• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Virusy Neck Sensation

I'm about 4 years into ME/CFS and continue to have a constant feeling of tightness in my neck.

My situation is pretty unique in that I have had a Radical Neck Dissection due to thyroid cancer. So, many of the nerves in my neck have been severed and a large number of my lymph nodes have been "cleaned out".

It feels like I have swollen lymph nodes 100% of the time as if I am always on the verge of being sick. However, I have been to an ENT and they did not find any swollen lymph nodes. The "pain in the neck" gets worse when other symptoms(exhaustion, brain fog, headaches) are worse.

I just really want to know if anyone has this sensation and if there is any way to get some temporary relief from this constant annoyance.

I have tried many, many things to relieve this pain without any success. My other symptoms have improved over the past 4 years but this one remains a stubborn and constant annoyance.

There probably aren't very many people with my particular situation(extensive neck surgery and cfs/me) but I am quite desperate for some relief so thought I would give this forum a try.
-Snealer

ljimbo423

I just really want to know if anyone has this sensation and if there is any way to get some temporary relief from this constant annoyance.

Sorry, I don't know what to do to help this. I have that constant tightness in my neck too. I feel it now as I type this. It gets worse when I experience PEM.

From reading many posts here, this kind of neck tension is fairly common in ME/CFS.

Maybe somebody else has some suggestions that can help you get relief from this.

Rufous McKinney

There probably aren't very many people with my particular situation(extensive neck surgery and cfs/me) but I am quite desperate for some relief so thought I would give this forum a try.

Have neck issues here, but no history of surgeries etc. I'm sorry such a difficult thing happened.

It might be worth trying biomagnets. I used them periodically. Rare earth magnets- I got a kit with several for around $65.

They help somethings. So I often wear them on my collar or on a scarf and my neck is less inflammed wearing them and feels less bad.

Its possible- they might not help with the nerve damage, but: its worth a try. Plus you can use them on other locations...including Adrenals. They work- on acupressure points- a bit like acu-pressure does.

I put them on my aching knee and it stops aching. I"ve worn them at nite sleepig on wrists. If you have an Ok heart- the sternum is a key point.

Can find a link if you like.