form, and i feel good knowing that it made my level go up some.

I am always indoors and cannot digest foods with much in it.

However, i was disappointed that even over a long time now, it has not made me feel any noticeable improvements.

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
This may or may not have anything to do with what you are experiencing, but here's what happened to me.

Back in 2014 and 2015 my Vitamin D levels where in the upper teens. Very low. I had a very poor reaction to vitamin D supplementation, but I don't recall exactly what those reactions were.

That was my severe brain fog phase (also, my high sensitivity to sound, light, and practically any other physical or mental sensation phase).

So we ended up purchasing a UVB light, one that produces, or allows the body to produce / absorb, vitamin D (I'm sure someone will correct me, but I don't feel like looking up the exacting details here, in regards to the process / how it works).

It took three years, but I was gradually able to increase my D level into the upper 30s and low 40s. And along with several other simple life changes, my energy has gradually increased as well.

I cannot, however, directly attribute my increased energy and severely diminished PEM specifically to my vitamin D improvement, but perhaps it helped.

I've made ten major lifestyle tweaks / diet changes during this period of time, and any one, or all of them, may have led to the overall improvement, energy-wise.

And I too had terrible leg cramps after having restarted vitamin D3 recently, within this past calendar year. My UVB light went on the fritz, so I thought... what the heck, right?

Someone explained to me that it could be a magnesium deficiency causing this reaction, but again, I don't really know anything. :)

Archie

Having too much calcium in the blood can lead to a wide range of complications and symptoms. Some of the most serious include:

• a loss of appetite
  • diarrhea and constipation
  • confusion, disorientation, or trouble thinking
  • nausea and vomiting
  • joint and muscle pain
  • continuous headaches
  • irritability and anxiety
  • unexplained exhaustion
  • muscle weakness
  • increased thirst and more frequent urination
  • an irregular heartbeat
  • reduced reflexes
  • a metallic taste in the mouth
  • high blood pressure
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322602.php

Vitamin d increase calcium in the blood , and most of the people seems to be magnesium deficient

Could there also be a connection about lead toxicity and vitamin D ?

"SUMMARY 1. In rats with experimental lead poisoning a high calcium-low phospho- rus diet produced the most rapid loss of lead from the skeleton, accom- panied by the highest blood lead level. A high phosphorus-low calcium diet produced the slowest loss of lead and the lowest blood lead level. 2. The addition of vitamin D to the diets produced (a) a decrease in blood lead, (b) decreased loss of bone lead, (c) a rise in the serum Ca X P product, (d) an increase in the per cent of ash in bone, and (e) an increase in weight of all the animals. 3. Vitamin D during lead administration enhances lead absorption, caus- ing a rise in blood lead. After lead administration has ceased, however, the antirachitic vitamin, to the degree that it causes a rise in serum phos- phate, depresses blood lead. The high calcium-low phosphorus diet, by decreasing serum phosphate, causes a concomitant rise in blood lead at the expense of bone lead. On the other hand, in the high phosphorus-low calcium diet the resulting rise in serum phosphate is paralleled by a low blood lead level and decreased loss of bone lead. 4. High blood lead is accompanied by low serum phosphorus and vice versa, but there is no simple reciprocal relationship. "

http://www.jbc.org/content/212/1/105.full.pdf

I also seen that vitamin K is good to take along vitamin D

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
weakness,fatigue and sometimes muscle aches

I agree with Archie's post.

I've been avoiding vitamin D for years because it makes me feel worse, and now I think I know why. Since vitamin D increases calcium absorption it can throw off your calcium to magnesium balance. I only recently realized that this happens to me when I eat high calcium foods, or take vitamin D, or even worse, do both.

Eating foods high in magnesium wasn't enough to correct the balance, only a magnesium supplement helped to relieve the weakness, fatigue, and muscle aching.

People with ME/CFS are often low in magnesium to start with, so adding vitamin D or a high calcium diet can easily make things worse without a magnesium supplement to help maintain the calcium-magnesium balance.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Here's more info about the importance of taking magnesium with vitamin D.

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/magnesium-and-vitamin-d.html
Since magnesium is required for the conversion of vitamin d into its active form, it's also true that taking vitamin d _may not raise_ Vitamin D Blood Levels in those who are magnesium deficient!! Be sure that you read this again and understand this magnesium and vitamin d interrelationship:
  1. Magnesium is 'Used Up' when Vitamin D is converted into its active form in the blood
  2. Magnesium is 'Required' to convert Vitamin D into its active form in the blood
It works BOTH ways. Magnesium is not JUST depleted, but you won't convert vitamin d unless you have enough magnesium in order to allow vitamin d to BE converted!! In many cases where large doses of vitamin d are taken but the vitamin d level does not come up, both the person deficient and their doctor believe that they are having Vitamin D Absorption problems.

[Deficiencies, induced]
from http://drcarolyndean.com/2014/06/no-clear-role-for-vitamin-d/
So, if you take Vitamin D in high doses and don’t have enough magnesium, zinc, Vitamin K2, Vitamin A or boron, then Vitamin D isn’t going to work. Or in the worst case scenario, the excess Vitamin D gives you symptoms of deficiency of these nutrients.

When someone is low in magnesium and they take high doses of Vitamin D (above 1,000 iu per day), their magnesium is further depleted and they experience symptoms of magnesium deficiency. People have told me about 6-week migraines, seizures, angina, heart palpitations, and muscle cramping when they take Vitamin D. Some very magnesium deficient people can get symptoms when they lie out in the sun because the Vitamin D they are making uses up what little magnesium they have.

Archie

Here's more info about the importance of taking magnesium with vitamin D.

Hmm , no wonder then that my body seems to love magnesium, i been Self-adjusting daily magnesium dosage up to 1000mg ,sometimes about 700mg also thought , but it is still more than any RDI or other official values . I think when stressed we burn magnesium a lot , i am guessing between 200-400mg at least just from " stress " factor and that might explain the higher daily intake need, and who is not stessed with ME/CFS .

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Since we're discussing magnesium I'll add that magnesium citrate causes increased brainfog for some people, including me. I'm fine with magnesium glycinate or magnesium ascorbate (which is useful since I take vitamin C anyway).

Since we're discussing magnesium I'll add that magnesium citrate causes increased brainfog for some people, including me. I'm fine with magnesium glycinate or magnesium ascorbate (which is useful since I take vitamin C anyway).

Thanks for all your input. I take alot of magnesium so thats probably not a problem. Other than sunlight the best way for me to get vitd (after reading theses posts would be to see if I can find a bioidentical supplement. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator: